Electric Vehicles etc

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
FFS. I really want a Model Y Long Range and there is no release date in Australia. Now there are rumous of a new version in development in the US with a range increased from 500km to 800km which would suit my weekend camping trip lifestyle. I don't want to pay $80k for a Model Y Long Range if the next year model has a 60% increase in range for a similar price.

I need a car for January when I start a new job and I feel like I'm being forced into buying an internal combustion car due to a lack of availability of a suitable/desirable electric option.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I need a car for January when I start a new job and I feel like I'm being forced into buying an internal combustion car due to a lack of availability of a suitable/desirable electric option.
i dont think you'd be getting even the current model by Jan

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I feel like I'm being forced into buying an internal combustion car due to a lack of availability of a suitable/desirable electric option.
welcome to the neoliberal wet dream that was Australia for the last decade ;)

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
would the difference between 500 and 800km range be a big deal? in highway terms it wont as youd be stopping well within that range for a break anyway, but at the limits of your journeys away from fast chargers?

I felt like i was tripped to an EV as none of the hot hatches i was interested in had a clue when they would be available.

k3n!f

would the difference between 500 and 800km range be a big deal?
It would be in Tassie for weekend trips away. 800km would basically mean you could do a round trip anywhere on a weekend and not have to charge until you get home. The network down there at the moment looks pretty sparse if you are out of the major metro centers.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It would be in Tassie for weekend trips away. 800km would basically mean you could do a round trip anywhere on a weekend and not have to charge until you get home. The network down there at the moment looks pretty sparse if you are out of the major metro centers.
just hook up ol' range extender

Haakon

Surprisingly tassie is pretty decent for charging stations around the place.

goobags

Likes Dirt
800km range means it will never actually be able of doing 800km on one charge. Take into account not running it zero, cold weather performance and they never get the rated range anyway.

I never chose between two cars that did either 500km or 1000km on one tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
just hook up ol' range extender
6x4 box trailer cargo capacity is 1.2x1.8x0.3 approx 0.65m3

Lithium iron phosphate has an energy density of 320Wh/L and 160Wh/kg, but very safe. In comparison Panasonics highest energy density cells are ball park 720Wh/L and 260Wh/kg but Roman candles waiting to go off.

650 x 320 = 208 kWH and 1300kg. Ignoring the extra mass of the trailer and cells, a Tesla model 3 is rated at 119 Wh/km, so 1747 km theoretical range.

Ok running a 400vdc cable is a little risky but I cannot see why hiring a battery trailer for extended trips when needed couldn’t be the better solution here. Of course it’s not in the car manufacturers interest to sell lower range cars and have users hire extra capacity to meet requirements, but it sure works for the environment and the end users pocket.

k3n!f

I never chose between two cars that did either 500km or 1000km on one tank
Your point is valid. I guess I'm expecting 10-20% shorter range than advertised so the current 500km in the real world is probably just over 400km. Driving from Hobart to Cradle Mountain according to the Model Y sat nav would require a detour to Launceston to safely get back to civilization on the return trip.

I'm mostly just nervous about buying one with a 500km range if they are going to get dramatically better in the next 3 years with improved battery technology. I would much rather manage a whole weekend away on a single charge like we do with a tank of diesel.

But if the Model Y Long Range was available currently I would have ordered it already.

Edit - Some of the real world experience articles sound pretty frustrating. It does seem like range anxiety is mostly charger axiety, especially out of the big smoke.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Edit - Some of the real world experience articles sound pretty frustrating. It does seem like range anxiety is mostly charger axiety, especially out of the big smoke.

And that's between the big big smokes. I don't see my location and financial situation improving in the next decade, which means my next vehicle is most likely going to have an ICE. Maybe the one after will be a second hand EV

Haakon

And that's between the big big smokes. I don't see my location and financial situation improving in the next decade, which means my next vehicle is most likely going to have an ICE. Maybe the one after will be a second hand EV
If I was in the sticks and needing to soak up a lot of kms I’d be tempted by the current Camry Hybrid. It’s not exactly a drivers car, but the dollars per kms equation is very good and it’s an excellent mile muncher on the highway.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
If I was in the sticks and needing to soak up a lot of kms I’d be tempted by the current Camry Hybrid. It’s not exactly a drivers car, but the dollars per kms equation is very good and it’s an excellent mile muncher on the highway.
Drove a lot of hire camry hybrids in my last job. Great cars.

smaj

Likes Dirt

Seems like we might be seeing more of these teardrop-shaped cars, as they chase efficiency. And on the other hand you have the F-150 Lightning, basically a brick on wheels (with a huge battery; 98 kWh for 386km range, or 131 kWh for 483km range).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
800k range is nuts. But good for those in the used market who won't need that much.
I wonder where the range/efficiency balance point is.

Like people that fit duel tank to their 4WDs so they can drive further, but do it with poorer economy because they're carting an extra 70-150L of fuel. Electric being so torquey maybe if you're not doing stop-start more capacity would actually be better...?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Seems like we might be seeing more of these teardrop-shaped cars, as they chase efficiency. And on the other hand you have the F-150 Lightning, basically a brick on wheels (with a huge battery; 98 kWh for 386km range, or 131 kWh for 483km range).
Yeah aero is important. When we had the Bluemotion diesel thing years ago it was getting Prius economy in hyper miling tests but they only go 70km/h in most of those because you start to have too much wind resistance. If they can make 100km/h the same resistance as most other cars at 70 then it increases range.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I wonder where the range/efficiency balance point is.

Like people that fit duel tank to their 4WDs so they can drive further, but do it with poorer economy because they're carting an extra 70-150L of fuel. Electric being so torquey maybe if you're not doing stop-start more capacity would actually be better...?
I think there's going to be really long range but let's say 500km is a balance point for the sake of a round number. We might have 500km with 50% less weight in the not too distant future which would start to make cars feel much closer to the petrol counterparts in terms of nimble handling.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Literally the anti-drivers car, but I'd consider one as well. Plus (weirdly) I like that whiirring noise when they come to a stop. No wagon though.