Evolutionary stages

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So my potential fix (freehub replacement x2) arrived today. Unfortunately neither of the fit. Of course attempting to fit them turned into a long drawn out process...bits dropping out, cleaning, regressing, where the fuck did I put the past pawl, and so on. It's all back together now and still works, so I need to decide between:
- Buy the hub Minlak linked to and use it for parts.
- buy a whole new rear wheel.

Im going to weigh up the options on this for a little while. The build is dragging on so I'm going to roll with the current cassette set up and finish the fucker off. I'll worry about fitting the bigger set up in the future when I work out a wheel solution.

Flow-Rider

Burner
What a chunt act, see this is why I hate the world these days because everything is throw away and most people accept it. I have seen some people file back the freehub body drive teeth and insert some cut to size stainless steel shims. If you really wanted to be a spoofa, you could Araldite them in place.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So my potential fix (freehub replacement x2) arrived today. Unfortunately neither of the fit. Of course attempting to fit them turned into a long drawn out process...bits dropping out, cleaning, regressing, where the fuck did I put the past pawl, and so on. It's all back together now and still works, so I need to decide between:
- Buy the hub Minlak linked to and use it for parts.
- buy a whole new rear wheel.

Im going to weigh up the options on this for a little while. The build is dragging on so I'm going to roll with the current cassette set up and finish the fucker off. I'll worry about fitting the bigger set up in the future when I work out a wheel solution.
I'll go in for a group buy on 2 rear wheels if ya want?

Flow-Rider

Burner
What have you got there?
It's a Hope pro 4 hub (135mm) with allen key threaded retaining bolts to do away with skewers. I used the hubs to build up some e-thirteen rims at the beginning on the year and I might transfer them to a dirt jump bike later on. I don't think you can change the end caps on these for different axles lengths though, the front hub you can it's normal. They have been a good solid wheel in 26" and no complaints here so far.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well...this afternoon I decided to make another attempt at releasing my freehub body from the evil clutches of the cassette. I started out with a bit of tap-a-tap-a-tap-aaaaaaah fuck it, whack!

DSC_1342~4.jpg

Turns out it just needed more hammer. Last time round I was rather forceful. I tried hammer, screwdriver, vice, chain whip, pliers, multigrips, and not had any luck. But I'd forgotten that each cog in my fancy ultegra cassette was individual except the top couple. Having remembered that today I bashed those fuckers loose one at time. I've since filed down the burs and will just jam the new cassette on. It will jam, but I'm not too worried.

DSC_1343~2.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Well...this afternoon I decided to make another attempt at releasing my freehub body from the evil clutches of the cassette. I started out with a bit of tap-a-tap-a-tap-aaaaaaah fuck it, whack!
It's ok, you just gently bashed the crap out of it yelling out 'die, ... die,.... damn you, ..... die'. Glad you got it sorted and you must feel very relaxed now.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
"No problem was ever solved by not hitting something hard enough." - Warren Ellis

(the comicbook writer, not the bloke from Dirty Three)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thank you gentlemen. I do feel relieved, though I know it will only be short lived. When this hub shits itself it will be time for an all round reassessment of things. Until then...I shall roll forward with the fist of fury!

Well..she's off:rofl:
It is indeed. Those burs are all from the cassette cutting in under drive...I had to punch it off in the opposite direction. They were all around the mofo.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is indeed. Those burs are all from the cassette cutting in under drive...I had to punch it off in the opposite direction. They were all around the mofo.
The amount of sheer power from those track racing thighs shredding that poor defenceless pr0n anodised freehub in the small cogs must be huge.
You have to roll a bit more. Get thee a cast iron freehub ye heareth and bugger thy weight........... :yuck:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The amount of sheer power from those track racing thighs shredding that poor defenceless pr0n anodised freehub in the small cogs must be huge.
You have to roll a bit more. Get thee a cast iron freehub ye heareth and bugger thy weight........... :yuck:
Will be ordering the steel freehub for my hope wheels soon. This Da Bomb hub is no longer introduction.