Formula One world championship

willsy01

Eats Squid
Never seems to stop millions of fans from tuning in to see MotoGP races, with guys hanging off bikes doing three times that speed.
Nomex driving suit =/ Alpinestars Tech Air leathers.

If Fred had driven another 10m and pulled to the right, Mark would not have been deemed to have entered the track and there wouldn't have been a problem.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If they had been smarter about it and Alonso had pulled off had pulled off the track would of been much better than just stopping in the middle of the track.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What a great event, what a spectacle and what a massive compliment it is to the calendar. I'll be going back for sure but you know what? I reckon we do it better here in Australia. ;)
We saw some great things in Singapore and the show was amazing.
I will say that I will forever judge any person who says they like Rihanna as a boring mute who has no musical bones in there body. That swamp donkey played a show at the circuit after the race and we walked through it as we had to go that way to get out. I'm alarmed that people consider that excretion of body fluids entertaining.

The booing of Vettel is shit. Stop doing it you "once a year" morons. Watch and enjoy the guy being at one with a machine in near perfect harmony and respect it. It's something that doesn't come along too often in any sport and he should be being cheered.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What a great event, what a spectacle and what a massive compliment it is to the calendar. I'll be going back for sure but you know what? I reckon we do it better here in Australia. ;)
Hell no!

They've ditched the post concert gigs in Oz -say what you want about Rhianna but The Killers were great and Tom Jones was a dead-set legend- the beer is shite in Melbourne (boags draught) and theres way too much queuing. I don't think I ever had to queue for food/drink/toilet in Singapore apart from on the rare occasionand even then it wouldn't be for long. They kept the proper bars open to the public (unlike Albert Park where they all get taken over by corporate events) and even laid on a couple of VIP area style tents that were open to anyone.

The food stalls were the absolute business. A great variety although slightly pricey. The forgotten 7/11 was a brilliant source of ridiculously cheap drink and there were plenty of video screens for those of us walking around. Also, the grandstands appeared to have their own bars and toilets unlike Melbourne where you'll pay $400 for a seat and still have to trek all the way outside and queue up with the General Admission plebs.

I couldn't fault Singapore's organisation at all. It was an absolute cracker of a weekend!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hell no!

They've ditched the post concert gigs in Oz -say what you want about Rhianna but The Killers were great and Tom Jones was a dead-set legend- the beer is shite in Melbourne (boags draught) and theres way too much queuing. I don't think I ever had to queue for food/drink/toilet in Singapore apart from on the rare occasionand even then it wouldn't be for long. They kept the proper bars open to the public (unlike Albert Park where they all get taken over by corporate events) and even laid on a couple of VIP area style tents that were open to anyone.

The food stalls were the absolute business. A great variety although slightly pricey. The forgotten 7/11 was a brilliant source of ridiculously cheap drink and there were plenty of video screens for those of us walking around. Also, the grandstands appeared to have their own bars and toilets unlike Melbourne where you'll pay $400 for a seat and still have to trek all the way outside and queue up with the General Admission plebs.

I couldn't fault Singapore's organisation at all. It was an absolute cracker of a weekend!
Hmm, I'm actually eating my words now as you're totally right. The longest line up I stood in was for the dunny near the Padang and that was only five minutes. In Australia, you give up on the queue and just pooh in the lake. ;)
Our Mark is getting feisty over the penalty! On the upside, everytime he qualifies outside the top ten he seems to drive a great race. He could win from that far back!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hmm, I'm actually eating my words now as you're totally right. The longest line up I stood in was for the dunny near the Padang and that was only five minutes. In Australia, you give up on the queue and just pooh in the lake. ;)
Our Mark is getting feisty over the penalty! On the upside, everytime he qualifies outside the top ten he seems to drive a great race. He could win from that far back!
better yet... dont qualify/just put in one flying lap in Q3 for the 107% time.

even if he put it on pole he'd be starting 11th and 17th by the first turn.
dont qualify, have a bucket of tyres and probably go from last to 17th by the first turn...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Just been thinking about Vettel's continued booing at Singapore. He singled it out as being 'Ferrari fans' but I would wager that given that Singapore had a massive contingent of drunk Brits and Aussies it was less about his dominance and more about his unrepentant attitude over the 'multi-21' shenanigans and do you know what? If the guy still stands by his ignoring of team orders and pulling a fast-one over his team-mate for the sake of 8 points that in hindsight make sweet fuck all difference to the championship, then fuck him. Until he apologises and shows a bit of humility towards over his actions then we can all assume the booing is over his unsportsmanlike behaviour and is perfectly justified.

And that bloody finger.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just been thinking about Vettel's continued booing at Singapore. He singled it out as being 'Ferrari fans' but I would wager that given that Singapore had a massive contingent of drunk Brits and Aussies it was less about his dominance and more about his unrepentant attitude over the 'multi-21' shenanigans and do you know what? If the guy still stands by his ignoring of team orders and pulling a fast-one over his team-mate for the sake of 8 points that in hindsight make sweet fuck all difference to the championship, then fuck him. Until he apologises and shows a bit of humility towards over his actions then we can all assume the booing is over his unsportsmanlike behaviour and is perfectly justified.

And that bloody finger.
Kind of related, I would say that the crowd was made up of more Red Bull fans than anything else if you go by the amount of shirts on display. They could've been Aussie people but Red Bull merchandise is way more seen in Singapore than Ferrari stuff. It was actually rare to see a McLaren T shirt too!

So what happened to all those that said Merc would win everything from here on out?
Red Bull cupped Pirelli's balls in their hands and pleaded for them to revert back to the tyres that suited them?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So what happened to all those that said Merc would win everything from here on out?
They are a lot more competitive than they were last year. I'm pretty keen for next years season, it's got all the potential of being pretty wild with all the changes.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kind of related, I would say that the crowd was made up of more Red Bull fans than anything else if you go by the amount of shirts on display. They could've been Aussie people but Red Bull merchandise is way more seen in Singapore than Ferrari stuff. It was actually rare to see a McLaren T shirt too!

Red Bull cupped Pirelli's balls in their hands and pleaded for them to revert back to the tyres that suited them?
The new tyre compound should of suited Merc and helped their tyre degradation.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I can tell you right now that Singapore was all Aussies and Poms, cant say I even saw anyone from singapore there. There also seemed to be a lot of webber fans not that i can work out why, I still thinks hes a bit of a dick myself.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The FIA have released next years calendar. India has been given the arse (probably won't see much in the way of complaint there) and it looks like we're going to have a whopping 22 races!

That said, Korea is still provisional and it wouldn't surprise me if that gets ditched at the behest of the teams.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the New Jersey track turns out. Scenically its a spectacular setting and I think there are going to be quite a few elevation changes. Also the timing between the New Jersey and Canadian GP, and the Austin and Mexico GP's make for two very tempting road trips!

March 16: Australia
March 30: Malaysia
April 6: Bahrain
April 20: China
April 27: Korea (provisional)
May 11: Spain
May 25: Monaco
June 1: USA, New Jersey (provisional*)
June 8: Canada
June 22: Austria
July 6: Great Britain
July 20: Germany
July 27: Hungary
August 24: Belgium
September 7: Italy
September 21: Singapore
October 5: Russia
October 12: Japan
October 26: Abu Dhabi
November 9: USA, Austin
November 16: Mexico (provisional*)
November 30: Brazil
* subject to circuit approval

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can tell you right now that Singapore was all Aussies and Poms, cant say I even saw anyone from singapore there. There also seemed to be a lot of webber fans not that i can work out why, I still thinks hes a bit of a dick myself.
Aussies and Poms in the same crowd can be a bad mix but imagine an Australian Pom! That is a cocktail for destruction, I'm sure you agree POSM. ;)
I have refrained from saying it but some of the Singaporean people who showed up and watched their first Grand Prix in Singapore and purchased a Red Bull Racing T shirt were the most annoying, childish and ignorant pricks to watch a race with. Sit down, don't wave your fucking pink fold out fan at Vettel everytime he drives past and don't stick your finger up at the car in second place and laugh unless you want a bleeding nose and a swimming lesson. Yeah, I had that group of jerks sitting in front of me and for that reason, I hoped for once that Vettel shit himself right in front of us so I could wipe the stupid grin off their cockhead faces.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The other teams have found a way to push Red Bull to the limit and have arranged a typhoon to head towards Korea! If it eventuates, it could stop the race altogether. Thank fuck we didn't plan to go to that eh POSM! From www.grandprix.com :
Just as formula one sets up at the Yeongam circuit, a typhoon is headed for Korea.The state news agency Yonhap said Typhoon Fitow is currently scheduled to hit the very south of South Korea on race-day Sunday.And the Chosun Ilbo daily said the typhoon is expected to bring "a lot of rain" and gusty winds.If the typhoon does strike, it will not be the first time bad weather has affected the Korean grand prix.
In 2010, heavy rain delayed the start of F1's first race in Korea.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
courtesy of The Age
MOKPO: Jenson Button has called on the FIA to increase the minimum weight limit for next year's cars after claiming that taller, heavier drivers are being unfairly discriminated against.
With heavy showers expected on Sunday - the latest forecasts still have Typhoon Fitow just missing the Korean Peninsula and heading west towards China instead - a storm of a different kind was brewing in Korea on Thursday as the notoriously thorny issue of driver weight reared its head.
The Grand Prix Drivers Association is expected to discuss the issue on Friday night.

The issue has been put firmly back on the agenda in recent weeks with speculation that Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg, widely regarded as one of the sport's most promising talents, may miss out on a drive next year because he weighs 74 kilograms.
It was rumoured in Germany this week that Hulkenberg may have missed out on a race seat at McLaren due to his weight. He has also been overlooked by Ferrari and is vying with the much lighter Felipe Massa for a race seat at Lotus.
Force India's Paul di Resta, who weighs in at 74kg, is another driver sweating on his future.

Former formula one driver David Coulthard has admitted to suffering from bulimia. Photo: Shaney Balcombe
Red Bull's Mark Webber responded to the speculation by tweeting his sympathy for heavier drivers, claiming that he has been starving himself for years and adding that the perfect driver weight was now between 60 to 65kg.
The Australian, 182cm tall, weighs around 75kg compared with his teammate Sebastian Vettel who is 175cm and weighs 64kg. "Haven't eaten for last 5 years!" Webber wrote. "Min weight been to [sic] low since for ages. Perfect driver now weight 60/65kg."
The issue of driver weight is a long-standing one in formula one. David Coulthard admitted to suffering from bulimia as a teenager as he struggled to make his way in the sport. While Button said he was in no danger of developing an eating disorder, he admitted that he fasts before each race and "never" eats carbohydrates.
The 2009 world champion said that it was high time drivers put self-interest aside to create "a level playing field" ahead of next year's step-change in the regulations.
The introduction in 2014 of new turbocharged engines allied to heavier, more powerful energy recovery systems has already seen the governing body increase the minimum weight limit of the cars plus drivers to 690kg from 642kg.
However, the extra 48kg will almost certainly be taken up by the new power units, meaning even less leeway for drivers than there is at present. Lighter drivers currently have the luxury of being able to move ballast around the car in order to bring it up to the minimum weight.
Button claimed that he was already "on the limit" in his McLaren at just 70kg and had sometimes stepped over it. "I have about six per cent body fat and I am on the limit in our car," he said. "I couldn't be heavier than I am so I fast before the race.
"The problem is that it will stop people looking at taller drivers in the future. You could have a very talented driver who could be missed for his height and weight even if he is the fittest and skinniest driver ever to be in a racing car. If he is over the weight by five kilos that is 0.2 secs-a-lap and it is the end of your career basically.
"It needs to change now. To be fair, we [the drivers] should have pushed harder on that. I think the drivers would rather have a level playing field. It is not a safety issue and it should be an easy thing to change: just put [the minimum weight] up five or 10kg."
Button conceded that some drivers and teams would not be as keen as others. "Some teams might not want to change the weight because they have light drivers and know they can make a light car and engine package," he said. "That might be us [McLaren] but we should all agree to be fair and raise the weights. I would love to be able to eat again.
"In the past three years, I have probably had four races where I have lost half-a-tenth or a tenth of a second because I have been overweight. It sounds small but in qualifying that could be a position or two and in the race it could be five or six seconds.
"It is a big deal and something that goes unnoticed."
Lewis Hamilton produced an amusing aside to the issue by suggesting only drastic action could enable him to reach Webber's ideal driver weight.
He said: "I weigh about 71kg. I was never 65kg. I was 68kg last year but I have put on three kilos since then. The guys have not told me to do that [lose weight]. I actually want to put on another kilo of muscle! I think Michael [Schumacher] was 78kg with all his kit and Adrian Sutil was 82kg. I am not going to be 65kg unless I cut my nuts off."
Hell yeah! How in the hell are you supposed to look up to an F1 driver if he's knee-high to a jockey?

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The other teams have found a way to push Red Bull to the limit and have arranged a typhoon to head towards Korea! If it eventuates, it could stop the race altogether. Thank fuck we didn't plan to go to that eh POSM!
Yeah, I don't think the current circuit in Korea will ever be on my to-do list. Martin Brundle yesterday tweeted a pic of all the container ships saying that the boats are a bit bigger than Monaco but ultimately it's all a bit Seoul-less.

Comedy isn't really his thing..,

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Seoul-less...........I bet he's saved that up all year.
When the Korean race appeared a few years back it was promised to turn into an area of high rise buildings and have a bit of flair. It's still a bloody swamp! Still, I don't care, I am happy to see the Formula One gig on TV during our daylight, makes for an early Sunday night for once!
Is the only way to beat Vettel going to be someone taking him out in turn one at the start? Me thinks so..................