Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Branch is the fuckin' man, though. Stoked for him. Gonna watch whatever of the Strongman stuff I can later, I heard Poundstone is no longer a typical fat lifter, but now some shredded Dragon Ball Z character. Or something.

Get stuck right into that dead! First time I pulled 4 plates I nearly creamed my pants, amazing feeling dude. Gonna go for 4-5 reps of 175 this week, see how that goes.
Lol DBZ character... Huge respect for lean powerlifters! I mean, bodybuilders can move big weight but there not really strong. Lean PL'er = winner. Yeh Branch is pretty cool but I like the small waist to shoulder ratio. Branch is like thick all over lol.

Yeh I'll see how I go re: DL. Been awhile since I've tested 1RM and my squat has improved alot so It's feeling good!

Been trialling a new workout plan this week aswell so I'm going to roll with this until Easter and see how much I've improved.
http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/15446-steve-0s-training-log-4.html#post257519

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Update:

I'm moving on from SS. Pretty happy with my lifts except for bench...

Squat - 100kg 3 x 5.

Dead - 140kg 1 x 5.

Mil Press - 37.5kg 3 x 5.

Bench - 57.5kg 3 x 5.

DB Rows - 35kg 3 x 5.

Dips - bodyweight 2 x 8.

Have put on 8-10kg of good mass but have slowed down so I think it's time for a change.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be trialling a 3 day split on a 3x8 platform;

Biceps/back (deadlifts, rows, preachers, concentration and/or db hammer curls, cable work).

Triceps/chest (flat bench, decline, incline, dips, skullcrushers, overhead db pulls, db flyes etc).

Legs/shoulders (Squat, mil press, lateral raises etc. Might add some core such as crunches and planks).

How does this look to you guys?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Starting tomorrow, I'll be trialling a 3 day split on a 3x8 platform;

Biceps/back (deadlifts, rows, preachers, concentration and/or db hammer curls, cable work).

Triceps/chest (flat bench, decline, incline, dips, skullcrushers, overhead db pulls, db flyes etc).

Legs/shoulders (Squat, mil press, lateral raises etc. Might add some core such as crunches and planks).

How does this look to you guys?
Solid lifts, man. Is that you're exact plan? I.e. those exact excercises, etc?

If so, running it a bit more like this may be more efficient:

3 x 8
Biceps/back (deadlifts (3 x 5), rows, pull/chin-ups, hyperextensions, bb curls, db curls).

Triceps/chest (flat bench 3 x 5), decline, incline, dips, skullcrushers, overhead db pulls, db flyes etc).

Legs/shoulders (Squat (3x5), mil press, lunges or front squats, upright rows, lateral raises etc. Might add some core such as crunches and planks).

More compound + freeweight stuff, less cables etc. Also, low reps for the big 3 lifts, cos strength is important.
I ran a similar split for a while (whilst running 5/3/1) and ran legs on the same day as shoulders like you're planning to. However, a lot of dudes go with a chest/shoulders split, cos it's all push. Something to think about, personally I find it a bit too taxing and prefer the legs + shoulders day.

Steve, that routine looks wild. Very different. Is it taxing? How do you find recovery to be?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve, that routine looks wild. Very different. Is it taxing? How do you find recovery to be?
It's mainly Bench/Squat one day, MP/Deadlift the next. Assistance work (except rows) is done less intense, less volume, typically a straight 3x8. If I eat ok and stay hydrated it's fine, but If I slip up then DOMs lasts 2-3 days lol. Coming from FBW's every session, It feels great to be able to spend more time on the big lifts because it's essentially split into 2 sessions instead of one.

I see it as Squat/Chest/Tris and Dead-lift/Shoulders/Back. Powerlifting train of thought for the big 3 and BB'er thinking when it comes to the rest.

Can't comment on program STP (lol what an abbreviation) but those are some solid lifts coming along! Advice from some of the best benchers in Aus is more frequency! To build a big bench you need to bench.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Branch is the fuckin' man, though. Stoked for him. Gonna watch whatever of the Strongman stuff I can later, I heard Poundstone is no longer a typical fat lifter, but now some shredded Dragon Ball Z character. Or something.
Yeah check out Pounstone's latest pics, he is ripped weighing in at 150kg/330lbs @ 6' massive maasive unit

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Solid lifts, man. Is that you're exact plan? I.e. those exact excercises, etc?
Cheers for the advice man, duly noted. I'm not set on those exact exercises, it was just an example.

If I'm doing back squats with good form, what advantage is there to be had in adding front squats? Slightly different muscular focus?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the advice man, duly noted. I'm not set on those exact exercises, it was just an example.

If I'm doing back squats with good form, what advantage is there to be had in adding front squats? Slightly different muscular focus?
Too easy. Yeah, a bit more focus on the quads, and they smash the absolute bejesus out of your core. Good for balance and stability, which helps down the line with things like presses etc.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally entering this thread with some true ambition! Snow season is over, so I'm now in the gym following the beginner recommendations on AusBB. That being said, I'm still hoping for some input on diet if anyone is willing to spare the time.

I'm currently loosely following Fadi's 4000 calorie diet (am trying to push it up to 5000, as I was on this for a while when living in NZ. Not entirely sure if it's necessary however), but am disregarding the dinner as I eat with family/flat mates, and some foods like the sweet potato /green tea etc. Whilst it seems superfluous to me, are these small things I'm missing really that big of a deal?
What sort of nutritional values (not so much total kJ values, but other micro/macro nutrients) should I be trying to reach? Because I'm trying to push up my intake to 5000 calories, what should I add? In the past I've just thrown in more carbs (bread + rice), but is there something more ideal?
Fadi recommends the use of WPI, WPC, MPI and oatmass. What are your thoughts on the use of all of these simultaneously? It was said 10 pages or so back that WPI is pretty unnecessary, how do the others rate? Additionally, if I do cut out the WPI from Fadi's diet, should I replace it with equivalent WPC?

I did my best to make sure I wasn't repeating questions that were recently asked, so my apologies if I did so.

First gym sesh of compound lifts (ever) today, so I did my best to aim for good technique. Hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough with the mechanism of the lifts within a few weeks to start challenging weights. Gym'ing 3 times a week, with 3x6 squat, 3x6 bench, 3x5 dead, 2x8 dips.

Keen!

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got 80kg on the flat and 75kg on the incline (5 reps) last night. Creatine may have helped that...

EDIT: can we have a revival of the RB leaderboard - get the competition going again...

Last edited:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Does anyone get any groin pain while squatting? I have never had an issue with my squats before, but as of yesterday developed quite significant pain in what feels like my right hip flexor when squatting. Also when i try to rotate my right leg outwards (abduct?) with my thigh parallel to the floor the pain kicks in. This is non-existent with my left leg. I will stop squatting for a week and see what happens next time (if re-current will seek physio advice) but anyone feeling like an e-doctor feel free to diagnose.

On a plus note, 3 weeks in and there is no residual pain in my shoulder during my workouts and progress is coming along well (although still a fair way to where I used to be)
Benching 65kg 3x10, Pressing 37.5kg 3x8, DL 100kg 3x5, Pullups BW 3x10.

my02

Likes Dirt
At the very least just rest the affected area and ease back into it. You may also want to consider (brave) a cold pack.

Whilst taking time off, might be a good idea to look at some mobility drills.

Best of luck with it.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally entering this thread with some true ambition! Snow season is over, so I'm now in the gym following the beginner recommendations on AusBB. That being said, I'm still hoping for some input on diet if anyone is willing to spare the time.

I'm currently loosely following Fadi's 4000 calorie diet (am trying to push it up to 5000, as I was on this for a while when living in NZ. Not entirely sure if it's necessary however), but am disregarding the dinner as I eat with family/flat mates, and some foods like the sweet potato /green tea etc. Whilst it seems superfluous to me, are these small things I'm missing really that big of a deal?
What sort of nutritional values (not so much total kJ values, but other micro/macro nutrients) should I be trying to reach? Because I'm trying to push up my intake to 5000 calories, what should I add? In the past I've just thrown in more carbs (bread + rice), but is there something more ideal?
Fadi recommends the use of WPI, WPC, MPI and oatmass. What are your thoughts on the use of all of these simultaneously? It was said 10 pages or so back that WPI is pretty unnecessary, how do the others rate? Additionally, if I do cut out the WPI from Fadi's diet, should I replace it with equivalent WPC?

I did my best to make sure I wasn't repeating questions that were recently asked, so my apologies if I did so.

First gym sesh of compound lifts (ever) today, so I did my best to aim for good technique. Hopefully I'll feel comfortable enough with the mechanism of the lifts within a few weeks to start challenging weights. Gym'ing 3 times a week, with 3x6 squat, 3x6 bench, 3x5 dead, 2x8 dips.

Keen!
You should always count every single thing that your eat regardless of how small or pointless it may seem. Otherwise it's pointless trying to keep track. However because your trying to eat alot and not worried about blowing out the numbers, It doesn't matter then your not counting it, as long as it's not going to negatively affect you. It just means you'll do better then what your numbers show.

I'm guessing 2g/kg of protein, 1g/kg of fat and then fill the rest with whatever you want.

EDIT: can we have a revival of the RB leaderboard - get the competition going again...
It's up, check my Sig.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Six pack?

So after a loooong holiday in the US I've been slowly working my way back into gym. All my lifts have dropped which is a bit of a bummer - but the upside is my fitness has improved 10 fold.

Squat 110kg
Deads 110kg
Military 50kg
Bench 85kg

I've been doing this
http://toughmudder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/TrainingPrep.pdf

16 set circuit - 1 minute each set - 20 seconds rest.

Awesome all body high intensity workout.

My question though is - how can I get the elusive six pack? I've got the top two, can semi see the fourth but can and never have been able to get the full six. I eat stupidly healthy (apart from the odd large night out)- have been in negative calories and am doing min 2 x high intensity workouts - 1 x strength day - 1 x 45 minute indoor soccer. But still cant shake that little bit of fat at the bottom. Any tips?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
My question though is - how can I get the elusive six pack? I've got the top two, can semi see the fourth but can and never have been able to get the full six. I eat stupidly healthy (apart from the odd large night out)- have been in negative calories and am doing min 2 x high intensity workouts - 1 x strength day - 1 x 45 minute indoor soccer. But still cant shake that little bit of fat at the bottom. Any tips?
Diet, I'd say. Lower your calories even more, if you really want to see all 6. That bottom stomach fat seems to be a super stubborn, last-to-go type deal for most.

Pulled a new 5rm today, got 175kg x 5. Fucking brutal, but I'm stoked.

moto_guy

Banned
I'm loosing weight pretty steadily :D down to 124kg plus I dead lifted 100kg today. Come at me bro. Still cant do one single unassisted wide grip pull up tho. :(

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
I'm loosing weight pretty steadily :D down to 124kg plus I dead lifted 100kg today. Come at me bro. Still cant do one single unassisted wide grip pull up tho. :(
Yeh pull-ups are like that. It took me weeks/months to work up from 0 to 4 pull ups, tried to do one the other day and no luck. Doing as many negatives as I could was the best way i found.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Pull ups definitely are hard - especially if you're carrying a few spare tyres around the belly. This time last year I could proabbly do <5 - now I can make 20 without too much trouble.

My training progress to get to 21 wide grip unnastisted was as follows:

Do pull ups at least 3 times a week - 3 sets of 6 pull ups- get to 6 any way you can. If you need to do negatives, or have someone holding your legs so be it. Continue this routine until you can do at least one set of 6 unnasisted

Pyramid 6 sets of pull ups with 10 seconds rest between. Start with 6, 10 second rest, 5, 10 second rest, 4, 10 second rest (total of 21 chin ups). It'll take a while until you can do the whole 21 with only 10 second rest. BUT when you can proceed to the next phase.

21 chin ups as fast as you can - made up of whatever configuration you want. I think I normally did like 10, 7, 4. Aim to get your time under 1 minute

Weighted Chin ups pyramid sets of 6 - same as before but add 5-10kgs.

21 chin ups as fast as you can - first set weighted.

21 chin ups straight.

The whole thing probably took me about 6 months - but smashing out a set of +20 wide grip feels amazing.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Motivation to lift big weights = zero. Need to spice it up.

Gunna smash the RB leaderboard in: Most Pushups, Most Pullups, Burpee challenge, 100m Sprint, Most dips and most hectic abs and god like aesthetics haha Anyone got any challenges they think I can't do? Preferably bodyweight exercises, I have oly rings/pullup bar.