Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
If anyone can link me to a really good body fat % calculator, I'd be stoked.
I've tried a couple of different ones, and I've gotten various results, because although I have 7 measurements, the tests only use 3-4.
The measurements I have are:
Bicep, tricep, subscapular, abs, suprailiac, thigh, calf.

If there is a 7-site one that uses all of these, I'd love to know about it. Or at least something close.
Thanks guys.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Yeah, callipers done by somebody else.

I tried that site, got a full 4% difference between the Jackson/Pollock 4 point and the Durnin/Womersley 4 point.
Fuuuuuuuuu.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Just received Harbinger belt and straps in the mail. Keen to try out my deadlift 1RM, am shooting for 160-170kg in the next week or so.

(Yes, I realise that straps are "cheating" but I'm not training for a powerlifting contest).

In other news, saw a bloke benching 47.5kg dumbells yesterday.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If anyone can link me to a really good body fat % calculator, I'd be stoked.
I've tried a couple of different ones, and I've gotten various results, because although I have 7 measurements, the tests only use 3-4.
The measurements I have are:
Bicep, tricep, subscapular, abs, suprailiac, thigh, calf.

If there is a 7-site one that uses all of these, I'd love to know about it. Or at least something close.
Thanks guys.
If your really serious about getting the best measurement possible, get a DEXA scan/

http://www.bodyscan.com.au/

Its not cheap, but its the best possible way to measure fat, muscle and bone density, we have one at work i sneak into every 6 months or so. Probably cheaper places around that do it.

clockworked

Like an orange
Just received Harbinger belt and straps in the mail. Keen to try out my deadlift 1RM, am shooting for 160-170kg in the next week or so.

(Yes, I realise that straps are "cheating" but I'm not training for a powerlifting contest).

have a really good go at farmers walks with a towel over the grips, towel chin ups and plate pinches. 170 is easily achievable without straps!

my training partner benches 60 kg dumbells. Thats the largest our gym has

then again, his best bar bench is 160.

Plow King

Little bit.
Benching that heavy with dumbells is impressive. I managed 5 reps with 35 and It felt like I was doing 100. Trying not to drop them on your face first rep is the hardest part.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
If your really serious about getting the best measurement possible, get a DEXA scan/

http://www.bodyscan.com.au/

Its not cheap, but its the best possible way to measure fat, muscle and bone density, we have one at work i sneak into every 6 months or so. Probably cheaper places around that do it.
I've read about those. The cost is way too constricting for a poor-arse uni student like me to justify. Besides, I'm not that serious, I'd just like a good indication from the info I have. But thanks. One day, when I'm ballin'...

One of my old training partners used to press the 55kg's for reps... but could barely squat 100kg and deadlift 130kg. I gave him so much shit for it. Steroids are only as good as the person using them.

Oh, and straps suck. They're like masturbation - it may feel good at the time, but in the end, you're only fucking yourself
:playful:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I've read about those. The cost is way too constricting for a poor-arse uni student like me to justify. Besides, I'm not that serious, I'd just like a good indication from the info I have. But thanks. One day, when I'm ballin'...
What uni are you at? most with a human physiology dept. or health based degrees will have one, and generally will let students in for a small fee or non at all. RMIT used to let students use it for free as it added information to their data base, which they used as control data for studies.

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
Oh, and straps suck. They're like masturbation - it may feel good at the time, but in the end, you're only fucking yourself
ahaha WIN!

just think about your lifts as a whole lot of parts that have to work well in order to go big, so atm your grip is the weak part-go work on that.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
It's not that I have poor grip strength - I just want to focus on what I consider to be the more important elements (e.g. glutes, hamstrings, quads, back).

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
It's not that I have poor grip strength - I just want to focus on what I consider to be the more important elements (e.g. glutes, hamstrings, quads, back).
Dont under-rate that part of a deadlift though. Its all part of a whole.

Start lighter and work every part of the lift (grip,glutes,hammies, good back postion). Dont worry about weight at the moment.... Technique,technique,technique.....

Focus on a solid smooth pull (dont jerk the bar- that will ruin a good back postion and you will round out), have your lats on, this encourages better shoulder joint position due to a linear bar path

Another big one is to focus on a proper extension, ie that your knee joint and hip joint open at the same time in a lift. Otherwise your are turning the lift into back extensions. I would have done a million side on deadlifts to a mirror using a dowel just practicing this....

So yeah no straps..... :D :p

Hope this helps.... Helped me (74kg BW get a 1x180kg)

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing wrong with straps, but if you do use them your grip doesn't get any stronger and the problem only gets worse.

Use them if you need to, to get the proper leg work done as you said. Then work on grip strength separately.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
What uni are you at? most with a human physiology dept. or health based degrees will have one, and generally will let students in for a small fee or non at all. RMIT used to let students use it for free as it added information to their data base, which they used as control data for studies.
Newcastle, Callaghan campus. That's a boss idea, I think I have some emails to send.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Newcastle, Callaghan campus. That's a boss idea, I think I have some emails to send.
I work there and have been thinking the same thing. I think if we have a machine like that it would most likely be at Ourimbah where they do most of the Exercise Science studys.

I've not seen one anywhere else on campus and I have had a lot to do with health sciences over the last few years.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
What gym do you go to?
I usually train down here on the coast, where I live. However, I'm at Anytime Fitness, so I can go to any gym in the country :)

I work there and have been thinking the same thing. I think if we have a machine like that it would most likely be at Ourimbah where they do most of the Exercise Science studys.

I've not seen one anywhere else on campus and I have had a lot to do with health sciences over the last few years.
I was in the Ourimbah labs yesterday, and will be again in 2 weeks. I'll ask around, see what's up.

moto_guy

Banned
Was doing shoulders today and noticed that there was a meat head following what exercises I was doing Feelsgoodman. If you put me in a gym 12 weeks ago I would have NFI what to do.

Anyone in Melbourne ever been to dohertys?

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
So, I went for the 200kg deadlift today. Psyched myself out and didn't make it. Really bummed out, been chasing it for a long time. However, I did manage to get dips with +40kg (2 plates) plates attached for 2 reps, so I'm going to submit a video to the EDC website and get my name on the board, woo.
Figured it was time to update my stats.

Name:Andrew
Height: 181.5cm
Start Weight: 68ish, then 95kg.
Current Weight:81kg
BF%around 13%
Squat140kg
Bench105kg
Deadlift180kg (x3)

All in all, I can't complain. My deadlift is the same (except for 3 instead of 1) as it was when I was 95kg, and my squat and bench are only 5-10kg less than they were. Plan from now is to keep dropping til around 10-11%, should be mid-high 70's (I think?) and then slowly build back up, hopefully seeing heaps of strength gains from finally being back in a caloric excess.

/end cool story.