Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Go the Anthem O... It is 0.5kg lighter to begin with and the XT shimano kit really is top shelf in terms of performance. I had the SRAM X7 gear on my last Trance and it was good, but actually wore out fairly quickly. I've done 24hr races, 100km marathons on my Anthem and not a hint of a complaint!

Don't be put off by the suspension set up of the Rock Shox, it is not at all difficult to dial in. Infact, it is quite easy. Both the fork and the rear shock have PSI guides for rider weights and the stachions actually have marked gradations to easily measure sag. I put in the recommended PSI for my weight, checked the sag and finely adjusted to suit my preference - haven't touched it since! Smooth ;)
Dazzo - whilst the PSI guides are great, i find for me they are out a fair bit. When i had a decent setup done with the help of a pro and we were nearly 20 PSI off what the chart said and the bike felt even better again. This is on the fork, the RT3 wasnt as bad, but was still out on the makers recommendations.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Dazzo - whilst the PSI guides are great, i find for me they are out a fair bit. When i had a decent setup done with the help of a pro and we were nearly 20 PSI off what the chart said and the bike felt even better again. This is on the fork, the RT3 wasnt as bad, but was still out on the makers recommendations.
I assume for the fork you put in less pressure than recomended? I'm on circa 95psi, when it recomends 120. The difficulty with the sid when you arent used to one, is the - + balance changes things and so does the damping setting AND the lockout compression thingy - fuck me, change one and the whole thing changes - if you get lucky and it get it right, leave it, but the more i play and adjust the stupid ass of a thing the more it seems to play up.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Pharmaboy - yup 20psi lower than the guide, I run 100psi in both chambers. I have played with slightly different pressures in the two chambers which adds another dimension again. Just remember only change one thing at a time. Role the adjustment right to one end of the spectrum - find a test trail with some chatter and a couple of bigger hits and see how it goes. Then I role it right to the other end and ride the exact trail again - feel te difference and find your balance from there. Repeat on another setting etc.

stu125

Likes Bikes
First ride on my Anthem & it was sweet but I have played with it since then & cant get it handling the same....

Im knocking the orings up to full travel every ride so I tried more air ending up with 20psi more than the chart spec on the front but it still feels crap.

Ive gone back to 120 Fr 180 Rr feel slightly better but no where near as good as the first ride.

Do you use the oring as an indication of travel whilst riding or do you just use it to set up the sag?

Im about 87kg if anyone has some use full info!!!

Stu

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt

anyone decided to buy one of these yet? I'm looking at the 2012.5 Anthem X Advanced 29er 0 or the 2012 Anthem X 29er 0 depending on funds.

Sort of think the 2012 Anthem X 29er 0 is better value than the 2012.5 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1, especially if you are only saving 180grams ish on the frame.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
anyone decided to buy one of these yet? I'm looking at the 2012.5 Anthem X Advanced 29er 0 or the 2012 Anthem X 29er 0 depending on funds.

Sort of think the 2012 Anthem X 29er 0 is better value than the 2012.5 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1, especially if you are only saving 180grams ish on the frame.
I just weighed that up - got the 2012 0 with stand wheels and XT brakes for $500 less than the advanced. I would like the carbon for the sake of having carbon i guess, but it made too much sense to go with what I got...

Really happy with the bike!

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just weighed that up - got the 2012 0 with stand wheels and XT brakes for $500 less than the advanced. I would like the carbon for the sake of having carbon i guess, but it made too much sense to go with what I got...

Really happy with the bike!
cool, I think the forks are a bit better on the 2012 0

thanx for your input

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I was reading on Bike Radar that Giant was also going to offer the X Advanced as a frame only option.

Anyone know if this is an option for Australia, or if it's a US only thing? If so, how much?

Cheers.

ADD

Likes Dirt
Don't see why they wouldn't. I see their frame only stuff come through work all of the time. Including their anthem frames. (I work for a logistics company that delivers Giant)

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Don't see why they wouldn't. I see their frame only stuff come through work all of the time. Including their anthem frames. (I work for a logistics company that delivers Giant)
Giant Aus have never been big on bringing in frame only deals. The frames you see coming in are most likely destined to be built up into complete bikes by your lovely LBS. Would be cool if they did though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Giant Aus have never been big on bringing in frame only deals. The frames you see coming in are most likely destined to be built up into complete bikes by your lovely LBS. Would be cool if they did though.
Bikes come in one big box - takes about 20min to build one up: i think its more likely the frames are warranty claims - they have an excellent warranty, imagine how many nrs frames there are these days developing cracks??

danton45

Likes Bikes
How do you guys transport the Anthem in/on a car.

I have a roof rack which should mount on the downtube but as the downtube on the Anthem is huge and not round I'm not comfortable using this mount.
I then bought a mount for the fork but as the bike has a pull thru axle I'm not sure this works either. I think I will be able to make it work by pulling the mount's shaft out on putting through the axle but it's a bit fiddly.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Very good actually - excellent value for money. Its so fast and easy to fit to the car. Once you fit the metal plate under the towball (stays there permanently) The fingered ball mount simply slips over the ball, and you tighten the plastic knob ontop to secure it. Once its in place you simply tighten the nut and bolt on the mount to better secure it and the metal tab slips into the plate you fitted to the towbar to stop it spinning side to side.

Just need T7 to sell more metal plates for the towbar as I want to be able to swap it between cars more easily. Could make one myself though I guess - its very basic.

They are always priced at $139 (plus $39 for the lgiht board) with T7's new pricing policy and no specials anymore.

Current pics: (the white dots on the light board are velcro so I can swap accesory number plates quickly)

DSC03888.JPG

DSC03889.JPG

danton45

Likes Bikes
interesting to see the picks ^^^^^^ above (woops two posts above) , my rack is a Torpedo roof rack but this does give me ideas that I could use a large tie (like above) in a similar manner..

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Thanks for the info boxer, might get onto T7 and order one me thinks. Been after a bike carrier for a while now and I think this fits the bill.