Advocacy Alert Glenrock Trail Alliance - Build Days and News

B.utters

Likes Dirt
Looked pretty good when I got out on the trails last weekend, look even better now.

Are the National Parks guys still opposed to downhill and DJ trail development? I would be keen to put some work into doing up and maintaining the DH tracks and top DJ's, I just don't want to go stepping on peoples toes doing it.

savtraxx

Banned
im very keen for some jumps as i dont ride xc or dh. although id be happy building / maintaining a dh track..

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Next build day is on the weekend of the 29th May. Undecided at this point as to whether it will be on the Saturday or Sunday but I will post once it is locked in.

Works will be on the BJ's section to improve its flow as a descending trail.

If you can't get there and want to have some input into this section, post your thoughts up so we can take them into consideration.

sammydog

Looked pretty good when I got out on the trails last weekend, look even better now.

Are the National Parks guys still opposed to downhill and DJ trail development? I would be keen to put some work into doing up and maintaining the DH tracks and top DJ's, I just don't want to go stepping on peoples toes doing it.
The DH trails at this stage will be closed once the POM is gazetted, I am not particularly happy about it, but we are trying to source an alternate location for DH, be it in Glenrock or nearby. If you have some suggestions, go to this link and join the discussion.

sammydog

The next build day is confirmed as Saturday the 29th May. We have spoken to the NPWS and they are OK with us doing a bit more substantial work on 'the trail formerly known as BJ's'. I'd like to think we can get as much interest as we did with ' the trail forerly known as SH's'.

We will meet at the top of Bailey's Paddock around 9.30 for a 10am start down at the trail.

NPWS ranger Tiffany will be attending and NPWS will supply snacks and drinks, you will have to bring your own lunch if you want it.

Everyone is welcome, new starters or old hands and bring your friends, there will be a lot of work to do.

You need the usual; shoes, water, hat, sunnies, gloves if you have them and yellow GTA shirt if you have one, others will be available on the day.

Tools will be supplied.

Any questions post here,PM or ring me, hope to see you there.

sammydog

Build day this saturday at 9:30 meeting at the top of Baileys Paddock. Works will be on fixing the BJ's berms.

Its too wet to ride, so come along for a dig.

sammydog

A few photos of todays build in the wet can be found on the GTA website, but here is a couple.

Day was basically spent reworking some of the berms on BJ's. In the coming weeks we will rework the remaining corners (well the ones that need it) and introduce some trail features in the the straights.

First Right hand berm re-work

Second Right hand berm rework

Next build day is set down for the 19th June. More info by clicking this link.

sammydog

Trail Works June 19, 2010

Following hot on the heals of the previous working day on BJ's, a large and enthusiastic crew turned up to continue the work. Most of the work was carried out on the rock step up filter at the trail entrance and on some of the berms lower down the trail.

Towards the bottom quiet a lot of lantana was also removed from the trails edge to allow the trail to be opened up a little.

First left hand corner of BJ's. Outside line widened, benching improved and rock retaining wall added to the filled areas.

Following right hand berm. Most of this work was done in the previous build day to remove breaking bumps, mid berm rollers and to improve drainage. This work was finished off today.

Moving down the trail, the entrance to the next berm was improved and the exit platform modified to improve drainage and allow a bit more space for riders.

Lower down the trail, some rock armoring of the trail was undertaken and a small rock garden created.

A lot of talk has been had with respect to the trail filter at the entrance to the trail. That is, the rock step up. Many people feel it is too hard a filter for the trail and is probably responsible for the many alternate entrances being cut into BJ's. Long term it is intended to modify the step up to have a technical line as there always has been, but also to have an easy entrance. Materials have been lined up for this, but until the mother load of rock is delivered a temporary solution was put in place.

Before

After (doesn't really show how much easier it now is)

Photos of this build day would not be complete without paying homage to the tireless efforts of the rock trolley. Sadly is seems that some life threatening injuries were sustained to the trolley which was obviously not conversant with the pre build safety briefing on manual handling.

XXL

Likes Dirt
Mud Jumps

Does anyone know who is responsible for the molestation of mud jumps, some very average work has been done digging dirt from the foundation of the jumps and dumping it on top on the lips, and someone has extended the lander of the last jump so its closer to the up ramp. Im all for fixing the lips up when the jumps get a bit mellow but this such a shithouse job.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
So I've heard of this plus someone trying to open up an old line. Why can't people just leave things alone...until they turn up to a GTA build day and discuss their ideas with the guys running the show.

bitumen

Squid
track changes

mmm, how do I put this...without getting daggers in my back. There are some things, quite a few things that are happening on the trails that quite frankly I am not liking at all. Personally I cannot get far enough away from the new stuff and thats a not good considering they're my local trails. Are you going to get any votes on the work so far that will reflect riders opinions or is this out of our hands?

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Be frank. Tell us exactly what you don't like. Don't pull any punches (be diplomatic rather than rude about it though).

I'm always keen to hear what others think be it good bad or indifferent.

The only way things will change is if you speak up.

Also, the opportunity is there to turn up on the build days and contribute in person.

Last edited:

sammydog

mmm, how do I put this...without getting daggers in my back. There are some things, quite a few things that are happening on the trails that quite frankly I am not liking at all. Personally I cannot get far enough away from the new stuff and thats a not good considering they're my local trails. Are you going to get any votes on the work so far that will reflect riders opinions or is this out of our hands?
I'd say speak up but at least be respectfull. Take it the GTA forum if you really want the ears of all the volunteers.

That said, if you really have an issue, vote with your feet an come to a build day.

One thing to remember though is that the volunteers are working inside some pretty major constraits and restrictions. If we had free reign to do what we really think is necessary thi gs would be different.

That all said, opinions and constructive

bitumen

Squid
just spent ages explaining the situation i see re changes etc and the rotorburn forum ate it. I was logged in, wrote what i wrote and had to log in again. entered everything and the whole page went blank redirecting me to nothing. Just adds to my frustration really.
Oh and it's not about the cost, the way I see it, the things that have been changed didn't need changing.There are corners where we once had nice curves, rocks that are plain irritating and ditches that didn't need digging. Sorry if you disagree but thats my 2c and I use the tracks too. Funny thing is, the tracks at awaba are great, they flow and people building those are going great. How is it that trail building in the same region can be polar opposites of each other?

Last edited:

sammydog

just spent ages explaining the situation i see re changes etc and the rotorburn forum ate it. I was logged in, wrote what i wrote and had to log in again. entered everything and the whole page went blank redirecting me to nothing. Just adds to my frustration really.
Oh and it's not about the cost, the way I see it, the things that have been changed didn't need changing.There are corners where we once had nice curves, rocks that are plain irritating and ditches that didn't need digging. Sorry if you disagree but thats my 2c and I use the tracks too. Funny thing is, the tracks at awaba are great, they flow and people building those are going great. How is it that trail building in the same region can be polar opposites of each other?
Being involved in both I can tell you is one main difference, and this is being honest.

1) Awaba got to start with a blank canvass and didn't have to stay within the existing, and in many cases poorly sited trail corridor.

With the world trail work that was done, even they commented that they would have preferred to completely re-route sections, but couldn't.

So essentially, in glenrock the constraints (from the land manager, there is actually more transparency and studies in the Awaba trails) are greater and unfortunately to impact on the outcome.