Gravey more than just tomato sauce as special ingredient, Rude a bit rich with his explanation.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Could have been taking stuff his whole career and now got caught. Who knows.. Once the hearings happen everyone will get a better insight. Such as how much was in his sample, how many supplements/food/whatever it would take to have such a reading.. I think both guys have every chance of escaping a suspension.. Chris Froome’s case has set the precedent, they can now challenge the validity of the doping test if they wanted.
He could have been racing dirty but he was tested a bunch during the Olympics and DH and always came up clean. I don't think that the stuff he has now is a new or cutting edge so...

I don't know, I'm not really trying to stick up for anyone, just making a point from the interview!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He could have been racing dirty but he was tested a bunch during the Olympics and DH and always came up clean. I don't think that the stuff he has now is a new or cutting edge so...

I don't know, I'm not really trying to stick up for anyone, just making a point from the interview!
When you read his last paragraph he makes it clear that he thinks there is a difference between banned substances and that some are a lot worse than others.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Next up... Therapeutic Use exceptions. Basically many of them will suffer from some BS medical condition and get a pass for a banned substance.
The UCI has not closed that loop yet.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Next up... Therapeutic Use exceptions. Basically many of them will suffer from some BS medical condition and get a pass for a banned substance.
I reckon Jared would probably bust the testing system with what he's had to take in the last few months.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was coming for this one too, Froomey and Wiggo did very well out of their *cough *cough asthma and the TUE's it required.
It's probably considered less problematic than EPO etc, but they used it to their advantage and it could well have been the difference?

Warp

Likes Dirt
I was coming for this one too, Froomey and Wiggo did very well out of their *cough *cough asthma and the TUE's it required.
It's probably considered less problematic than EPO etc, but they used it to their advantage and it could well have been the difference?
Call me cynical. But those guys are on the next big thing. This TUE is for masking or to deviate attention somehow.
I don't think MTB generates enough money for these guys to be on the really good stuff. But TUE's could be used at any rate...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Lance Armstrong tested clean a bunch of times, but he was dodgy as fuck. Ultimately undone because he bullied, threatened and generally fucked over too many people. If he wasn't a soulless shithead, he might have gotten away with it, but there were signs that it was too good to be true, and it was in part, what brought the microscope down on him

Last edited:

Stinky

Likes Dirt
[QUOTE="mas2, post: 3223626, member:] Both are shocked that they tested positive, even more shocked that there was a test.
There's the rub. EWS leave testing up to the discretion of the national body and as a result, there has never been any testing. The French, however, give a fuck and decided it was about time these EWS athletes were made accountable.

Who knows how much testing will get done next season now that the UCI has some involvement in the series?[/QUOTE]

Its not that EWS left testing to the national body. Its more of a case that up until next year EWS has not really been recognised by the UCI and affiliate federations (same reason Jared and Sam were overlooked for Cycling Australia awards in recent years despite winning the EWS). If the event is not internationally / nationally recognised then doping agencies don't have alot of say in what tests happen.

One of the key reasons for UCI integration is to bring doping control under a recognised doping agency (CADF, WADA etc). So expect to see a significant increase in tests next year. It is important to note that these measures have been in discussion for at least 12 months now and are not a reaction to the recent events. (which I am pretty sure should have remained confidential until any appeals / submissions were heard from the athletes)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Call me cynical. But those guys are on the next big thing. This TUE is for masking or to deviate attention somehow.
I don't think MTB generates enough money for these guys to be on the really good stuff. But TUE's could be used at any rate...
I reckon there isn’t much in the pipeline and TUE’s is as good as it gets atm.. Sky have founded a whole team on pushing the legal limits..
I remember back to when Cadel won the tour, a sports doc we interviewed for work (tv) gave us the low down. Certain drugs are prohibited with zero tolerance other drugs have thresholds, like Asthma medication (froome). He said in the 2011 tour all the clean riders were taking the threshold allowance of drugs without being pinged. Not just a few riders mind you. If you were allowed x amount of pseudoephedrine they riders had x amount in their dopong test exactly.. It kinda says a lot about the sport, any advantage will be taken..

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Putting aside them wilfully taking gear to cheat, or there being unlisted substances in the supplements, it really smacks of amateur hour.

The “leave Jared alone” cry sounds like this guy.

It’s the EWS’ sandpit. You want to play? Then abide by their rules.

If you’re going to play the rhino horn / horse semen supplement for some extra boost, at least be stringent with the banned substance list. Know how much to take, what’s the half life or at least find someone that does.

The “I didn’t know” or “they changed the rules” is a cop out, knowing the rules and staying up to date with them is part of being a pro. It’s essential to the job.

Can’t stay up to date with the voodoo pills list? Then do what Barelli does and make some of Grandmas vegan muffin bars.

teK--

Eats Squid
It's interesting that the supplement manufacturer chimed in to say the ingredients were never in the product, because many of these product have "proprietary ingredients" that they change from time to time . I remember used to use jack3d pre workout and they had a banned substanced similar to that asthma medicine. Was not disclosed until they were called out. The "old recipe" became much sought out!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It's interesting that the supplement manufacturer chimed in to say the ingredients were never in the product, because many of these product have "proprietary ingredients" that they change from time to time . I remember used to use jack3d pre workout and they had a banned substanced similar to that asthma medicine. Was not disclosed until they were called out. The "old recipe" became much sought out!!
Did you ever take enough you couldn’t feel your skin? dimethylamylamine is dangerous, was the right thing to ban

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There were a bunch of easy to obtain supplements a while back loaded with pseudoephedrine until young NFL players in the states dropped dead from heart attacks from them..

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
It kinda says a lot about the sport, any advantage will be taken.

I don’t think it is limited to this sport. It is the human condition. Most of us want to appear better than we really are.

The strava straight lining at local trails is a classic example. Ordinary mountain bikers, with no championship on the line, are more than happy to create a shortcut in their local trail, just so they can be momentarily at the top of a cyber-leaderboard. As soon as one knobhead does it, all the other leaderboard wankers do it too, because they are all desperately competing with each other. It is pathetic. And that would become the actual trail, until a regular mountain biker gets the original corner back by filling in the straight line with branches.

If the ordinary punter is prepared to cheat for zero actual gain, the temptation must be insane at the top level.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I don’t think it is limited to this sport. It is the human condition. Most of us want to appear better than we really are.

The strava straight lining at local trails is a classic example. Ordinary mountain bikers, with no championship on the line, are more than happy to create a shortcut in their local trail, just so they can be momentarily at the top of a cyber-leaderboard. As soon as one knobhead does it, all the other leaderboard wankers do it too, because they are all desperately competing with each other. It is pathetic. And that would become the actual trail, until a regular mountain biker gets the original corner back by filling in the straight line with branches.

If the ordinary punter is prepared to cheat for zero actual gain, the temptation must be insane at the top level.
Money and Glory, and not having to work a shit job you hate , like many of us (which would fall under the money category) - would be major motivations.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know much about pro MTB salaries, but I imagine they are relatively low.
They certainly wouldn't be banking huge amounts of cash!

Free travel and accommodation all over the globe to ride your bike, that's a good lifestyle