Helmets

moorey

call me Mia
Haha... sorry the D3 was designed and released in 2009, its still sold brand new in original design.

It's a new D3 he wants... but air flow is pretty bad compared to the new age helmets.

I’ll get back on my box. For 10 seconds

moorey

call me Mia
I reach for the Proframe on most occasions but also have a carbon Rampage for when I feel like a little more protection is required, ventilation is okay on the Rampage.
I have the carbon rampage. I rate it. No issue with ventilation, I use it for Enduro and DH.
Felix also uses the same.
Quinn has the non carbon rampage.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm going to vote with the whipper snapper on this one, especially if it's cheaper. TLD is super comfortable, if he already has a Proframe then he can continue to use that on days when airflow is a prime consideration.

On the other days, his prime consideration will be what looks good, and that 7iDP thing is fucking butt ugly. Making your kid go out and ride with his mates wearing that thing is grounds for a visit from Child Services.
Get with the times old @leitch, you want the kid to look like Evil Kenivel :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You know it. The old translucent-white-with-red-straps Bucky Lasek.
Mmmmmmm the ice cream bucket!

I purchased a bike use approved Bucky a few years ago, filled with optimism that they had somehow brought the style and comfort of that useless plastic hat into a helmet...it was one of the shittest fitting helmets I have owned.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I purchased a bike use approved Bucky a few years ago, filled with optimism that they had somehow brought the style and comfort of that useless plastic hat into a helmet...it was one of the shittest fitting helmets I have owned.
Yeah I bought a bike approved ProTec a few years back too, it was incredibly bad. Those old skate ones were great because the soft foam conformed to whatever weird egg-head you had. The one with the proper EPS foam was like they'd just used a small basketball as the mould and gone "fuck it that'll do"

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah I bought a bike approved ProTec a few years back too, it was incredibly bad. Those old skate ones were great because the soft foam conformed to whatever weird egg-head you had. The one with the proper EPS foam was like they'd just used a small basketball as the mould and gone "fuck it that'll do"

Exactly! And it sat so high on my head. If I wanted to look like a dork I would have purchased a conventional mountain bike helmet (and maybe some big sunnies too!) like most other people. I like my helmet to pretty much swallow my head.

I had a giro snow helmet a few years ago and it remains a personal benchmark for fit and feel. Each time I put it on flight of the Valkyries would come into my mind as it looked a tiny bit like the helmets sat on by the chopper gunners in apocalypse now. And quite clearly there is a very strong similarity between surviving the onslaught of morons on a ski field and the horrors of being conscripted to fight in a war.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I always get a good chuckle that plenty of people people won’t ride bikes with carbon fibre frames because they “just can’t trust carbon”, but then spend up big to buy carbon fibre helmets instead of plastic because “they’re safer”.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Steel is real my man!
I used to work in a cube farm with a fellow who was heavy into dressing up like Knights of old and bashing his mates with a stick. In one of those "shit I've shown too much interest" moments he was telling me of a friend who had aluminium armour made, thinking the reduced weight would deliver a combat advantage. However the lowered weight proved very uncomfortable as a firm blow to the helmet would deliver a lot more displacement and whiplash than the weight of steel.

The fellow also had also constructed a miniature trebuchet a his desk which could throw a crumpled A4 page paper ball a good distance.