Highland Fling Anyone ?

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Gordo flung pretty hard closely followed by messyrs English and Lewis. Van mill over fenner and carberry in the long version.

Awesome day out, hanging to see full results bit considering there's 100milers out on track I wouldn't hold your breath.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
mmmm pain...

Well I've been flung! that race definitely hurts! I didn't think the course was as fast as last year but the times seem to tell a different story. The boys seem to be getting faster and faster every year!! Was just off the back of the Elite bunch when they went the wrong way so did well out of that I think. put me in the pointy end of 100milers of the next couple of hours at least ;)

Anyway, weather was awesome, track was in tops condition, really was a great day out on the bike ;) (except all that hurty bits...)

Cheers
Spoonie

schmackster

NSWMTB, Manly Warringah MTB
Well I've been flung! that race definitely hurts! I didn't think the course was as fast as last year but the times seem to tell a different story. The boys seem to be getting faster and faster every year!! Was just off the back of the Elite bunch when they went the wrong way so did well out of that I think. put me in the pointy end of 100milers of the next couple of hours at least ;)

Anyway, weather was awesome, track was in tops condition, really was a great day out on the bike ;) (except all that hurty bits...)

Cheers
Spoonie
+1

All in all an excellent day but fark did it hurt! I suppose that was because (a) I didn't do anything more than a few 2 hour rides on a roadie in my "limited" build-up and (b) another 3 years older since my last one. (3 years might not sound like much but at my age they are like dog years.)

Stopped twice to help out poor unfortunates who took the water bars too fast so I am going to say my time was about 30mins less than published but that still doesn't even make it half respectable. Hit the wall at the halfway feed station and crawled all the way home.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
32:16 is not the gear to do the 100miles on.
managed to do the 3 loops which is approx 140km?
I missed the last cut off by 17mins.

There was way too much flat for a SS to make up any ground.
I don't know how LiamO did it last year.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Any news on the rider airlifted out from Fern Gully?
Was he airlifted out? I was the guy riding in the opposite direction (sorry for all the near-misses!) as I had heard that there was an unconsious crash victim. I was about 7km up the road, so I did a 'Fling-and-a-bit. When I got there, he (Cameron?) was conscious, talking and making sense. He had a good cut on his temple (his helmet had done its job) and both wrists were obviously fractured. He didn't appear to have any chest/abdo/pelvis injuries. Looks like he just did a superman over the water bar. After apologising for not carrying any pharmaceutical-strength painkillers, I left after he was to be trucked out of there.

I saw one other fall over a bar (a guy on a black Yeti who escaped with grazes), and I stopped for another guy on an orange Kona (I think) who needed a bit of chain surgery and a donated PowerLink.

All in all I thought the race had a really good vibe, people were friendly, and the course was good, but hard. After saying 'never again' as I rolled across the line, the pi11wizard and I are already making plans for the 2010 edition.

m_g

Likes Dirt
early SS conversion=a hard day

rear deraileur got torn off at the 8km mark...unrepairable hanger/jockey wheels etc. The only gear i could get enough tension on the chain to work as an SS was on the big ring (44T) and 17t on the back...It worked a treat, considering it was on a dually, however many hills were just impossible...made it back in just over 8 hrs...knees are not happy today

Course definitely didn't seem as fast as previous years...In many places it looked like new trail, deep dust and dirt and not really bedded in...Still plenty of fun though...Has the Sailing Club been logged? I missed that

Attachments

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Any news on the rider airlifted out from Fern Gully?
From elsewhere this morning: "he has broken his wrists and they are
compressed, he will need surgery. He also has a small fracture of the elbow,
they are pretty certain everything else is ok."

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Race 1. The Dash...
After the drive down a few coffees at the Bike Shoppe I was feeling a little dehydrated so a little rehydration was required. With no bottle water available in town Huw had provided a suitable alternative.

The liquid consumed I lined up on the front row betweent a unicorn and a dinosaur (how much had I drunk...)

The roll down the hill, despite being neutral, was quite scary, pace was a little uneven and I dropped back a few spots before the car pulled off. Then it was on down up the little climb then on to the little descent and I was off the front. Unfortunately somebody in a KoM jersery clearly didn't know who I was gave chase and dragged Pez up to me. The track then split around a tree and I went right were as those that had pre-rode the course all went left so now I'm in 3rd sitting on Pez's wheel and not having to work too hard when bang! I hit a massive pot hole unsighted, thinking I'd at least flatted and probably broken something I pulled out of the line quickly. Discovering the tyre was still inflated and nothing was obviouselly broken, I jumped back in but having to leave space to see in front, a space people kept jumping into so I got shuffled further and further back before dropping off the back. Then I started seeing unicorns again before the climb. Spent most of the climb looking for a hand-up but none was forth coming before sprinting out the finish against an unseen opponent.

We then all headed off for pizza, more wine and eventually a couple of beers (or a half a light beer or even none for some people...)

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
Mental

Spent most of the climb looking for a hand-up but none was forth coming
Nice one Rob, I was right there with you, till the bottom of the hill anyway :) What an insane 6 kays, I thought my heart would surely burst coming up that hill.

Certainly be doing that one again!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Race 2. The Fling..

Rather than getting too involved with racing early on, we started somewhere in the middle of the field. A gentle roll out and cruise through the farms before getting held up in the single track by mountain bikers who can't apparently ride over a 3" log. Kim & the Bikeminded crew catch up at this point and start hurling abuse. Eventually back riding, pass a few people through the next grassy section and through the Roller Coaster. Up back on the forest roads the Bikeminded crew roll through, then McDuff. While chatting to McDuff on a descent and not paying attentions I hear the dreaded noise of the pinch flat. Wheel off tube in pumping furiously, the Elite field come hammering through, followed shortly by Kim (bugger).

Tyre inflated & I'm back on and chasing, it's a short distance to the creek crossing sharp at which point I discover I hadn't reconnected the brake which made getting around the sharp left handed and stopping before getting to the creek somewhat interesting. Through Boags drift I sight Kim again up ahead and chase on to her group, at which point though a little G-out my saddle adjusted itself, I tried to ride on but eventually had to stop to fix. Into transition & no sign of Kim, but I did run into my boss who must of come in just before me. Fill up and head back out.

At some point along here I caught and passed Kim again, as well as EHCW, McDuff & Gaz attending to an injured rider. Saw Helen at her marshal point, but she was on the phone organizing the evacuation of the injured rider. Into the single track and just cruised along, until tangles were the cramps hit. From here we rode together quite a bit with Kim bombing down the descents and me catching back on the flat section. We cruised into the Frequent Riders lounge refilled and rolled off again.

Not sure at what point along the next section I rode away from Kim but at Outerlimts I hear behind me "come on Rob let's get this over with" and she came flying through like it was the start of a 20km race. Bickchick also came through here having made up the 30 minute start the elite boys and girls had on the rest of us. Coming up to the road section back into Wingello Marcel catches me we ride together and at the road he offers a draft which I gladly accept 1 km up the road it's suddenly my turn. We catch Kim and she also sits in, after doing the big turn all the way into the wind I tell Marcel that it's about time it was his turn, he then rode to the front and promptly rode off!

In the Wingello I fill up and buy a Coke share it with Kim and we roll out together, the Angy Yeti is rolling down the road quicker than the Fireline and Kim yells at me to ride off and don't wait. I wasn't waiting but knew she'd catch me on the descent through the farm anyway. We rode together for quite a while and at about 15 km to go I asked if we were still racing, Kim said no, I replied good and no sneaky little attacks. Kim agreed... or so I thought.

At the last hill before the 10km to go mark Kim put in her sneaky attack, I had nothing and dropped right off. Gladly stopping to loan a pump to a couple of guys about halfway up the hill. The descent was fun but after the Free Bike wash I was creaping, with 7 km to go I was going a 7km/hr and getting increasingly depressed and disinterested about being out there for another hour at this pace. At Your Choice went the long way despite knowing that the short way would have suited me better. As I'm about to hit the tarmac the Van Terminator flies past after going the short way, a very brief attempt was made to get on his wheel (it was downhill & the Angry Yeti has a 48 dog) but I had nothing. At least I had nothing until the EHCW caught back up which gave me a little second wind and I dropped him like a stone. Rolled into the finish and straight to the Dirt Works trailer where I'd stashed my esky, very happy to find that Big Dog (the man is a legend) had filled it with ice so the beer was icy icy cold. Two very quickly Raddlers later I found Kim who had finished 10 or so minutes in front of me to be the first chick to complete the Fling SS.

Nice work Kim but next time...Pas de cadeaux, Pas plus de cadeaux ;)

schmackster

NSWMTB, Manly Warringah MTB
with 7 km to go I was going a 7km/hr and getting increasingly depressed and disinterested about being out there for another hour at this pace
That's exactly how I felt but with 7km to go of the second stage and another 25km of the third yet to come! It was a toss up between 20kms on the road or 25kms on the track (couldn't bring myself to take the sag wagon). Oh fark it this race is not going to beat me so I took the track option and suffered like a dog for it too but at least it didn't beat me.

I don't think it's been three years, but good to see an old face mate :)
Heard PDogg coming before I saw him as he had some pretty hard tunes pumping out of something in his back pocket. Always good for the ego when you see someone who started at the same time as you but has ridden an extra 50km ride past you like you were standing still :D
You were right it hasn't been 3 years it has been more. I just looked back at the previous results and my last Fling was in 2005 when I did it in 5:30. This year it was just under 8 after subtracting injury stoppages. Ahhhhh what a difference time makes!

P.S. props to the bloke who had all the gear to patch that guy up in fern gully as he was well looked after and seemed to be fine despite his injuries. It reminded me that I should carry a decent first aid kit as when I stopped at the 1st bike wash for the guy who broke his wrist all I could do was offer moral support until the car arrived.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It reminded me that I should carry a decent first aid kit as when I stopped at the 1st bike wash for the guy who broke his wrist all I could do was offer moral support until the car arrived.

I'm pretty sure it was a part of the race kit you were supposed to carry with you.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
32:16 is not the gear to do the 100miles on.
managed to do the 3 loops which is approx 140km?
I missed the last cut off by 17mins.

There was way too much flat for a SS to make up any ground.
I don't know how LiamO did it last year.
an A for effort though, to even try on the ss is pretty impressive. probably all the extra energy you expended ringing that bell that let you down... liamo didn't carry a bell.