Holden out of Oz in 2017

nathanm

Eats Squid
Lucky you bought the Alfa or we would be reading how you flew to Oodnadata and then spent 4 days on a camel to pick up an Astra on special!
quoting the wrong person? i worked for an alfa dealership in parts back in 2000 and thus started my hatred of such brands.

I did buy a 2007 Holden Astra SRI (not turbo unfortunately), brilliant car, put 120k on it without fault. They were actually good vehicles back then.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
quoting the wrong person? i worked for an alfa dealership in parts back in 2000 and thus started my hatred of such brands.

I did buy a 2007 Holden Astra SRI (not turbo unfortunately), brilliant car, put 120k on it without fault. They were actually good vehicles back then.
No, you are the one I was looking at. Actually yes I fucked that up. But anyway close enough.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've always had a soft spot for Holden and I still have a HZ Kingswood which my dad special ordered from the factory with 4 wheel discs, M21 4 speed and 253 V8. Also, the most reliable / easily maintained car I have ever owned was our Holden VP V6 Commodore. Other than consumables the only other things I replaced was a coil pack and a radiator. The radiator cost $170 from the dealer and took under 15 minutes to fit. All you did was undo the hoses and flip up two clips and the radiator slid out. Now that's what I call engineering. The coil pack was $50 and took 10 minutes. We put close to 200k on that car without a single problem breakdown. If it wasn't for the complete absence of modern safety features (air bags, ABS etc.) I'd probably still be driving one.

Those Commodores starting with the VP were probably the last of what I would consider a proper "Holden".

However, it just feels like Holden pretty much lost the "Aussie" input after that. I certainly haven't felt the need to buy another Holden since then and I can't put my finger on any one particular reason why (perhaps other than safety?).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's better not to put an Sti wing on a standard wrx.
M badges on an shopping trolley. I followed a 3 series the other day, M34. Like an M3 only 11 and 1/3 times better. It was obviously not an M340i, more like a 320, small brakes, wheels, tyres, brain, penis.

People have put turbo wings on base 911s. Happens everywhere.

nathanm

Eats Squid
a workmate just came back from their lunch break after visiting a Holden dealer to enquire about the "Trax". She was given a "retail" price list and told that prices may vary in the future but to hurry as stocks are selling fast.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
a workmate just came back from their lunch break after visiting a Holden dealer to enquire about the "Trax". She was given a "retail" price list and told that prices may vary in the future but to hurry as stocks are selling fast.
Jesus. It's scary to think that maybe 1 in 100 people will sign-up this week for a small discount & think they did well.
The dealers have no conscience.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Salespeople will sale.

Either you sell loudspeakers from the back of a van in a supermarket carpark or life insurance or bed mattresses or new cars or houses.

Salespeople will sale, regardless of the customer's best wishes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
M badges on an shopping trolley. I followed a 3 series the other day, M34. Like an M3 only 11 and 1/3 times better. It was obviously not an M340i, more like a 320, small brakes, wheels, tyres, brain, penis.

People have put turbo wings on base 911s. Happens everywhere.
The Germans used to do the opposite.... Take the badges off M5s so they did look like ordinary shopping trolleys, and then blow the doors off everything. :p