How do you maintain food discipline?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Funny thing...each time I've had a significant injury or time off the bike I shed weight rapidly. Obviously some *cough* muscle *cough* (stop laughing!) tone deteriorates, but fat too. Though I usually lose my appetite really quickly when not exercising as much.
I find the same thing, even if I'm just having a lazy day; if I'm not being active & burning energy, I have no inclination to eat. Some years ago I was laid up for a month following knee surgery; figured it would be a good chance to put some weight on. Yeah, one kilo, which I burnt off within a week of getting back on the bike!

dunndog

Eats Squid
I find the same thing, even if I'm just having a lazy day; if I'm not being active & burning energy, I have no inclination to eat. Some years ago I was laid up for a month following knee surgery; figured it would be a good chance to put some weight on. Yeah, one kilo, which I burnt off within a week of getting back on the bike!
Mate, my heart bleeds...:puke:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is amazing how quickly getting back in the saddle sheds the badness. A few years back I was regularly (every Friday) hitting a 10km trail loop with a few friends, at their request I just wanted to go dirt jumping. If I was busy all week, the appetite was there. I'd be.eating a serve of brown rice (along with meat and veggies) each day, so i had energy for days. I'd ride ~7km up hill to the trail and then home afterwards. If I was having a less busy week the appetite was lower so I'd get by on lighter meals (steak and salad kind of stuff). Friday would come around and...I just couldn't maintain the pace.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Been sidelined from riding for a couple of months now, going a bit batty. For me, beer is the enemy and also the way to deal with the depression of not being able to ride. A vicious circle resulting in fuck all fitness and a bit of chunk I didn't used to have.

My bikes are sitting there taunting me...

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had another health check today with the GP. I'm at that age where I need to give up some blood and have a PSA check every 1 to 2 years. Somewhat surprisingly, I weighed in at 75.6kg in a t-shirt, shorts and trainers. My GP was pretty happy with the changes I have made, my lung function test and pulse/blood pressure were all pretty good. I'm pretty lean now......I'm down to 12% according to the Doc. I really just need to maintain now, stay off the booze and not go too crazy with servings of Festivus food.

I have kind of become addicted to cardio training and am booked to have a running analysis and script for trainers and orthotics made in January. I want to start running with the goal of finishing (and hopefully beating my older brother) a marathon in October 2017 in sub 3 hours 35min. The other reason I want to start running is it will give me the opportunity to train when I am away working and travelling.

EDIT: I still think about the 60 minute / 300 watt average trip regularly. I can manage 300 watts average for about 42 minutes and then I fade fast.

Last edited:

Mimaki

Squid
I haven't been maintaining any food discipline... but now that I've found something I enjoy (MTB'n) Im keen to lose the excess weight to help climbs...
25kg to drop :frusty:

Zam

Likes Dirt
Long distance running is possibly the worst form of cardio one can do for their body, average for helping cardiovascular system and terrible for joints

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I haven't been maintaining any food discipline... but now that I've found something I enjoy (MTB'n) Im keen to lose the excess weight to help climbs...
Some tips...do more:
- Piss
- Shit
- Puke

Do less:
- Drink
- Eat.

I find the more I ride, the more I eat. It is hard to be constantly preparing nutritious and tastey food, but really important. Nail down some quality meals and stock up on healthy snacks. Avoid fake healthy too...

And drink a shit load of water.

Long distance running is possibly the worst form of cardio one can do for their body, average for helping cardiovascular system and terrible for joints

Who even enjoys running? Fuck that.

deadlegs

Likes Dirt
youll find if your consistent and just try ride more regularly the weight will drop off.

ive lost around 40kg in a couple of years and mostly due to riding.

ive got a before and after pic but no one wants to see that:p

Mimaki

Squid
cheers for the tips fellas, I dropped it a few years ago with weight training and good nutrition.

now doing three trail rides ~15km each per week, do you think that's long enough distance to start drop the weight? the rides take me a good two hours of solid sweating...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
now doing three trail rides ~15km each per week, do you think that's long enough distance to start drop the weight? the rides take me a good two hours of solid sweating...
I think that will help a lot. Regular riding works for me opposed to one big one per week instead. I can easily turn into a fat bastard if I don't ride as much and visit the fridge more. If I do my 1 -1 1/2 hr morning rides 2-3 times per week then I feel better overall and don't pork up as much.

My loop does have a bit of climbing and descents so isn't a flatland loop either. Find a local ride that you can do regular is key for me. Don't worry about if it not this nor that or as good as your weekend rides, just go ride it, have fun and STFU :yuck:

There a load of differing opinions out there from all sorts of experts if higher intensity intervals or longer slower rides help to keep your metabolism at a fat burning rate. I find a brisk ride does it best for me and still feel 'warm' or 'pumped' I guess is the best unscientific word for it hours after a ride at a medium with splashes of high intensity.

Different from the fatigue you get after slugging it out on one of those harder rides where you just feel rooted and can't come home and cut the grass.

I think I keep weight under control more on the road bike since I stop less and it it isn't as start/stop an many MTB's rides. Saying that, I've been given the MTB a bash exclusively lately and I've dropped some beef and avoid the fridge as much as it keeps inviting me over. MTB is more fun for me overall so should get the first preference.

Although, these days I prefer not to think about all of that stuff and just go an enjoy. I have no fit bitz, removed all bike computers nor take HR monitors and other gizmos that turn me into a lab animal. The most I'll do it run the Move! bike computer on my phone and that stays in my backpack or pocket and I don't look at it till I end the ride. Not giving a damn makes it more enjoyable overall.

Mrs is more partial towards vegan that I think does help a bit too but it always hard to avoid crispy pork and other tasty BBQ'ed treats. I have a thing for Viet food lately which sure doesn't hurt either.

When in doubt about life, always turn to the wisdom of Eddy Merckx and he will provide ............

quote-ride-as-much-or-as-little-or-as-long-or-as-short-as-you-feel-but-ride-eddy-merckx-87-11-42.jpg

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Quite possibly true.......but it will be deeply satisfying when i finish and even moreso if I kick my brothers arse.Sometimes sibling rivalry never dies....

The last three months have been an absolute write off for me. I haven't gained a lot of weight (currently on 82kg so gained about 2kg) but body composition and cardio has gone to shit.

It will just have to be a case of starting small again and with consistency hopefully it won't take too long to feel a bit better.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last three months have been an absolute write off for me. I haven't gained a lot of weight (currently on 82kg so gained about 2kg) but body composition and cardio has gone to shit.

It will just have to be a case of starting small again and with consistency hopefully it won't take too long to feel a bit better.
I had a crash a couple of weeks ago on my mtb bike and long story short about 8 days later ended up in hospital for 2 days on IV anti-biotics to stop soft tissue cellulitis and the infection getting into my knee and elbow joints. Whilst in hospital, I was woken up for obs in the early hours and my resting pulse is now 40bpm according to the nurse and the machine. I have become this fit because of consistency.....I leave my car at home and ride where practical/possible and riding between 300 and 400kms per week on a mixture of road bike and mtb. It really is consistency that gets results. Some days I would rather just use the car or catch a lift but for the past year I have tried really hard to make an effort to train consistently.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I had a crash a couple of weeks ago on my mtb bike and long story short about 8 days later ended up in hospital for 2 days on IV anti-biotics to stop soft tissue cellulitis and the infection getting into my knee and elbow joints. Whilst in hospital, I was woken up for obs in the early hours and my resting pulse is now 40bpm according to the nurse and the machine. I have become this fit because of consistency.....I leave my car at home and ride where practical/possible and riding between 300 and 400kms per week on a mixture of road bike and mtb. It really is consistency that gets results. Some days I would rather just use the car or catch a lift but for the past year I have tried really hard to make an effort to train consistently.
Holy fuck! Thought about getting into target shooting?

You're right though. Consistency is the key...eat well each meal, drink healthy, exercise regularly, add on those extra "steps" wherever you can, skip being lazy...I recall the change amongst office drones each year the 10,000 steps challenge was on. Fuck it isn't that hard to nail that many steps for me, but the change in the people who were into it was noticeable over the month...happier and healthier people. Sadly most of them let it slide pretty quickly after it ended.

I'm good for "fuck it!" until next year. Then back onto it pretty hard. Need to work on flexibility and recovery over the next few weeks in prep for a month of snow boarding. This will become tricky as I'm only engaging light trail riding from here on in.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've heard that before about resting heart rates of cyclists.

Holy fuck! Thought about getting into target shooting?

You're right though. Consistency is the key...eat well each meal, drink healthy, exercise regularly, add on those extra "steps" wherever you can, skip being lazy...I recall the change amongst office drones each year the 10,000 steps challenge was on. Fuck it isn't that hard to nail that many steps for me, but the change in the people who were into it was noticeable over the month...happier and healthier people. Sadly most of them let it slide pretty quickly after it ended.

I'm good for "fuck it!" until next year. Then back onto it pretty hard. Need to work on flexibility and recovery over the next few weeks in prep for a month of snow boarding. This will become tricky as I'm only engaging light trail riding from here on in.
Pumps track as fast and hard as you can or rise up those big hills.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have fallen off the wagon over Christmas/NY bigtime. NY was one of the most drunken I have ever had and the food was too good to resist. Back on the wagon today with a ride and fuck me it was hot. Luckily the route has been cleverly planned around the availability of free water at drinking fountains.