Is it a cheater switch and do you use it?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Brake...dropper remote....lockout...some still running front mech...many running garmin etc on bars...
Yeah nah, cuss that. I like my cockpit like my suspension design.
Don't forget Zaf already has 1 more extra cable than the rest of us with his Gearbox grip shift. I can't even look at Scott Genius without shuddering because of the cable mess.
General question. Wasn't there a shock design a while ago that once it felt a sharp enough hit it flicked itself back to open?

Reactions: Zaf

moorey

call me Mia
Don't forget Zaf already has 1 more extra cable than the rest of us with his Gearbox grip shift. I can't even look at Scott Genius without shuddering because of the cable mess.
General question. Wasn't there a shock design a while ago that once it felt a sharp enough hit it flicked itself back to open?
Brain? Had one. Awful. Lapierre electric thingy? Mate had it...swore it was great at start. Quickly sold it and never spoke of it again.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I have 3-pos twinlock. And use it. Don't care if it's cheating, need to conserve as much energy as possible when climbing.

Bar clutter is real and a pain though - Just need to put a servo on the shock and make up a switch that's linked to dropper. Dropper down = open mode, dropper up = trail mode, maybe a manual override for those that want full lockout...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
I've always used the pedal switch on my shocks to reduce monkey motion. Recently however, on my new build with no switches at all, 170mm travel front and rear, big honking wheels with heavy rubber, I've been smashing the climbs relying strictly on the correct sag and LSC setting on my shock. When a bike works, it just plain works.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Voice activated? I would say I'd use it more with a bar mount too because in the case of forgetting you can at least not have to slow right down.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The 1996 Marzocchi Z1 Bomber had "speed sensitive valving" but never heard of that tech being used in a rear shock.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I can't read your tone!!! I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not!!!
Sarcastic in that the Z1 had something of the functionality of what Jpez described, and the next time I heard of it was the Trek/Fox/Penske rear shock. I am far from well versed in rear shocks so if that kind of speed sensitive valving is just a thing that's built into most good damping systems now I'm happy to be schooled.

I had the Trek Reaktiv but it worked in the opposite way in that it only seemed useful for those times you had a small downhill section mid climb and didn't want to flick the switch back to Trail/DH but still blow through some bumps, it just wasn't noticeable in either of the other modes. It kind of became the safety valve for when you forgot to flick the switch back.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The larger fox evol can has a very decent firm/lockout. I use it quite a bit because it actually does something unlike the old fox shocks.. It is also nice to firm it up for smooth uphill/flats/road to keep the bike geometry in a pedal friendly position..