Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
many people gone from Stans Arch Ex or Flow Ex rims to the LB Carbons? What type of weight wheel builds in 27.5 have people got? Think I'd go brass nipples, maybe hope hubs. I'd ultimately love a 1600g set 30mm wide external. Not sure if they can be built that light or would you need different lighter hubs?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
many people gone from Stans Arch Ex or Flow Ex rims to the LB Carbons? What type of weight wheel builds in 27.5 have people got? Think I'd go brass nipples, maybe hope hubs. I'd ultimately love a 1600g set 30mm wide external. Not sure if they can be built that light or would you need different lighter hubs?
Not eactly what you're after unfortunately, but my wheel progression on my 5.7C over the last few years has been:
- Stans Crest on DT Swiss 240 hubs, Alu nipples - 1514g
- Stans FlowEX on Hope ProII Evo hubs, Alu nipples - 1970g
- LB 33mm Wide AM Rims on DT Swiss 240, Brass Nipples (same hubs from Crest set) - 1554g

All wheelsets have used DT Swiss Comp (Double butted) spokes. So essentially I got the wider than the FlowEX, stiffer, but for pretty much the same weight as the Crests.

This was on a 26" bike, and I used differing hubs between the heavier FlowEX Set and the LB Set, but basically my LB rims were the same weight as the Crest rims. That should give you an idea of weight savings if you use the same components between builds.

Weight aside, the stiffness of the LB wheelset was very much noticeable over the FlowEX set, and a hug difference over the older Crest set.

Good luck!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
650b 35mm on Hope Pro Evo II (15mm and 142x12mm) DT Swiss DB spoke ,32h , Brass nipples. Including stans rim tape and valves.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432847289.011669.jpg

Hi
Well, just found a crack in my LB 35mm 29er rear wheel. Not happy Jan!
Only 5 months old and riden by a cowardly 42 year old, all be it an unskilled cowardly 42year old.
I'll be pushing very hard for a warranty replacement but will most probably sell up and move back to alloy.
Anyone got opinions on Easton Arc or Dt Swiss EX471 as a LB replacement. I just want something strong that will handle my wally, poor line choice riding style.

cheers

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Where is crack and under what circumstances did it happen?

They should send you a new and you just pay postage.

Where is crack and under what circumstances did it happen?

They should send you a new and you just pay postage.
Two cracks on the edge of the rim, a bit of delamination as well. I'd hope the warranty comes through due to the rims being only 5 months old and they were built by LB. I also requested a strong rim. We'll see how I go, easier to sell two rims.

Cheers

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should be taking delivery of my LB 38mm wheels in the next 2 weeks, can I ask what sort of valves people are using? Do I need a longer valves the standard Stans tubeless ones? or will they be fine? And what sort of rim tape works best?

Just want to make sure I've got everything ready to go.
Thanks,
Ben

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I should be taking delivery of my LB 38mm wheels in the next 2 weeks, can I ask what sort of valves people are using? Do I need a longer valves the standard Stans tubeless ones? or will they be fine? And what sort of rim tape works best?

Just want to make sure I've got everything ready to go.
Thanks,
Ben
I use standard Stans valves and stans tape.

teK--

Eats Squid
I had some trouble with the stans ones leaking around the valve body so I used some dt swiss ones which had a flat interface which seals better against the spoke rim bed.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys,
I'll give my stans valves and tape a go and see what happens. If it doesn't play nice I'll try the dt swiss option.

Can't wait for em!

Last edited: