Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

Isildur

The Real Pedant
yeah, I noticed those this morning too...

But for $259 USD per rim? That's quite expensive for LB! If you factor in their usual shipping charges and 3% wally (PayPal) fee, you're looking at $572 USD to get there here, or about $820 with the current exchange...

Pricey...

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

But for $259 USD per rim? That's quite expensive for LB! If you factor in their usual shipping charges and 3% wally (PayPal) fee, you're looking at $572 USD to get there here, or about $820 with the current exchange...

Pricey...
Particularly when there are lots of wide aluminum without massive weight penalties on the market now....

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt

Pricey...
I still think they're great value. The lower exchange rate really screws us though...

They have a paypal code which gives you a 3.5% discount.

On top of this you can use their eBay store, get your Cash Rewards cashback and then when eBay has a 10-15% off sale you'll claw a bit of the value back.

Either way, for carbon rims they are still great value.

The 28mm internal width is what I reckon to be the perfect (actually I reckon 27mm) ID for the current crop of tyres.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I still think they're great value. The lower exchange rate really screws us though...

They have a paypal code which gives you a 3.5% discount.

On top of this you can use their eBay store, get your Cash Rewards cashback and then when eBay has a 10-15% off sale you'll claw a bit of the value back.

Either way, for carbon rims they are still great value.

The 28mm internal width is what I reckon to be the perfect (actually I reckon 27mm) ID for the current crop of tyres.
Yeah 28 max IMO with current tires. Not tried Maxxis wide trails yet though.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You guys reckon 30mm internal are too wide for current tyres?
Yes- whole thread on this topic on mtbr, though it's just a he said, she said thing for the last 30 pages, but the professional ex tyre designer for maxxis said they use a 24mm internal rim width as their base for tyre design and performance. Currently, the World Cup downhillers seem to be all using similar around 25mm width (internal) rims.

It'd be fair to say that 19mm rims aren't too good in a 2.3 tyre. It'd be hard to call enve a bunch on numpties when it comes to rim design, and they've decided on 26mm as their widest. From an r+d perspective I'd put enve up against light bicyle anytime, and also up against NOX and derby which seem to be born out of a backyard shed in the last 2 or 3 years and have driven - if wide is better then heaps wide should be heaps better! Through mtbr and pink bike particularly.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^^^ Which is why I ended up ordering 24mm internal/30mm external 29er rims.

Picking just about any tyre from the shelf & being confident it will work is a good thing.

Z

Zaf

^^^ Which is why I ended up ordering 24mm internal/30mm external 29er rims.

Picking just about any tyre from the shelf & being confident it will work is a good thing.
Out of interest, have you guys ridden the wider profiles with decent tyres (both in a profile and compound sense)? And what was the gripe with going wider from a performance perspective?

My LB 38's with 2.3 Minion DHF / SS has been an amazing combination on my Stumpy, and in terrain that is characteristic of its lack of traction due to the sandy composition and loose rock with hard packed surfaces.
I'm running these tyres with 15/18psi in them, I'm not getting dings into the bead and it's giving me traction that I'm honestly not used to, keep giving it, but these tyres don't want to break loose unless I give the brakes a solid pull or a large rock rolls out from underneath them.

Admittedly, I've not tried a rim in that 26-28mm range my Zelvy's are in the 30mm ballpark, Rovals 22mm and my Flow EX's are just a little wider again I think. Is it that there's little difference beyond that point? That you can't feel a difference between a 28mm wide rim and a 34mm?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Out of interest, have you guys ridden the wider profiles with decent tyres (both in a profile and compound sense)? And what was the gripe with going wider from a performance perspective?
No, only highly accurate internet research ;-)

It's the "decent tyres" thing that bothered me most. I've got a stash of Conti & Schwalbe tyres in my workshop & I would like to use them one day.

Z

Zaf

No, only highly accurate internet research ;-)

It's the "decent tyres" thing that bothered me most. I've got a stash of Conti & Schwalbe tyres in my workshop & I would like to use them one day.
Yeah I know the feeling. I think I posted the profiles of my tyres on the wide rims, I was worried how square the Minion SS came up on the 38`s, but it appears they hold a similar profile even on thinner rims (that argument goes both ways), and in a practical sense, I'm not feeling any disadvantages yet.

I'd love to run some back to back and see how they feel.
LB 38's are 32mm internal right?
31.6mm according to the spec sheet they sent me. They're a beautifully stiff rim!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nope. - but you don't need personal experience to make a good judgement (using expert experience of others is a good way to go)

Disadvantage would be more weight in the rim, and more likely rim hits that are direct rock to carbon.

Found this, which someone might find interesting

http://enve.com/journal/is-wider-always-better/

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
My Zelvys are 29mm internal, same the my Mavic 729's, very happy with the width, but I wouldnt go wider.

Great width for schwalbe 2.35's and the slightly bigger maxxis's - 2.4 / 2.5, anything smaller than a 2.3 has a pretty average profile.

Going from 25mm to 29mm dropped pressures by about 5psi, noticeably more traction and less rim dings.

Last edited: