Little Things You Hate

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
40kmh school zones, what a fuckin' crock of shit! If they were truly worried about safety outside schools, they'd erect a physical barrier, thus preventing a child being hit at any speed.....but you can't entrap motorists with ridiculous operating hours & revenue raise with ideas like that.

I may or may not be waiting for an infringement notice in the mail over the next couple of weeks :tsk:
You could just do 40km in a school zone and not be a cock about it. Of all the speed zones we have to adhere to, this one makes more sense than most.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
You could just do 40km in a school zone and not be a cock about it. Of all the speed zones we have to adhere to, this one makes more sense than most.
For someone with almost 9500 posts on a forum, I'd have thought your comprehension skills might be a little better. I offered up a better solution to the one that currently exists, reducing the risk of a child been hit at all & removing the need for a 40km zone in the first place. If you're happy with a kid potentially getting hit at 40kph, then you're the one that has being a cock issues!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
This!

The average child's nasty habit of running obliviously onto roads or jumping out of vehicles, without thinking + the average driver's propensity for operating an motor vehicle while having their attention solely focused on their colon = disaster.

Plus the sweet, sweet ironing of my wife, an educator of 20 years experience, getting pinged for doing 70 in a school zone by the rozzers, then trying to use the fact she is a teacher to weasel out of the fine...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
For someone with almost 9500 posts on a forum, I'd have thought your comprehension skills might be a little better. I offered up a better solution to the one that currently exists, reducing the risk of a child been hit at all & removing the need for a 40km zone in the first place. If you're happy with a kid potentially getting hit at 40kph, then you're the one that has being a cock issues!
Yeah, notsomuch. Maybe if you are going to defend an opinion with such vigour, you should put a little thought into it. I, for one would be a little perturbed if my child was crushed between an Armco and a van, being driven at 60kmh by some tool smsing his girlfriend, because they were forced to walk along the road to get to the gap in the "safety barrier" during the insanity of dropoff/pickup time.

I suggest getting Haakon to vet your ideas on the issue, before posting, but he wouldn't understand.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
40kmh school zones, what a fuckin' crock of shit! If they were truly worried about safety outside schools, they'd erect a physical barrier, thus preventing a child being hit at any speed.....but you can't entrap motorists with ridiculous operating hours & revenue raise with ideas like that.

I may or may not be waiting for an infringement notice in the mail over the next couple of weeks :tsk:
I look forward to pedestrian controlled boom gates at every school crossing point...that'd work :nerd:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Skydome,

I’ve been in Telco for over 40 years… lightning is a seriously powerful mofo and can fuck all sorts of stuff… for instance, I have recently replaced my ADSL modem due to it… and had a carrier street cable repair due to it last year, where I was able to prove the fault was in the carriers street cabling.

The bottom line is that lightning can fuck the carrier DSLAM in the exchange, the carrier street cabling, your house cabling and/or your ADSL modem. Telstra have said to you their exchange is sweet (the DSLAM) and you have replaced the ADSL modem… so if those two things are actually OK, then that only leaves the carrier street cabling or your house cabling.

When cabling (carrier and/or house) gets belted by lightning, it gets clobbered so bad that it loses its insulation… so it develops a thing called LIR (Low Insulation Resistance) sometimes to ground , sometimes between A+B. Regardless, your job (or the carriers, if they gave a shit) is to prove whether the carrier street cabling is at fault or your house cabling is the problem.

If I were you, I would look for your house POE (Point Of Entry) which is where the carrier street cabling enters your house and if you can… wire your ADSL modem in directly there, with the house cabling disconnected… if connected at the POE and it is still a dog and slower than hell, then the carrier cabling is to blame… if it is fast, then your house cabling is probably toast.

Basically… if the carrier DSLAM and your ADSL modem are OK, then you need to prove the cabling problem into either the carrier street cabling or your house cabling.
How do you even find the POE? I don't know if it helps, but we've tried using both points in the house and same stuff.

Is it worth getting the next telstra tech to check the cabling under the house and check the street cabling?

Worth asking them to try changing ports just to rule it out?

I just feel as though since we're getting no packet loss i feel something else is slowing it down. I'd assume to be seeing packet loss if the lightening clobbered the shielding in the house or along the street?

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Yeah, notsomuch. Maybe if you are going to defend an opinion with such vigour, you should put a little thought into it. I, for one would be a little perturbed if my child was crushed between an Armco and a van, being driven at 60kmh by some tool smsing his girlfriend, because they were forced to walk along the road to get to the gap in the "safety barrier" during the insanity of dropoff/pickup time.

I suggest getting Haakon to vet your ideas on the issue, before posting, but he wouldn't understand.
Furry muff. Granted my suggestion is a little simplistic & was more directed at major arterials (3 lane roads like Maroondah Hwy, Springvale Rd) which I failed to communicate. There's lotsa scenarios to take into account for sure. I'll leave it at that.

slowmick

38-39"
Fuck I feel old. I hate modern lifestyles and would like to be more like my 70s childhood please. Back when primary school kids used to walk to school or ride a bike. Where the only kids who got picked up live well out of the way. The cars used to wait in the street around the corner and there was only ever about 10 of them.

Now everyone seems to be in rush with their kids. Either dropping them kids off before speeding off to work or coffee/gym with friends and then rushing around to pick them up and get them to organised after school activities. I don’t have kids (so I don’t understand) but I figure if people weren’t in such a fuckin rush there wouldn’t be the need to slow them down.

One question for those who have kids – do they still have Hector the Cat? (Look to the right, look to the left, look to the right again?)

I don’t mind 40km school zone in school times. Permanent 40km zones can eat a bag.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
One question for those who have kids – do they still have Hector the Cat? (Look to the right, look to the left, look to the right again?)
Nope, he's doing a 20 stretch in Barwon at her majesty's pleasure, for getting a little too touchy.

TBH, can't remember seeing any road safety ads aimed at kids, since I've had them. Just that Laurie Lawrence twat doing the swim safety ads that sound like Ken Bruce is fulfilling his community service order.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Harold was a champ.

Mum works at a school, went there to drop some stuff off when kids are being picked up, slow down to 40 but this mum is sitting in her car, yells across the road and this kid runs out from behind the parked cars across the road to mums car without looking! How hard is it for the parent to get out, walk the crossing, hold their kids hand and cross safely with the crossing traffic ladies?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Who the fuck complains about low speed limits around schools...? I do 30 through them, clipping someone's kid is bad juju. As mentioned, they have a fun habit of being distracted and wandering out at inopportune times - because they're kids... I'm perfectly happy to lose half minute or less of my life in order to not kill someone.