Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

Odious Geriatric
Staff member
Been doing some reading. Cannot find in the ADRs where hooks are prohibited. From my own experience those spring latch hooks have been phased out of construction for over 10 years because a load could bounce and deform the latch and allow a chain to fall out. The latched hooks that look like a back to back S would be ok but those things are expensive. Probably buy 199 D shackles and a wristy for the same price.

Must be cool. But then I mouse shackles so what would I know.

moorey

Cereal killer
Been doing some reading. Cannot find in the ADRs where hooks are prohibited. From my own experience those spring latch hooks have been phased out of construction for over 10 years because a load could bounce and deform the latch and allow a chain to fall out. The latched hooks that look like a back to back S would be ok but those things are expensive. Probably buy 199 D shackles and a wristy for the same price.

Must be cool. But then I mouse shackles so what would I know.
You mouse shackles?

Quick google was a rabbit hole of info on stamped chains and D bolt styles, but this was quoted...

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Yes at the trailer end they chains should be fixed to the trailer in a permanent manner. They attach to the towbar using shackles or similar.

It’s not that shackles are bad at the trailer end but the idea is that there should only be one end to check/manage reducing risk of “I didn’t check the other end”

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Clevis hooks.

Have a swl that is legal, have a shock load that is not. Also make you look like a flog who never tows.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

Odious Geriatric
Staff member
Did @Hipstar buy an ex RACV Ute?
SES, Sexy Exotic Services.

When you do some travel among the grey gonads you see lots of dumb shit with caravaneers. Overloaded tow cars, knackered suspenders so the tow hitch is dragging on the ground, break aways connected to the hitch etc. There are some dumb people out there.

moorey

Cereal killer
SES, Sexy Exotic Services.

When you do some travel among the grey gonads you see lots of dumb shit with caravaneers. Overloaded tow cars, knackered suspenders so the tow hitch is dragging on the ground, break aways connected to the hitch etc. There are some dumb people out there.
I’ll be honest...that sounds like me in the future if not already.
All I’m saying is that those Clevis hooks are a wanky fashion accessory :p