Little Things You Hate

safreek

This area has yielded me a lot of clients over the years. Outside the housing commission area the town is mostly low socio-economic with little opportunity for those that are already on the edge. These guys will be quickly replaced by new entrepreneurs and the shit will continue.

Some people do escape it all and get well ahead of where they started out. It isn't an easy journey for them, but it is nice to see.
But just remember, no Fucken credit . Don't fall for the old " on my next doley " you will never get out of poverty or the area

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I came here to bitch about my expensive German made dishwasher that flooded my kitchen.......

Look grandad, get with times...we call it pay day now.
I've no idea what payday is worth for those relying on the taxpayers to support them.

Two adults and three kids might receive 25k in assistance?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
School holidays..."sick pushy man..blah blah blah blah blah." yeah kid look unless you've got a hot mum that needs a service I came to ride not talk shit. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Are you the old guy at the DJs? One smart ass said to me "no you go first, respect to your elders!" then took off laughing his head off.

safreek

Look grandad, get with times...we call it pay day now.
Fuck me, you don't even earn your pay anymore. Back in the old days people had to walk down to the dole office, line up for at least 5 minutes, hand the form in and then make their way back home again. Exhausting shit, really earn your money. Then you had to wait til the next day or the day after, again walk all the way to the bank to get the money, no such things as atms back in them days junior. Then go all the way ta the speed dealer(.no ice in those days), hope he was home because there were no mobile phones to keep in contact. That shit was so hard that I decided getting a job was much easier. :thumb:

stirk

Burner
Fuck me, you don't even earn your pay anymore. Back in the old days people had to walk down to the dole office, line up for at least 5 minutes, hand the form in and then make their way back home again. Exhausting shit, really earn your money. Then you had to wait til the next day or the day after, again walk all the way to the bank to get the money, no such things as atms back in them days junior. Then go all the way ta the speed dealer(.no ice in those days), hope he was home because there were no mobile phones to keep in contact. That shit was so hard that I decided getting a job was much easier. :thumb:
While maybe not as readily available as speed back in your youth meth has a long history. Even back in your day it was around just very underground.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/...to-footy-players-heres-a-short-history-of-ice

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Your cousin's PhD sounds legit and relevant, is the problem with the qual or the person?

I think your perception is simplistic and misunderstands a few things. Take for example my potential PhD gig, I'm interested in Indo-Pacific strategic relations and what the Cold War might tell us about future outcomes. But you can't do a PhD on such a massive issue because it won't work and I have to find an argument that hasn't already been made. So I will have to focus on a particular aspect of this issue, which might be Chinese decision making on Second Artillery placements from 1969-1985. May sound ridiculous to folk outside of the field and it may actually well be. But given the kind of research that has to be done I'll walk away with a deep knowledge of Sino-Russo-US-Indian strategic relations, nuclear capabilities, technological rates of advancement, strategic cultures....., etc.

Looking at the title or scope of the PhD study only misunderstands the dealio. Sure, some are fucking ridiculous (anything to do with art, at least 75% of anything to do with sociology, at least anything to do with 100% of gender studies and pretty much anything that I'm not interested in or not smrat enough to understand) but the title of the gig isn't where the meat is at and just the proven ability to research, create an argument and communicate it is something in and of itself. That also doesn't defend the standard of some that are awarded, the end prod is only as good as its guidance and marking.

Screw you, my PhD will change the world and I will be more revered in my field than whatshername and that other guy who did that thing!!
Sorry, but it sounds like you're saying that only certain fields of study are worthy of granting PhDs ?
I know several people with PhDs in fields you've deemed "ridiculous". My sister went to school for over 10 years and has several degrees include a Doctorate. She is no less deserving of respect for her field of study than you are for yours. She has taught at some of the most prestigious schools in her field before she was 30. If getting a PhD in the arts is so easy, I'm sure you can back it up by showing off all the ones you've got, right ?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He didn't say they were easy, just ridiculous, and not that I have a view on any of it, as I think a PhD would lead to psychosis for me, but ive seen some and it's obvious they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for unexplored angles. Also, I thought teaching is an inherent part of it. So that in and of itself does not make a PhD in a ridiculous topic any less ridiculous.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sorry, but it sounds like you're saying that only certain fields of study are worthy of granting PhDs ?
I think he meant not all PhDs are equal. Some are more useful than others. A Thesis on Abstract art for example has little real practical use.

I'm also in the camp that believes there are serious differences in the level of 'easiness'. For sociology for example the base level of knowledge and understanding is much lower than something like mathematics. I've seen people with nothing more than a high school certificate get awarded a sociology based PhD. Try pull that stunt of with one in Mathematics.

I have an Engineering based one. Composite structural health monitoring in laymens term.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you the old guy at the DJs? One smart ass said to me "no you go first, respect to your elders!" then took off laughing his head off.
I often am one of the old guys at the dirt jumps...which one is about perspective of "old". Yesterday I wasn't the old guy riding the full rigid 20 year old bike with bull horns. I was the old guy shredding the gnar...briefly. I skipped out to the trails.

Little groms had been up to the usual tricks this week too. Evidence of a small fire in the middle of one of the jumps and evidence of a larger fire beside the jumps. It isn't that exciting to jump your be over a piss weak smokey fire kids! Make it huge and then let me know.

I left the lollies at home.

The fucking horror! No way would I do that much work for me pay. I'd have to be away from the play station for way too long.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think he meant not all PhDs are equal. Some are more useful than others. A Thesis on Abstract art for example has little real practical use.

I'm also in the camp that believes there are serious differences in the level of 'easiness'. For sociology for example the base level of knowledge and understanding is much lower than something like mathematics. I've seen people with nothing more than a high school certificate get awarded a sociology based PhD. Try pull that stunt of with one in Mathematics.

I have an Engineering based one. Composite structural health monitoring in laymens term.
Your practical application of English as a written language and eye for detail must have proven quite the challenge when it all came down to the wire?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I know several people with PhDs in fields you've deemed "ridiculous". My sister went to school for over 10 years and has several degrees include a Doctorate. She is no less deserving of respect for her field of study than you are for yours. She has taught at some of the most prestigious schools in her field before she was 30. If getting a PhD in the arts is so easy, I'm sure you can back it up by showing off all the ones you've got, right ?
Did this line:

.....and pretty much anything that I'm not interested in or not smrat enough to understand

not indicate to you the level of seriousness in my post, or in that paragraph at least?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Your practical application of English as a written language and eye for detail must have proven quite the challenge when it all came down to the wire?
It was an engineering one lol. Engineers are English geese. There are people you can pay to do the proof reading while you go belt out some singletrack.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It was an engineering one lol. Engineers are English geese. There are people you can pay to do the proof reading while you go belt out some singletrack.
Proof reading is sooooooooooo boring, even when you're getting paid to do it. I'd be happy to outsource it.