Little Things You Love

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Never thought about it, but how do you rest meat and still serve it hot?
2 things to think about here...the buzzard carcass came out of my oven at about 180 degrees Celsius. I wrapped it back up in foil and popped it back in the now switched off oven to rest. This was about 1.5 hours of resting. My mum picked it up and took it to her place and sat it on the bench. It was still really fucking hot at this time. I rocked up and carved the turkey about 30-45 minutes after that and the great beast was still steaming and difficult to work due to the heat. Sometimes meat will retain the heat a long time and a turkey is a big thing, plus foil power. Now the other aspect is that most people serve roast beast with very hot gravy. This works wonders for keeping stuff hot! I like gravy but I went for something truely special...burnt butter + sage sauce. Basically fry sage leaves in butter until the butter splits up and changes colour. Pour that straight over the carved turkey once the diners are seated. This was hot enough to make an audible sizzle noise and build additional crispness. The crispy sage leaves are awesome.

Resting is beneficial because fuck me have you ever tried to touch something that is 180 degrees? It's just too hot to handle properly and you end up with a fucked bird. Also as noted by @scblack allowing the meat to rest let's it relax and redistribute the flavours. I remember seeing an analogy once where it was likened to jumping into a cold pool. When you do that your body tenses up...sake for meat in the oven or pan. So let it rest for a better meal. Just be careful of food safety...we don't want no salmonella! Or anything else grim.

Pic of the mighty beast (can't remember if I posted it before?), but that leg spread...what a seductive thing. Also here's some slow roasted crispy pork belly from lunch today. I've eaten a lot of pork belly in my time and I think this may be the best...garlic, salt, pepper, fennel seed, mustard seed, thyme, and the secret bonus was orange zest and orange juice. The zest is what the little charred bits are. Talk about popping with flavour! It was delicious and super tender, except the crackling. That was epic crunchy.

Edit: yes mum...there was veggies. Lots of them.

Attachments

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You leave the meat whole. Not chopped up. It’s HOT when it’s out of the oven, so leaving it for 20mins or so means it stays very hot. The resting allows the meat to build its flavour. It’s a very important step.
2 things to think about here...the buzzard carcass came out of my oven at about 180 degrees Celsius. I wrapped it back up in foil and popped it back in the now switched off oven to rest. This was about 1.5 hours of resting. My mum picked it up and took it to her place and sat it on the bench. It was still really fucking hot at this time. I rocked up and carved the turkey about 30-45 minutes after that and the great beast was still steaming and difficult to work due to the heat. Sometimes meat will retain the heat a long time and a turkey is a big thing, plus foil power. Now the other aspect is that most people serve roast beast with very hot gravy. This works wonders for keeping stuff hot! I like gravy but I went for something truely special...burnt butter + sage sauce. Basically fry sage leaves in butter until the butter splits up and changes colour. Pour that straight over the carved turkey once the diners are seated. This was hot enough to make an audible sizzle noise and build additional crispness. The crispy sage leaves are awesome.

Resting is beneficial because fuck me have you ever tried to touch something that is 180 degrees? It's just too hot to handle properly and you end up with a fucked bird. Also as noted by @scblack allowing the meat to rest let's it relax and redistribute the flavours. I remember seeing an analogy once where it was likened to jumping into a cold pool. When you do that your body tenses up...sake for meat in the oven or pan. So let it rest for a better meal. Just be careful of food safety...we don't want no salmonella! Or anything else grim.

Pic of the mighty beast (can't remember if I posted it before?), but that leg spread...what a seductive thing. Also here's some slow roasted crispy pork belly from lunch today. I've eaten a lot of pork belly in my time and I think this may be the best...garlic, salt, pepper, fennel seed, mustard seed, thyme, and the secret bonus was orange zest and orange juice. The zest is what the little charred bits are. Talk about popping with flavour! It was delicious and super tender, except the crackling. That was epic crunchy.

Edit: yes mum...there was veggies. Lots of them.
Cheers Gents. I did know it's an important step, just didn't know the process.

I've also not attempted a whole beast before, always stayed with pre-cut.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Faith in humanity marginally restored. Needed a pilot bearing removing tool, so before I went and spent the $60 for a tool I’ll need once, I asked the bloke at the clutch place that machined the flywheel for me if I could hire a tool.

No charge. Job done. And he only charged me $30 cash for the flywheel machine.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Faith in humanity marginally restored. Needed a pilot bearing removing tool, so before I went and spent the $60 for a tool I’ll need once, I asked the bloke at the clutch place that machined the flywheel for me if I could hire a tool.

No charge. Job done. And he only charged me $30 cash for the flywheel machine.
Legend. As a mechanic I can say 98% of us are happy to lend out tools and are free with information. If I'm out doing a job for a customer they'll quite often slip in that they've got other small issues with their machines. You can tell pretty quickly if they want you to fix it or if they just want a bit of information to tackle it themselves. I don't blame them at all when our company charges us out at $150 an hr, plus travel. Sometimes farmers just need to be pointed in the right direction and they can figure it out and are pretty resourceful in doing work themselves.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I dropped into the new (and highly overrated wanktastic fuckwitsfest that is) Harris Farm Market here in Newcastle. Fat cock heads waddling the narrow isles as though visiting the place was a good excuse to get out for the day...how does that even work? Who wants to stare at produce for a hobby? Anyway I was a man on a mission! I'd missed the local (and very close to home) fisherman's cooperative with a last minute snap decision to go fishing and this place has a fish monger. They even had something suitable - slimy markeral. Sure they were expensive compared to my usual shit fish dealer but I only need a little one to catch other little fish with to then spend a few hours not catching any fish...I figure I should grab some groceries because fuck Coles. A bag of coffee, some pork fillets, well they'll need some oranges and holy shit!!!!!

LTIL: paying $3/kg for limes.

Is this why all those fat pricks were wandering so aimlessly? Just stunned and bewildered by the price of limes? I'll never know because I didntbhave time to talk to them...at 400000000 degrees my pork and fish time bomb was ticking.

I rushed home under the express directions of the Harris team to make mojitos and fuck this stinking weather off.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Spent a few hours wandering the art gallery of nsw this afternoon. All that air con...so much better than the outside, even now.