Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK. For the last few months videos on vimeo have been absolutely shocking for me. Almost all videos, particularly recently uploaded ones, will lag and have the worst playback known to man. It never used to be like this.

Does anyone know why? Help me please!!

Kane.

Likes Dirt
OK. For the last few months videos on vimeo have been absolutely shocking for me. Almost all videos, particularly recently uploaded ones, will lag and have the worst playback known to man. It never used to be like this.

Does anyone know why? Help me please!!
What are you exporting it too?/What program from?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone used this ... http://www.xslimmer.com/?
Looks interesting, But I am a bit wary about programs like that. I think the concept is good, but most likely does more harm than good.

Ziggy, I suggest trying to get the latest flash player.

If it isnt that, make sure you let the video buffer before trying to watch it, Your internet connection may not be able to keep up and it is running out of data to play (playing faster than receiving it), Hence creating the lag

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are you exporting it too?/What program from?
Im not exporting it, im just loading the videos from the vimeo site?

Looks interesting, But I am a bit wary about programs like that. I think the concept is good, but most likely does more harm than good.

Ziggy, I suggest trying to get the latest flash player.

If it isnt that, make sure you let the video buffer before trying to watch it, Your internet connection may not be able to keep up and it is running out of data to play (playing faster than receiving it), Hence creating the lag
Yeh i always make sure i have ample video buffered before i go clicking play. Hmm i think i've tried downloading the most recent flash player in the past but for some reason it never worked. Ill try again :)

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Oh hello there fellow macintosh user, my name is safari and i am here to royally fuck your internet experience right up!"

Im on the flash player site, about to download flash player 10. I click 'select an operating system' and then continue to select 'Macintosh OS X 10.1 - 10.3'. Heh easy enough i say, and now to click continue! NOTHING, nada, zilch, ZERO! Nothing happens! Nothing loads, nothing works nothing even remotely looks like its doing anyting!

God damn it i would rather knaw my foot off than be within 50metres of another macintosh operating system or safari. Or better yet, BOTH.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My girlfriends mac's feeling dominated. It runs super slow, it might be down to the hard drive being almost full, but what else could it be.

I have no idea because I'm on windows.

How many processes is to many for Mac's? She's got 53 running.

indica

Serial flasher
My girlfriends mac's feeling dominated. It runs super slow, it might be down to the hard drive being almost full, but what else could it be.

I have 72 running and no probs.
Which Mac?
Ram?
OS?
HDD? How much spare space?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Macintosh OS X 10.1 - 10.3'/QUOTE]

I think that would be part of the problem. I am assuming your computer is PPC, so upgrade it to 10.4 (10.5 is intel).

Which safari are you using? Im guessing it will be of similar vintage to your OS? Try downloading Safari 4.0 beta, BIG improvement on the older versions.

When you tried to download it, did the downloads box pop up, but behind the window? They can be sneaky little buggers sometimes :rolleyes:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt

512mb of ram and the full hard drive. A rebuild will breath in new life, and also I recommend you get an external HD for mass storage of things you will only use once, but need to keep......It really helps,

Also UNIX-based systems HATE having files not stored inside /Users/you. Make sure on your new computer you dont store files/folders just straight onto the hard drive. Also Macs dont like excess crap dumped on the desktop either.

EDIT: Im running 61 processes

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Macintosh OS X 10.1 - 10.3'/QUOTE]

I think that would be part of the problem. I am assuming your computer is PPC, so upgrade it to 10.4 (10.5 is intel).

Huh? Why upgrade it? Fare enough its a wise decision but i don't have the cash to. Besides if the flash player site is giving me an option to download flash 10 in OS X 10.1 - 10.3 whats the problem?

Which safari are you using? Im guessing it will be of similar vintage to your OS? Try downloading Safari 4.0 beta, BIG improvement on the older versions.

Sweet, ill look into that. Is it free to download from the mac site?

When you tried to download it, did the downloads box pop up, but behind the window? They can be sneaky little buggers sometimes :rolleyes:

Yeh checked that of course. Nothing was in the downloads window.
:).........

indica

Serial flasher
Okay, for anyone with a slow Mac, check out this funky little app.
Xslimmer, it removes all the excess crap from your apps, saving space and opening time.
Works a treat.