Marzocchi 55 CR Forks 2013

indica

Serial flasher
Does anyone have these?
How do they compare to Rockshox Lyrics?

They look good, I have always love zokes...

moorey

call me Mia
Best bud will any day now. Ordered through lbs a month ago. Great reviews, keen to hear myself (as a lyric man)

moorey

call me Mia
Sweet, let me know how they go.
They Marzocchi and they shiny...
He wooda bought lyrics, based on loving mine if he coulda found a good set, but there's no flicking way he will be disappointed in the cr's.
Not jealous much :yield:

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've a set on order, two weeks old bean tells me..
First thing to do is remove those horrible stickers, then whack the 20mm spacer in to drop travel to 150mm.
Maybe I'll find out the hard way when I get them but if they're a similar weight to 36s / Lyrics and have that bonza old school Bomber feel and they're a shitload cheaper, why are they not more popular?

dunndog

Eats Squid
I've a set on order, two weeks old bean tells me..
First thing to do is remove those horrible stickers, then whack the 20mm spacer in to drop travel to 150mm.
Maybe I'll find out the hard way when I get them but if they're a similar weight to 36s / Lyrics and have that bonza old school Bomber feel and they're a shitload cheaper, why are they not more popular?
From what I can gather they are very popular in other parts of the world, including Canada. I think many here aren't on the marzocchi train be ause it simply hasn't taken off, it's all about 40's vs boxxers for some reason. I had 888's until very recently, sick forks. I have no doubt you'll love these Indica.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I had lyrics and went to 55rc3 ti. Just like my other boxxer to 888rc3 experience on the big bike I'm never going back rockshox. I can't comment on the 55cr but my 2012 55rc3ti fork is really good. I had the 20mm spacer in but just took it out for some enduro racing and upcoming crankworx event here in whistler. Really reliable and don't need constant servicing, my 888 and 55 has 1 service per season.
Unfortunaty racer fan boys are stuck on rockshox and fox in aus. I always love hearing the quote when I'm home "I don't want to use anything else because they don't have the support at races." When you have marzocchi you don't need support at races because they don't require servicing every 2nd run!!

stoo

Likes Dirt
Hmmmmmm, bombers. I have a chubby.
Probably won't get to test them until Sunday.
They are nice jiggers indeed.

stoo

Likes Dirt
Will do.
that weight included axle and uncut steerer, -35g with steerer cut. That's not so bad for what they are.
They're all fitted up now but I'm not going out in the rain for a test roll.
From a quick boing on the bars inside they feel bloody bonza.
The crown and lower castings are super chunky, a nice bit of engineering but the axle is much the same design as RS maxle lite ( which I hate ) but a bit more substantial. They're only $50 on CRC though if it proves to be just as shithouse.
I'll test them at 170 but will probably have to drop them to 150 as my Heckler was already a pig of a thing to climb due to high BB and high front end I think, I haven't ridden it since dropping the back with Burgtecs and raising the front by 20-25mm ( 66.5 H/A )

stoo

Likes Dirt
First ride today, they are fucking ace!!!
The Heckler feels more like a wee DH bike now, 66 degree HA, pretty high BB.
It's so much more stable at speed and handles much better on the slow tight stuff too which was a surprise. Nothing to do with how the forks function but rather the change in angles due to approx 25mm higher front end and Burgtecs dropping the rear.
At this stage I've decided not to add the spacer, 170 in the front is bonza.
I haven't played with settings yet, straight outta the box, steerer cut, let out a bit of air for some more sag, added a bit of rebound and all is good.
The whole bike just floats over the rough shit now and I can tip it into corners like never before.
Git yerself a set of these peeps, Bombers are back.........

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
smoooooooooooooooooooooooooth

where to start about Marzocchi....? I am a long time fan of Marzocchi turned hater. we are now looking to renew our vows. my current love isn't just skin deep either, it is what is inside that counts right? but damn!!! they are a sexy fork.

I purchased a set of these a few months ago after a long break from Marzocchi that was induced by wide spread failures in the last round of their forks that I owned. they replaced a set of Fox 36 float 180s on my Santa Cruz Nomad. in the (approximately) 2 months of regular riding they have had I have been stoked. their performance is awesome. they give the smooth buttery motion that was once the reason to choose Marzocchi. there isn't much that I wouldn't try these forks on, and unless I am hitting up some heavy duty DH trails (like Awaba) the Nomad remains my go to bike.

I searched far and wide before purchasing these forks and found some great deals on line (all the usual suspects), but ended up going with the LBS. this wasn't a 'support the local' thing (I support whoever supports me!) but a move to cover myself against fork failure. the LBS worked me a really sweet deal in the end, and my only problem was the long wait for the importer to have the fork. this was frustrating given I could have had it in a week from an online purchase. still patience in exchange for enough warranty to know if the fork is worth owning was a small price to pay.

in comparison to the Lyric Airs I currently have (and have had since 2011) the 55CR delivers a super smooth and superior feel in the travel. this is definitely a strong point. the Lyrics have a dead feel towards the end of compression that isn't present in the 55CR. but I feel the lyrics are stiffer and handle corners, rough terrain, drops, and jumps better. this could just be that I have had the Lyrics for so long and know them well.

my last Marzocchi possession was the 2010 55 ATA and they were total garbage. 2 rides off road and the travel adjuster died. the O/S return for warranty was more cash and effort than it was worth and a workshop fix here was quite expensive and would result in a coil fork (even more weight!). the forks remain in a box under a pile of spares looking mint. I had a few friends that had the same problem and have heard that this was a common problem for that fork. they were also ridiculously heavy for 160mm of air travel.

I also had a set of 2009 888s at the same time and wasn't pleased by their performance. lots of noise and rattles from the springs (again a common problem) that made it sound like something was broken. there was also a harsh jarring feel at the initiation of the travel. so another fail for the big M.

it was the prevalence of stories like this that turned people off Marzocchi (and also the weight). sure the forks remained bomb proof and needed practically no servicing (one of my mates still rides his 2009 888s and has only had 1 service in that time! he ignores the noises and jarring I didn't like), but what good is that if the fork doesn't work? since giving them up I have owned float, Talas, Vanilla, Totem, Lyric, Boxxxers and not had a single problem except all the servicing.

despite all this, the best feeling fork I have ever owned remains the old Monster T. I just realised i didn't put any caps in after my full stops, sorry.

bpow

Likes Dirt
Thanks pink p nice review.
I didnt think they made a 55 ata in 2010? Are you sure it wasnt a 2009? From all reports the 2010 and later models are great.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
it is always the time for clarity

2009 vs. 2010....all so long ago they are nearly retro. it could definitely be the case. I got the ATAs in 2010 to build up a totally wicked gnar-tastic sick as Eastern Slash. they were the same fork as used on the original Norco Empire 5 (which my good friend google tells me was indeed 2009). seems my hectic air time has left me a little oxygen deprived! good pick up.

now to edit my original post so I don't look stupid....

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got a review for the 2014 Marz 55R or 55CR forks?

Were there any changes from 2013 to 2014?