My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've finally fitted the Manitou ISX-6 to the Firebird using the updated carbon rocker arm. It was a bit of a battle with the bearing insert on the rocker arm having a different thread pitch to the original bolts and the correct bolts not being supplied with the updated carbon rocker, but it's working now.

Initial impressions are it sits significantly higher in it's travel compraed to the CCDB.

The trailer also worked brilliantly (about 35hrs track work over 6 days before xmas and after) and I've got another mod for it on the way, hopefully.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ISX-6 on a Pivot Firebird review

It's been a long time coming but here are my thoughts on the Manitou Evolver ISX-6 rear shock on the Firebird.

Despite having a decent number of adjustments, it's an easy shock to set up. I've got mine set up with 145psi in the main chamber, 60psi in the IFP, rebound 10 clicks in from fully open, low speed compression one click in from fully open, volume adjust at setting 1.

Riding along flat or uphill fireroads, this is a great shock. It sit's higher in it's travel than the DHX Air and CCDB do but doesn't have any problems absorbing the bumps when you hit something. Standing up and pedalling results in a reasonably firm platform feeling without too much pedal bob, again better than the DHX Air in this regard and a little better than the CCDB.

Descending, it's not as plush as the DHX Air and a fair way off the CCDB. The rebound settings took a little while to get right, but at least turning the knob two clicks makes a difference that I could feel while riding. I did this until I settled at 10 clicks in from fully open. It's mainly on squarer edge type stuff that it doesn't feel as plush. Also, sitting higher in it's travel meant that I had to get back a bit further and front end stability suffered a little. I'm sure I could overcome this with greater familiarity with the shock, however, I'm used to the CCDB and DHX Air and like the way the bike descends with them.

Riding technical stuff I found a bit more challenging with this shock. Like descending, square edge stuff is a low point for this shock. That's the same when going up or down. The CCDB is the king here for my riding.

So overall...

I'm happy with how I've got the shock set. 135psi in the main chamber is too soft so 145psi was the best setting for me. The rebound and compression settings are all good and I think the shock is working as well as it's going to work on the Firebird. I definitely prefer the plushness of the CCDB and will happily give up the pedalling efficiency the ISX-6 brings to the bike. Choosing between the ISX-6 and DHX Air I would choose the ISX-6. It sits inbetween the CCDB and DHX Air. So while I'm going to put the CCDB back on the Firebird, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three shocks. They are each a little bit different and none of them suck.

I ride the Firebird on technical stuff and like descending on it. It's my fun bike. So for the way I ride the Firebird the CCDB is the best shock for me.

I think the ISX-6 would probably be a pretty good shock to have on the Mach 5 but it's not the right dimensions.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tested out a potential new bike candidate this morning...

Liteville 301 140mm travel bike

This morning I was able to test a bike I've been considering as an upgrade from the Pivot Mach 5 I currently use as my XC bike. I'm soft and need lots of travel! So no hardtail or 100mm dually for me.

Set up was easy. A medium frame with a 75mm stem worked out to be the same length as my Mach 5 with the 90mm stem I have been running for the past year or so. Suspension set up really couldn't get any easier. The rocker arms have their own built in sag meter, two pins that match up when the sag is correct. 150mm forks, the same as my Mach 5. Sitting on the bike felt very natural straight away. Doing the carpark lift test the 301 felt considerably lighter than my M5 and I thought build quality of the frame was as good as the M5, but I would not say better.

Then we were off and riding. I was testing it at Appin, a track I'm very familiar with so I was able to compare how the 301 compared to the M5 over different sections. After the first bit of singletrack I let some air out of the rear tyre then afetr the first climb I increased the rear sag slightly. From here on it felt spot on. Not too firm and not too soft.

Into the next bit of singletrack with some sweeping turns and the 301 had the edge over the M5. It felt very nice through those turns around the top of Appin. Around the right hander that signals the end of the slightly downhill, faster turns and into the slight uphill stuff the rear end didn't have the same liveliness that the M5 had and this lack of feeling continued for the rest of my test. Over some of the more technical, square edged stuff I did notice the rear end hanging up a little, but it was significantly better than any other Horst Link bike I've ridden and it's always been a sensation I've been sensitive to because I don't like it. But on the 301 it didn't really detract from the ride that much, I could just feel it, and it's something my Pivots don't do and my old Nomad didn't either. I would say coming from my old FSR bike to the Nomad the improved compliance over square edged stuff was the single biggest improvement.

Riding down the singletrack towards the roll down/bridge the bike felt very stable. It is a stiff frame. I've never thought the M5 was flexy, but the 301 definitely felt stiffer to me. It also pops into the air easier than the M5. Standing up this bike has the least bob of any Horst Link bike I've ridden as well. That includes the good old Specialized Epic with that stupid Brain shock that hardly moves. Technical climbing it was very good, but again, it had that dead feeling. Coming down the techy stuff towards Kings Falls Bridge the 301 didn't feel as nice as the M5. Some of that could have been the rebound adjustment on the DT rear shock, but it had felt fine around everything else.

At the end of the test it was that dead feeling that did it for me. Despite being lighter than the M5 I didn't feel the 301 really inspired me to go fast. I would say it is much more of an AM bike where I want a more lively feeling XC type ride like the Mach 5. I feel the 301 would be a better replacement for my Pivot Firebird than the Mach 5 in the way it rides, but it's definitely not something I'll be doing. After all that, it is a very nice bike, and if I was going to buy a Horst Link bike this would be at the top of my list with a Knolly. But as it is, I think I'll be getting the Pivot Mach 5.7.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New road frame is in the country! Hopefully it'll be ready in the next few weeks and after seeing someone post up a build with similar colours it should look pretty good. :)

It'll also mean a wheel shuffle with the wife getting the Ultegra 6700 wheels on her OCR2 and the BMC finally getting 7850 C24 TL wheels.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My road frame, forks, seat post and stem were delivered to the shop while I was away for work. Checking it out today and the wrong length seat post has been sent. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not quite finished, but pretty close. I need to cut the steerer down but at the moment it's safer to have too much than not enough.

Frame: Moots Vamoots RSL with a larger diameter downtube and Di2 specific cable routing
Fork: Moots RSL
Wheels: Shimano Dura Ace 7900 C24 TL
Brakes and Drivetrain: Shimano 7970 Dura Ace Di2
Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace 7900
Tyres: IRC Formula Pro with X-Guard.
Stem: Moots RSL "custom" +6deg.
Handlebars: Ritchey WCS alloy
Grips: Lizard Skins to be changed for cork tape as soon as it comes in
Seat Post: Moots RSL
Seat: Fizik Arione CX
Headset: Cane Creek 110

I'll be adding King titanium cages as well.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Initial ride impressions of the Moots Vamoots RSL. I've taken it on a 20km loop I'm familiar with over typical Bargo - Pheasants Nest type roads, so not great surfaces but the type it will get ridden on.

I was a bit worried first up. The rear is very stiff; stiffer than the BMC ProMachine! A few kilometers and I was used to it though. The wheels help take a bit of the edge off and once I was settled I found it to be comfortable. The front end is also very stiff as well, again stiffer than the BMC. I never thought the BMC was all that forgiving vertically but the Moots is a bit stiffer. The steering of the Moots is also quicker, with the one degree steeper head angle being obvious. It's brilliant when riding normally or pushing it a bit, but taking a hand off the bars to relax or have a drink is a bit more work.

The IRC tyres feel significantly better than the Hutchinson Fusion 3s. They feel much more supple and grip nicely. Time will tell how they hold up tp punctures.

Di2 is fantastic. Downshifting the rear is super smooth. The front shifting is amazing both up and down. The rear is a little slower on the upshifts and I'll have to get used to one gear change at a time. If this isn't changed for the next DA Di2 version I'll be very surprised as it seems to be the only slightly negative aspect to the gears. Brake levers and hoods feel very nice.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the bike. I'm glad that it is different enough from the BMC that there are significant differences. A few more rides with a bit more fitness should see me being even more impressed. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Second ride out today. First half of the loop was the same as yesterday. Much slower though because the wife was out for a ride too, but that was okay after a day of laying bricks and paving. I was wrong about the upshifting on the rear. It's not that it's slow, it's me having to change my mindset from waiting for it to change and then clicking again. I experiemented a little and if I just click a few times it changes as soon as it can.

I adjusted the seat postion slightly after yesterdays ride and it felt even better today. I'm very happy so far and looking forward to finalising it with the right cages and cutting the steerer.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Moots is amazing! A few rides in and it is definitely better than the BMC. The steering is spot on. Descending on the way to and from Nepean and Avon Dams was much more fun and confidence inspiring on the Moots. It just goes exactly where I want, where the BMC has a little understeer and requires more effort to hold a line through a bend. Climbing is excellent. I enjoyed the climbs this morning as much as I think I'm ever going to enjoy climbing.

I'm happy with the set up now, gears all work brilliantly and I can't think of a better tyre/wheel combo for around here. I'm really looking forward to testing it out on my commute and getting a bit fitter to really put the bike through its paces.:clap2:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
King ti bottle cages fitted, new Exposure Toro light fitted, tidied up the bar tape a bit. Just need to cut the steerer. The ti cages feel lighter than the Elite carbon cages!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats on the Moots and welcome to the club.

All you need now is an MX Divide or a YBB! :)
Thanks. The YBB was the bike from Moots that got my attention back in the 90s and I've been lusting after one since. Unfortunately it probably doesn't make much sense for me to get the YBB, but a road bike is a different matter altogether. I'd still love to get a YBB though, so maybe one day. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Moots is finished, bar tape done, seat in the right position, steerer tube cut, ti bottle cages on.

And while I was in the mood I thought I'd sand the RF Atlas cranks that will be going on the new bike soon, hopefully.Maybe finished, maybe not. I'm not that picky with how the mtb stuff looks.

Last edited:

Exie

Likes Dirt
Thanks. The YBB was the bike from Moots that got my attention back in the 90s and I've been lusting after one since. Unfortunately it probably doesn't make much sense for me to get the YBB, but a road bike is a different matter altogether. I'd still love to get a YBB though, so maybe one day. :)
Fair enough, I just dont get roadies, If I'm ever allowed to go bike shopping again, I could see a Rigormootis in the shed!

I love the blue theme, looks hot! :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the blue theme, looks hot! :)
I went with the blue based soley on the wheels I was going to get, which had blue nipples. When I got them they were the older 7850 version of the wheels that are on the bike now. The current wheels have black nipple so I sort of wish I'd gone for black or red with everything else. It still looks good though.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've decided to remove black anodising from the outside of the bash ring on the Atlas cranks. I tried oven cleaner but that didn't work. I'll have to wait until I'm at work next week and try to face it on the lathe. I might go for a slight bevel and check the indexing on the headstock to see if I can use it to file the edge at regular intervals into a saw tooth shape.

If it doesn't work I'll pick up a cheap one somewhere or use the old Saint bash guard.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Nomad was a great bike for the 3 or so years I had it.mIt handled everything well. I had it built up with bits I wasn't going to break, as I've done with all of my bikes. With a CCDB and Marz 66s on it the Nomad handled jumps and drops really well. Better than I could. It was a very stable and confidence inspiring bike. A bit overbuilt for XC stuff, but I still managed to do a Dirtworks 50 and Appin 8hr using it with UST Maxxis Minions! It was also a lot of firsts for me. First use of SRAM gearing, Avid brakes, tubeless wheels/tyres and the theory that when I start snapping spokes after two years of use it's time to move on to a new bike. Broken spokes within 2 years are bad luck or bad riding, but after two years I start to think parts are wearing out. Right or wrong it's my justification for a new bike! So it was a great bike, until something better came along.