My bike diary

jhenry

Likes Bikes
Hi Grant, How are the Answer carbons 720's around appin? I'v only 660mm kforce on my bike and was looking to try the answer 720.
Awsome bikes too..

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Grant, How are the Answer carbons 720's around appin? I'v only 660mm kforce on my bike and was looking to try the answer 720.
Awsome bikes too..
They are really nice. I was surprised at how much better they felt and I was cornering right away. I changed to the 720s from some FSA carbon bars at 685mm.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put new bars on the Firebird.

Answer ProTaper carbon AM, 720mm wide. It's amazing how much difference just going from 685mm to 720mm wide bars makes. Instantly the bike felt more comfortable and my cornering improved.
I noticed the same thing, I was worried as it looks really wide, I could not believe they are wider than performance road bike bars! ... I have to say ill never be running short again, I even put 700mm bars on my commuter 29er and that even feels better.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed the same thing, I was worried as it looks really wide, I could not believe they are wider than performance road bike bars! ... I have to say ill never be running short again, I even put 700mm bars on my commuter 29er and that even feels better.
I went the opposite way on my commuter. I cut them down to 620mm, which is pretty much the minimum to fit standard lock on grips, the brake and gear levers and Spinaci bars. I ran them for a while at 710mm but it was way too much bar for the traffic and wind.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finally did the right thing by the Evil Sovereign and built it up for mtbing instead of commuting.

Frame: Evil Sovereign, small size.
Fork: Fox Float 32 150 RLC.
Wheels: Shimano XT.
Brakes: Shimano XT.
Cranks: Race Face Deus XC 22/32/44 170mm length.
Pedals: Time Z something.
Chain: SRAM.
Cassette: SRAM 990 11-34.
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR.
Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 2.25" LUST front, Maxxis Crossmark 2.1" UST rear.
Stem: Funn BoB white/yellow
Handlebars: Funn BoB white/yellow.
Grips: Oury lock-ons.
Shifters: SRAM X0.
Seat Post: Funn BoB white/yellow.
Seat: SDG Bel Air.
Headset: FSA Orbit II?.

A few things to fine tune but otherwise it's looking good. New bars are definitely on the cards because I cut them down for commuting!

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally built properly.

RF Atlas cranks 22/36/machined BR (it was easier to swap the cranks than waste time swapping chainrings), Funn BoB Fatboy bars at 715mm, Michelin Wild Grip'R rear tyre, TLD grips.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up the new commuter yesterday. Standard Merida Cyclocross 4 Disc with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, 11-25 105 cassette, old Velocity bottle cages and 105 pedals. I still have to fit a rack (the Freeload rack won't fit with the rear brake cable routing how it is set up, the guides are in the perfect place to interfere with it!); remove the flat brake levers, fit lights and the Spinaci Bars.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the Firebird and Mach 5 up for sale, to be replaced with a single 140mm travel bike.

I'm thinking either a:
• Knolly Endorphin;
• Liteville 301 mk10;
• Nicolai Helius AC Pinion; or
• Pivot Mach 5.7C.

Basic build will be XTR Trail wheels, Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti forks, XT brakes, rear derailleur, cassette, XTR cranks, chain, Time pedals, Easton Haven bars and stem, regular seat post (no dropper).

Thoughts?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decision made and frame ordered. Hopefully it'll be here around January. Some changes to the build as well, Crossmax SX wheels instead of the XTR Trails. Probably go with Answer ProTaper AM carbon bars and a Syntace P6 Hi-flex post.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty sure the January date is out now. It's proving a bit hard to get info or the frame.:pray:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay, initial ride report. It's been a little while coming due to picking the bike up on a 43degC day and then raining the following two days!

The wheels feel a bit stiffer. I always liked the 7850 and 7900 C24TL wheels for their weight, tubeless ability and comfort while not appearing to flex too much laterally. The 9000 C24TL wheels feel a bit stiffer vertically and lose a little bit of comfort because of it, but road feel isn't what I would call harsh. I like this latest version of the wheels as well.

The brakes are definitely more powerful straight out of the box. One pull on the levers to get used to it and that's all that was required. Lever feel seems slightly smoother than the 7970 levers but that could just be due to new cables. The calipers are much bulkier than the 7900 brakes and look more aggressive. I'm happy with them.

The front derailleur that felt faster on the stand wasn't noticeable on the road. The biggest thing I noticed was how much bulkier the motor appears when looking down. I'm putting this down to the colour scheme. The noise it makes when shifting sounds the same as 7970 and I always liked it! The rear derailleur shifting felt a lot faster than 7970. Single shifts were easy and I didn't accidentally multiple shift at any time today. The multiple shift function worked well on the road when playing with it, but I never got into a situation where I needed to shift multiple gears at once. At least I know it works.

I did find that the inside buckle clip on my shoes, that sometimes rub on the 7900 crank arms, rub more frequently on the 9000 cranks. They look fantastic in the flesh though.

Overall, I'm glad I jumped on the groupset straight away instead of waiting to get it 3 years later like I did with 7970.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had the commuter in it's finished state for a little while now and it is great for the morning and afternoon rides down and up the highway. It is actually just as fast to ride on the way to work, and slightly quicker on the way home, than the BMC was along the same route. I'm putting it down to the bigger tyres on the Merida being a lot more comfortable along the shocking highway shoulder surface, although I am thinking of trying 28C tyres to lose a bit of rotating mass if the 35C Marathons ever wear out!

It was lots of fun getting the mudguards to fit around the brake calipers! After all the bending and fiddling I realised I should have just added some spacers and used the longer bolts in the eyelets. :(

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Pivot Mach 5 has been built up again for the wife so I've had to take the forks and wheels from the Evil Sovereign to put on the M5, which were originally taken from the M5 anyway.

I bought some Manitou Minutes for the Evil and put the wheels from the Firebird on it after stripping the Firebird down to sell.

The Evil Sovereign as it sits now...

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been waiting 6 months and counting for the new bike. :(

In the meantime all this discussion of fatbikes has got me interested and listening to a fatbike rider talk about it on the weekend has me looking at a Salsa Beargrease. Anyone have any time on one or opinions either way.