My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wheels are in the shop, just waiting for a rear axle conversion to fit the frame that is apparently on its way!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just picked up the frame and it looks good! It's a little darker than I thought the colour was going to be but it is very nice, especially in the sunlight!

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
ooh, pretty!

if you're after green anodised bits, i've found token and KCNC to be the darkest green/closest to your frame.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to try and keep everything else silver, although I've already messed that up with the bars.

I'm not 100% on the spec yet.

Frame: Nicolai Helius AC Pinion (decals to come)
Fork: RS Revelation WC dual air
Wheels: Enve AM/DT 240
Brakes: Shimano XT or Zee or Saint 7" front and rear.
Cranks: Pinion
Pedals: Time ATAC XC6 or 8.
Chain: Shimano XTR
Tyres: Continental Trail Kings/Rubber Queens UST.
Stem: 50 or 60mm something?
Handlebars: Answer ProTaper carbon AM
Grips: Oury
Shifters: Pinion
Seat Post: something silver 31.6
Seat: SDG Ti Fly
Seat Collar: somethign silver
Headset: ZS 44/56 tapered

There are still a few things to sort out.

Last edited:

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Hey Crank,

nice frame! Tune post, clamp and stem in silver could all look really nice on this bike, all cnc... ;-)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate.

I went a bit boring and decided on a Thomson 50mm stem and seatpost in silver, and a Salsa liplock seat collar in silver as well. Cane Creek 110 headset, silver as well. I had some green Oury grips lying around too.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nearly ready. It just needs some pedals, frame decals and top headset to match the bottom. The seat obviously isn't set quite right either.

Last edited:

mr626

Likes Bikes
Nearly ready. It just needs some pedals, frame decals and top headset to match the bottom. The seat obviously isn't set quite right either.

Looks good. I really like green as a frame colour too.

Have you had the Continentals before? I wouldn't mind trying some 2.4 mountain kings at some point.

Looks like Kerry and the Phantom guys are taking care of the build? They are a good bunch down there. Although my recent Sanderson SS build is only worth a fraction of yours Kerry was still happy to spend plenty of time with me answering my stupid questions, and look after me with my frame and wheelset in particular.

On the (very unlinkely chance) that you want some Gusset decals shoot me a PM- I've got a few spare.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running the Conti RQ/TK since they came out pretty much. I still have a 2.4" UST RQ sitting in the garage but it's a bit big for this bike I think. I've been getting my stuff and maintenance/builds done by Kerry and Bert (and Ben and Adam and I think it was Russ before that) for a long time now, nearly 15 years. They always do great stuff.

I was hoping for a lighter green, but this one has come up nicely. I used the Nicolai colour configurator to get this set up. A little different to what I received.

Last edited:

mr626

Likes Bikes
Yup Phantom has been around for ages- a testament to the work they do I think.

Personally, I think the darker green you ended up with looks great anyway.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finally got out for a ride on the Nicolai today. A few things to sort out. Bar position isn't quite right and the seat was a bit low but it pedaled nicely. I think the Pinion gearbox is a big step forward for gears as well.:high5: I might have to play with the cable tension a little bit. The wheels have a great enough increase in stiffness compared to the Crossmax SX and XTR Trails I have on other bikes that I can feel it. The brakes work very nicely. The rear tyre has a wobble in it but at least it's the tyre and not the rim!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the decals on, seat set, bars rolled forward a bit after the first ride this morning. Still need the proper headset top half.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm getting used to the shifting of the Pinion gearbox and really enjoying the bike. Gearboxes have to be the way forward for gears.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I'm getting used to the shifting of the Pinion gearbox and really enjoying the bike. Gearboxes have to be the way forward for gears.
Is the shifting action very subtle like with a Shimano internal geared hub? Also what sort of maintenance does it need?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the shifting action very subtle like with a Shimano internal geared hub? Also what sort of maintenance does it need?
Changes are very smooth and quiet. It can be hard to tell you've actually changed with the consistent 11.5% jump between gears. It needs an oil change every 10k km or each year.

I've offered it to a magazine to test so I'll post up my thoughts after they've run the test and see how they compare.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
frame stickers make it look complete, match perfectly with the silver too.
i cant help but think black lowers would look nicer though.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
frame stickers make it look complete, match perfectly with the silver too.
i cant help but think black lowers would look nicer though.
I was thinking that about the forks. I might switch to a set of Pikes or Devilles in black and 20mm axle to stiffen things up a bit.