My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the Scott set up for commuting, the perfect use for a 29er! Unfortunately the rear hub i slipping a b so I'll have get that sorted.

And the group shot. The Giant flat bar roadie isn't in the shot.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rohloff vs Pinion - a quick comparison

I've had the Nicolai with the Pinion gearbox for a while now and I've put a few kilometers on the Rohloff equipped Scott Scale as well, so I think I can make a decent comparison of the two systems.

Build quality wise they are both very well made systems. The Rohloff hub looks fantastic and of high quality. The Pinion gearbox is the same. I think the Pinion shift looks a little better and it also feels better in the hand. There are more parts to be made with the Pinion system because it includes the cranks, chainring and rear cog. Mine are the CNC'd cranks, although I would prefer the forged versions. They don't feel like they give anything up in stiffness compared to XTR cranks and are still looking good. The chainring and cog are working well.

The shifting action is slightly different on both set ups. With the Pinion I can change to a harder gear (or multiple harder gears) under load by twisting the shifter, but to change to an easier gear (or multiple gears) I have to back off for a split second. My legs are the clutch for the gearbox in this situation. With the Rohloff I have to back off slightly for all shifts. While I have the Scott Scale with the Rohloff set up for commuting I think this, road and touring are the perfect style of riding for the Rohloff. The Rohloff also isn't as precise to get into gear as the Pinion is, but the Rohloff did have about 14k km on it when I got it where the Pinion gearbox was new.

Whether it is just the noise in the bottom 7 gears or actual drag, there is a lot of perceived drag in those gears on the Rohloff. On the Pinion there is a clicking noise in 7th and a lesser amount in 11th (I think) that also make it feel like there is some drag. Overall though, the Pinion feels a lot smoother and nicer to shift gears.

One of the biggest differences is in the weight distribution. Even on the commuter I can feel the extra weight on the back wheel. The Pinion gearbox, while making the overall weight of the bike heavier, doesn't seem to affect the bike handling.

I think the Pinion is the better product overall and is better suited for mtbing, but the Rohloff is a great product and suits road/touring/commuting just as well. I wouldn't mind a Pinion equipped commuter though.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since trying the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Durano Plus tyres on the commuters I've had one puncture with the Marathons and 3 with the Duranos (in one day). I've had a go at setting the Duranos up ghetto tubeless and it seems to have worked out so a ride will tell the full story.

ChopSticks

Banned
absolutely rad Grant !!!!

any special mods to get that trailer up n running?
Will I see you and this rig at the Oakes on the 25th May?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's just a Bob Ibex that I've made some racks up for to hold the tools. They are a great trailer and make riding a familiar trail a new experience.

I'm not sure about The Oaks work days. There's only so much I can fit in. :)

The pics so far look good though.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've picked up at RS Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock for the Liteville from Phantom Cycles. Now to buy or machine up some spacers.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I decided to fit the 1x10 stuff to the hardtail. I'll see how it goes with a regular non-clutch derailleur and a standard Renthal chainring. If I start dropping chains I'll look at a narrow/wide chainring and XT clutch derailleur.

The LBS pushed in the new needle bearing bushes in the RS Monarch Plus shock for me and then I chucked it onto the Liteville. It'll take a little sorting out i think. It definitely feels nicer than the DT shock. The Revelations WCs are back on until the 44s are serviced.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tested the Monarch shock on the Liteville today at Kinross. Straight away I slowed the rebound down 3 clicks from the factory setting. I had to add more air as well. I don't know how accurate the RS sag markings are on the shocks but the Liteville has a built in sag indicator that equaks about 25% on the Monarch when running in the enduro position.

The ride was nice. Small bump compliance was a little better but pedalling was as good as before. Still better than the old Pivot Mach 5. the rear was a little unbalanced with the forks and I need to drop a few psi in the forks, but it should be a good balance when the 44s go back on.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The 44s are back on after being serviced and are feeling much better. The RS Monarch Plus feels better running less sag on the 301. It is much more balanced with the 44s compared to the Revelations. The front guard seems to be working okay but I can hear every rock that gets caught in the tyre tread scrape along the underside of the guard.

I'm not convinced about the uselfulness of the dropper post. I use it very rarely and when I do it's usually just because I feel like I have it so I should use it, not because it's really offering any advantage. I've never had any issues moving around on the bike and like being able to grip the seat between my legs to help steer it around stuff. Dropping the seat makes it feel too low for me to do this comfortably. They look cool and add some weight though.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had my first issue with the Pinion gearbox the other day. the chain tensioner seemed to let the chain slip a few links through the jockey wheels. It turned out the bolt that the spring fits into had been hit by one rock too many and snapped a few of the holes off. It was a fairly easy fix on the trail and when i got home i found the bolt is made with a square shoulder allowing it to be rotated if it gets damaged. 5 minutes later and it was all fixed. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate bought a Moots saddlebag for his bike and one for mine too. It's a little bigger than the Vaude bag it replaced and a lot more reflective.

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
I had my first issue with the Pinion gearbox the other day. the chain tensioner seemed to let the chain slip a few links through the jockey wheels. It turned out the bolt that the spring fits into had been hit by one rock too many and snapped a few of the holes off. It was a fairly easy fix on the trail and when i got home i found the bolt is made with a square shoulder allowing it to be rotated if it gets damaged. 5 minutes later and it was all fixed. :)
easy to fix by design, or just dumb luck?

radioinactiv

Cannon Fodder
that 301 is epic. its the first i've seen with a piggyback also. what does it weigh in at? in my opinion, liteville/syntace make the best quality components/frames in the industry.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that 301 is epic. its the first i've seen with a piggyback also. what does it weigh in at? in my opinion, liteville/syntace make the best quality components/frames in the industry.
I don't know the weight. I'll see about getting it weighed next time it's at the lbs.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few little changes to some bikes...

A Michelin Wild Grip'r fitted to the Liteville after gambling on the Ardent lasting another week and losing with three punctures in one ride.

Adjusted the tensioner on the Nicolai after not having enough tension in it after damaging the spring shaft a little while ago. Dropped the chain 3 times yesterday. Much better now.

Swapped the tyres around between the roadies. The Hutchinson Intensives are now on the BMC. Worst tyres I've used in a long time but they seem to take a long time wearing out. :(

IRC Formula Pro X-guard tyres back on the Moots. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I fitted the chain guide to the Evil after dropping the chain on the last ride.

I also pulled the 44s apart on the Liteville. After their last service I was a bit unhappy with the lack of damping. It turns out the 2011 oil levels were used, not the 2012 levels. They feel much better now with the correct amount of 10W in them.