New? Feel free to say g'day here.

love the burn

hello rotorburn-ers

I'm a Leo who likes long walks by the beach, preferably by the moon light, candle light dinners and anything by Boys to Men. Coincidently, I also been bitten by the biking bug. Bad.

It hit me about around the beginning of summer '09. I was lent a Giant 'Yukon' bike by my friend who had upgraded to a specialized Endro all mountain bike, the bastard. Even with multiple falls each session of riding, and my first attempt at Ourimba resulting in a split knee after landing knee first onto a rock within the first 100 meters, I was undeterred. My spirit would not be broken. After some 10months riding that puppy, with the scars to prove it, only taking a break to spend 3 months traversing the bars of Mexico and Cuba, and sampling British Columbia's finest herbs, my interested peak further upon meeting a guy who had spend the past 3 years living at Whistler, riding. MFW i thought to myself, watching the videos he'd taken of the whistler bike park (the only whistler ones on youtube last time i checked). I resolved to take the next step and buy myself a bike of my own... blah blah blah blah blah Cube XMS 2009, poor uni student, blah blah blah blah....spent way too much money....blah blah blah...the costs never end.........blah blah blah.... Mt Buller Rapid Descent........see you there.

also xc is my drug of choice, but given a better rig I'd be willing to throw myself at anything, at least twice.

love the burn!

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

Just started riding recently actually. I get these impulses to do long endurance events without training (eg 1500m offshore swim and im not really a swimmer) kinda get some satisfaction from knowing I kept up with people even though thats not my area of sport. Anyway I decided to go in the 70km MTB race up at walcha. Thought id better buy a good bike to do it with, was thinking of getting just a cheapo thing but soon realised wasn't going to be any better then what I already had. So I bought a 2011 Felt q820, loved the look, super light. Started to find tracks around Newcastle and within riding about 50m of awaba I was hooked. Started travelling 30mins every single day just to ride these tracks.

Not long after I found the downhill tracks and naturally thI wanted to try. So I decided to buy a commencal supreme which looked like it would do the job without being $10k worth of bike. Turns out this bike is exactly what I wanted and I will never be able to exceed the capabilities of this bike lol.

I come from a background of a lot of snowboarding, wakeboarding, bodyboarding etc and I reckon mountain bike riding is absolutely epic. So glad Ive gotten into it, and really didnt know there was so many tracks around and so many people into mtbing!

Hi all,

Well the end is in sight for my hardtail bike build after almost 2 years of scrounging parts. The forks should arrive next week and I can start putting it together, and then finally regain some credibility from my mates who keep saying "have you built that bike yet?", among other things. If I had found this forum 2 years ago I would probably have been up and going by now.

I haven't been properly off-road since I was a kid, when I used to race around the local Council bushland on my hand-me-down 24" road bike (and later on a 27") against my mates on their bmx's. I used to win more often than not, but I think that was because my mates weren't very good. It was a blast doing log jumps and launching over an embankment (on a borrowed bmx not my road bike).

So all going well I'll be hitting some Brissie trails in March and eventually, see if I have the skills (or the balls) to try out some DH. If I get to that stage I think I'll just buy a DH bike - no more 2 year builds for me.

Maybe I'll see some of you around soon. Lookout for a noob on a Kula.

nsdirt

Squid
hi people

im luke im 16,i ride bmx but buying a dj bike (ns metropolis 1) i live in sydney my hobbies are riding ,sailing and fixing stuff whenever possiple. would like to get to know other dj riders when i get my bike and find some places to ride

Howdy from Coldville.

G'day Palerider here, the newbie. Still can't trade, but happy to read and search for now. I'm an old man who has never driven, and always used a bike for transport.
Just bought a TREK 7.3 FX. I pick it up next Monday, and can't wait. I've always ridden a mountain bike, because of where I live, but now I want a roadie for town riding, and staying fit.
Feel free to say Hello, but don't send any used underwear please, I'm not a teen Idol and I hate washing.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
G'day Palerider here, the newbie. Still can't trade, but happy to read and search for now. I'm an old man who has never driven, and always used a bike for transport.
Just bought a TREK 7.3 FX. I pick it up next Monday, and can't wait. I've always ridden a mountain bike, because of where I live, but now I want a roadie for town riding, and staying fit.
Feel free to say Hello, but don't send any used underwear please, I'm not a teen Idol and I hate washing.
Welcome aboard palerider!
Like you, I also have never driven... 34 years and I am still content with a bike :)
Always good to see new 'burners.
Good choice on the 7.3 too, a great tarmac machine.

Keep rollin'

sdmccoy

Cannon Fodder
newbie!

g'day mates. I'm attending USYD and was talking to the VP of the bike society. He informed me to join this forum and hopefully meet some new riders. I've been riding for a years, done some downhill at whistler mtn in BC (an absolute blast). I currently have a IH 6.4 back home but didnt think of shipping it out. Hopefully i can befriend some riding buddies on here to show me around and maybe pick up a bike.

Im living near USYD and have no idea where to mtn bike at, time to search the forums!

Anyone know of bike rental places?

Cheers!
Scott

Welcome aboard palerider!
Like you, I also have never driven... 34 years and I am still content with a bike :)
Always good to see new 'burners.
Good choice on the 7.3 too, a great tarmac machine.

Keep rollin'
It's the way to go. my whole family were car free. Thanks for the confidence about the 7.3. There is such a choice, but I didn't want a Giant. It seems everyone has one.
Thanks for the welcome as well. Cheers, Paley.. xx

Beemer

Squid
Cool Ahh, G'day

I just signed up.
Wot's going on here then?

Eh?
Me?

Well I recently got a new bike for my birthday so my enthusiasm is high, it's a Mongoose Tyax Super (last years model at a good runout price) with Hydro brakes remote fork lockout, nice shiny black paint on the ally frame etc, etc...

I have had MTBs since the early days 20-30 years ago, always had one to keep my bike fitness up when I cant get out on the moto.
Motos are my real passion, I have been riding enduro style (non comp) for quite a few years now and did trials comp for many years before that.
Current moto is a BMW G450X still the best bike there is but certainly not the cheapest - you only get what you pay for

Anyway that's enough about me for now, any social rides or easy comps happening on the Central Coast?
Do I need a licence to do comp?

Yakooza

Squid
Gday :D

Hey Guys and Girls .. Im yakooza..

Been off and on Bikes for a while and havent had the time of day to think about something fun until recently , I bought a bike a few days ago and im starting to get back into the swing of it ..

I purchased a 2010 Fuji Nevada 4.0 , thought it might be a good Entry level bike , so ill see how that holds up .. Im in Langwarrin in South East Victoria , but im keen to go and watch some events or take any Tips , Tricks or Help you wanna throw at me !

Anyway , Cheers ..IMG_0707.jpgIMG_0704.jpg

Danny B

Likes Dirt
New Melbourne XC rider

Hey All,

Another recent convert to MTB. Been riding fixed gear on the road for a few years now. But after riding a dually with the bro over in Wellington - Makara Peak to those who know Welly - I got the bug bad.

I got myself a Jamis Dragon Comp (steel frame hardtail) off the "the Bay" and have been riding the Yarra Trails for the past month. Having a blast but am finding the singletrack a tad limited and the 'No Bikes' signs an annoyance... So I'm keen to go riding something more challenging. I hear that YouYangs and Listerfield are closed for track repairs ATM, and I'm told that I should check out Wombat. But really I'm open to suggestions.

I'm super keen to meet some folks to go do rides with. Anyone who's going for a ride one weekend in the greater Melbourne area and is okay with me tagging along should flick me a PM - I can also do Fridays. (I'd describe my riding level as 'intermediate' - I'm confident on the bike but still have things to learn. Fitness - moderate). Also If anyone can recommend me a good club for my area that'd be appreciated too.

About me:
30, living in Richmond, currently riding XC singletrack and the odd longer gravel ride, and have plans to do some multi-day bikepacking at some stage down the track.

yanikins

Cannon Fodder
Hello boys and girls.

Gold Coast Noob. Got myself an Alias I hope lasts more than a month. Any pointers and noob friendly locations would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Dan_Alexander

Likes Bikes
DH/Road rider living in Hawthorn, Swinburne, Melbourne

Hey I'm Dan, I'm a 2nd year Civil Engineering student living in Hawthorn, Resident Advisor of my uni apartments at Swinburne with a passion for Downhilling.

Rides: 09 Giant Glory DH1 with Chromac wide bars, reliable bike. 09 Giant TCR road bike

Recent ride spots; Dandenong, Maldon and hopefully riding round 5 at Baw Baw next weekend. Hopefully joining or creating a club around the hawthorn area for road rides and DH sessions.

Aerosmith

Likes Bikes
Gday

New to MTB with a GF HiFi Deluxe.
Great fun, moved over from Enduro dirtbikes, it's a lot harder with no engine but I'm finding it a great deal more satisfying doing the work.

Cheers

commanderkeen

Likes Bikes
Hi all

I'm currently a 4th year civil engineering student and have just recently gotten into mountain biking.

I purchased a heavily used 2010 Merida trail tfs 100d earlier this year and have been hitting the loftus oval trail about twice a week :)

DH - Rookie

Likes Bikes
Brisbane All Mountain Rider

I ride almost everyday if I'm not hurt or not raining hard. I try to ride my ravaged Scott 'Challenger' all mountain style but without a chainguide the chain fell off and one time recently it came off and I thought, 'Ill just keep going since the end was close,' but I couldnt clear a tree and hit the bars pretty hard. Havent broken any bones yet.

Kinzee

Squid
Hey, just getting into DH riding, bought my first bike a Kona Downhill operator off rotorburn member Slezoj. Its a fantastic bike to ride and was well looked after my slez, and now me :). Im in the Ivanhoe area and im just practicing my skills in the tracks around yarra bend park, just little dh tracks that havent been owned my the council. Yeah so if you ever want a riding buddy send as a pm and we can hit up the trails

cheers Adrian

Krausey

Cannon Fodder
Name is Josh and I'm new to mountain biking. By new I mean, I have a bike (Giant Boulder 1), but haven't even taken it off the road yet. Live in Tassie and am keen to suss out other members that have good knowledge of areas in which I can get started!

Henry Risson

Cannon Fodder
the hilbilly

hey i'm henry i'm14 and ride bmx i'm looking 4 a change so am trying out a hardtail 4 size let y'all know how i go anyone know of some descent places to ride around albury or wagga?