Newly Released Bikes General

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No. I think it’s mullet or 29. Jackal is 26” jump bike.
Thought so (without looking at the website)

Bronson and 5010 now mullet... I have never ridden and never really bought in to different wheel sizes on the same bike.

I can understand mulleting a 27.5 to slacken and whatever else but dropping full 27.5 bikes only seems like a precursor to full 29 across the range.

Would have thought they would have kept one full 27.5 then dropped it completely.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
You can still get the V10 in 27.5
So it is. From their website:

Because there’s so many flavours and needs we offer the V10 in 27.5 (front and rear) in the smallest size up to a size large, both 29-inch (front and rear) and mixed in medium and large frame sizes, and 29-inch only for the XL frame size. So your V10 is optimized for who you are.

ozzybmx

You can still get the V10 in 27.5
Cheers ! Was kind of referring to their general MTB's excluding DH and DJ.

Dont know what they are going to do with them all in a year or so when the general range will all probably be 29". A few of them will double up.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Because there’s so many flavours and needs we offer the V10 in 27.5 (front and rear) in the smallest size up to a size large, both 29-inch (front and rear) and mixed in medium and large frame sizes, and 29-inch only for the XL frame size. So your V10 is optimized for who you are.
That's an interesting idea. WHY WOULDN'T THEY DO THAT FOR THE REST OF THEIR RANGE.

WTF is Santa Cruz doing offering three different mullet bikes. I want to try what they're on.

shiny

That's an interesting idea. WHY WOULDN'T THEY DO THAT FOR THE REST OF THEIR RANGE.

WTF is Santa Cruz doing offering three different mullet bikes. I want to try what they're on.
Yeah, so much overlap between their bikes. 5010 is 130 and Bronson is 150. Can’t see much difference between the two apart from the 20mm rear travel. Presume would ride the same so wouldnt you buy the one with a touch more travel? Maybe offer a linkage that allows travel to be tweaked. Dunno, they seem to sell their bikes so what do I know.

ozzybmx

Yeah, so much overlap between their bikes. 5010 is 130 and Bronson is 150. Can’t see much difference between the two apart from the 20mm rear travel. Presume would ride the same so wouldnt you buy the one with a touch more travel? Maybe offer a linkage that allows travel to be tweaked. Dunno, they seem to sell their bikes so what do I know.
A visit to the website...

Megatower is 170mm 29 -165mm 29

Nomad is 170mm 29 - 170mm 27.5

The rest of them step down in 10mm increments.

Bronson 160 29 -150 27.5
Hightower 150 29 -145 29
5010 140 29 -130 27.5
Tallboy 130 29 -120 29

Its a good step down range but is there really a market for them in 29 only.

The Tallboy is a fuckin awesome bike and can probably do 95% of the the Bronson's DH duties with so much better trail and climbing abilities.

shiny

A visit to the website...

Megatower is 170mm 29 -165mm 29

Nomad is 170mm 29 - 170mm 27.5

The rest of them step down in 10mm increments.

Bronson 160 29 -150 27.5
Hightower 150 29 -145 29
5010 140 29 -130 27.5
Tallboy 130 29 -120 29

Its a good step down range but is there really a market for them in 29 only.

The Tallboy is a fuckin awesome bike and can probably do 95% of the the Bronson's DH duties with so much better trail and climbing abilities.
A few of my brothers friends who are big Santa Cruz fans have moved to Tallboys for Adelaide riding and have high praise for it. Would you go a Tallboy if you didn’t have the Spur?

ozzybmx

A few of my brothers friends who are big Santa Cruz fans have moved to Tallboys for Adelaide riding and have high praise for it. Would you go a Tallboy if you didn’t have the Spur?
Absolutely, I have ridden one and its basically a short travel enduro bike like the Spur.

Same as my Spur, I wouldn't like it for shuttle days but for any riding apart from shuttles or DH runs, It would be 100%... though would be fine for those if you didn't want to do big jumps or drops.

Its probably the nicest bike that Santa Cruz currently does IMO over any other competition in other genres.

ozzybmx

I would add, probably bigger 'trail' than my Spur.

Wouldnt be as easy to make it an XC level bike. Would be ok for us hackers but its a beefier bike now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Its probably the nicest bike that Santa Cruz currently does IMO over any other competition in other genres.
The Tallboy is a great bike and picks up speed really quickly. I had one as a hire bike. Couldn't really go wrong with it. I just couldn't get myself into a 29er wheel at that time. It did feel a bit gyroscopey up front for the uninitiated like me but any 29er owner would be used to it.

The 150mm Hightower would also be worth a look if it can also pedal uphill reasonably well.

Apparently, a 210x55 shock on my 5010 v3 will give 143mm travel without any linkage magic. I would suspect/guess that the Tallboy from the same era might be able to do the same.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have very found memories of 2016 and seeing the newly released, vibrant green Trek Fuel Ex (120/130) all over the trails where it was billed as a brilliant all-round trail bike.

It's now 140/150 with geometry on par with my Altitude in it's aggressive setting!
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/fuel-ex/

Butt ugly, but actually looks like a well thought out bike that should suit a lot of riders
Yeah, it seems to be leaning more towards the aggressive geometry end of the scale for a trail bike (IMO), but bloody hell the adjustability is impressive.

Ride height/geo tweak chip, leverage progression adjust chip, straight or (factory) +1/-1 angled headset cups, 29er or mullet, and all mashed into one bike. No stupid linkages with 176 different bearings. It really will be a bike fit for most riders.

The Vital "first-ride" review is staggeringly comprehensive also:

Shame it's ugly really... :p

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Yeah, it seems to be leaning more towards the aggressive geometry end of the scale for a trail bike (IMO), but bloody hell the adjustability is impressive.

Ride height/geo tweak chip, leverage progression adjust chip, straight or (factory) +1/-1 angled headset cups, 29er or mullet, and all mashed into one bike. No stupid linkages with 176 different bearings. It really will be a bike fit for most riders.

The Vital "first-ride" review is staggeringly comprehensive also:

Shame it's ugly really... :p
Looks like a Sess....GT