Newly Released Suspension & Components General

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks all, I must admit I didn't even consider composites, was only looking at alloy.
I do like the look of the deity deftraps and seem a reasonable weight and price too. Will take a closer look at some of the other recommended composites as well :)
These are probably a better fit for me as a trail rider, don't think I need super heavy DH pedals.
Cheers
Composite aren’t necessarily lighter. I like that you can scratch them up and it doesn’t show.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Looks like the work experience kid put the fork together backwards and they just went with it
Ha, this is even better, freewheel in cranks so you still shift without pedalling. You need to lock the cassette for it to work. The solution a zip tie between spokes and cassette! Boom...

moorey

call me Mia
Looks like the work experience kid put the fork together backwards and they just went with it
I’ve never felt an inverted fork that didn’t have heaps of twist flex. Granted it’s been a while, but lack of arch surely means it’s still an issue?

SummitFever

Eats Squid

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Might have to move to another thread, but as a flats noob, what should I be looking at? I've had a look at what everyone is running in the pyr threads. Quiet the selection lol
...what size is your foot? Is it wide or narrow?

Personal preference is going to come into it as well.

Must have is:
  • replaceable pins
  • sealed bearings or quality bushing system
  • good surface area relevant to your foot shape.

Personal preferences include:
  • concave vs convex
  • number of pins
  • shape (I like the square-ish)
  • profile depth (how slim?)
  • distance between platform and crank arm (this might impact Q factor)
  • colour

Mons has gone a bit blank.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I run a few sets of their composites. Prefer them to the alloys, but my mate disagrees. That's for trail use though. I never run composites for gravity days or racing.
What brought that on? I'm running composites on all my bikes. Oh wait I bent one recently...anyway I am all about longevity at the moment.

moorey

call me Mia
What brought that on? I'm running composites on all my bikes. Oh wait I bent one recently...anyway I am all about longevity at the moment.
I don’t understand the question.
You’re talking about $25 eBay pedals you bent. That was irrelevant of pedal body material.
I was talking about NP pedals particularly.
My racing and gravity preference for an alloy pedal is more about my preference for DMR vaults and the big pins I run in them. I’ll likely try v11’s next and probably race on them.
Felix races composites for enduro. Burgtec m4’s. A fine pedal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don’t understand the question.
You’re talking about $25 eBay pedals you bent. That was irrelevant of pedal body material.
I was talking about NP pedals particularly.
My racing and gravity preference for an alloy pedal is more about my preference for DMR vaults and the big pins I run in them. I’ll likely try v11’s next and probably race on them.
Felix races composites for enduro. Burgtec m4’s. A fine pedal.
Nah, I've got the nukeproof neutrons on most of my bikes and blackspire nylotrax on another. I'd love more of the blackspire they are a very comfortable pedal, but supply issues. The rock bros were a moment of curiosity because they were cheap and have a reasonably large platform.

the longer version of the question might be, you were a vocal advocate of fantastic plastic pedals for quite a while, is there any particular reason (like repeated failure of pedal integrity) that you have moved away from the plastic?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Wrong thread but #1 for Burgtecs. The metal ones are grippy, comfortable, well made and completely indestructible.

The newer Mk5s have a bit of a wider platform too if that's your jam.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...what size is your foot? Is it wide or narrow?

Personal preference is going to come into it as well.

Must have is:
  • replaceable pins
  • sealed bearings or quality bushing system
  • good surface area relevant to your foot shape.
Personal preferences include:
  • concave vs convex
  • number of pins
  • shape (I like the square-ish)
  • profile depth (how slim?)
  • distance between platform and crank arm (this might impact Q factor)
  • colour
Mons has gone a bit blank.
I'm only a US 11 so most of the common options will be fine. I am a little worried about pedal strike, being used to SPD's