Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
its interesting that Glencore announce a wind down of production roughly about the same time that they realised that they can't get the coal out of the ground or transport it anywhere in FNQ after the massive storms!
roads and rail link out of action for up to 6 months, and Abbot Point is also off air for export
but share holders will believe anything

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok then. One example. Aeroplanes. What solution have we got for zero CO2 emission plane travel?
Ethanol or equivalent.

As much as I am a greenie. I'm with gates too. The problem is too many people. My view on this is the 100% renwable target is an artificial construct. We are much better off targeting a more cost effective level, say 80%, and then focusing on non stationary energy emissions. In particular I think reforestation is commonly overlooked.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
too many people with too many things that use electrical energy (mostly for comfort and entertainment).
most people don't really want to think about the prospect of a much hotter climate or energy rationing, but who is going to take the first step and do something about it
its a shit scenario, but one I think we are not ready or able to address in the current time..but we are getting closer

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ok then. One example. Aeroplanes. What solution have we got for zero CO2 emission plane travel?
None. Nothing has the energy density needed... Air travel will require offsets. This is manageable if everything else is in order.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Name an offset.

Bzzzzt.

There is no such thing.

Again, the chart:

Where does plane travel sit?

Those who advocate biofuels for plane travel...you might be able to fuel a fraction of aeroplanes flying today with biofuels. And biofuels are not CO2 neutral anyway.

Anyone viewed that link yet? We are in the shit.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

“This target is not sufficient to protect the future for children growing up today. If the EU is to make its fair contribution to stay within the carbon budget for the 2C limit then it needs a minimum of 80% reduction by 2030, and that includes aviation and shipping.”
More like 100% alongside negative emission technology, but she's certainly speaking the truth.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Name an offset.

Bzzzzt.

There is no such thing.

Again, the chart:

Those who advocate biofuels for plane travel...you might be able to fuel a fraction of aeroplanes flying today with biofuels. And biofuels are not CO2 neutral anyway.

Anyone viewed that link yet? We are in the shit.
Farmed algae in shallow saline pools.

Biochar, and with enough power you could literally create diamonds.

Fast growing bamboo products.

Low till farming.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Name an offset.

There is no such thing.
I'd agree most offsets on the market today are 100% complete bulldust. But real offsets can exist. I would classify re plantation as a form of positive offset. I'd stick sequestration in there as well (still unsure of input/output though). However the point I think you are making is these opportunities are a drop in the ocean and limited in nature.

Same as above. I'd have to look at input/output costs but my observation is it can be done. The bigger problem is you can't grow enough to supply the whole sector. We have to cut air travel to make it work.

Haakon

I'm still rooting for an antibiotic resistant plague... Its really the only hope.

But really, its just the next big extinction event. The planet will be fine, life will endure and will come out with all sorts of funky new things in the next few million years after the big reset.

Who knows, maybe the next sentient species to come along will find enough evidence of us to avoid the same mistakes.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@Calvin27's mention of reforestation reminded me of an article I saw on FB recently, being a lecture given by Patrick Moore (former head of Greenpeace) to to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in London. Just putting out there as an 'interesting read' and not as any representation of my own beliefs on climate change.

Moore provides some insight into CO2 based on a far broader period of time, and it certainly challenges the current popular perspective: “Human emissions of carbon dioxide have saved life on Earth from inevitable starvation and extinction due to lack of CO2”.

Haakon

@Calvin27's mention of reforestation reminded me of an article I saw on FB recently, being a lecture given by Patrick Moore (former head of Greenpeace) to to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in London. Just putting out there as an 'interesting read' and not as any representation of my own beliefs on climate change.

Moore provides some insight into CO2 based on a far broader period of time, and it certainly challenges the current popular perspective: “Human emissions of carbon dioxide have saved life on Earth from inevitable starvation and extinction due to lack of CO2”.
FFS... I've tried to understand many times how the contrary mindset works. Its a common thread in modern media, "controversial" somehow equals "independent thinking" that somehow equals "I know better than a few thousand people who spend their careers working on it".

Its annoying, and its actively counterproductive....

Nambra

FFS... I've tried to understand many times how the contrary mindset works. Its a common thread in modern media, "controversial" somehow equals "independent thinking" that somehow equals "I know better than a few thousand people who spend their careers working on it".

Its annoying, and its actively counterproductive....
If you're referring to my posting a "controversial" article, don't waste your time - as I said, the article doesn't reflect my own beliefs. If it's Moore's contrary mindset you're critical of then knock yourself out, healthy debate is good.

Haakon

If you're referring to my posting a "controversial" article, don't waste your time - as I said, the article doesn't reflect my own beliefs. If it's Moore's contrary mindset you're critical of then knock yourself out, healthy debate is good.
No no, I noted your qualification ;) Just a general comment about "sceptics" at large.

Nambra

Fair enough. I found the early history of the Greenpeace movement in his article more interesting to be honest, along with the reasons why he quit.