Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Our current way of life is fucking stupid. It has to stop.
Agreed - and your photo is a perfect example. But please stop shitting on the conversation every time people are talking about the things they’re trying to do individually. No one was suggesting that double glazing is the solution to CC - you don’t have to come in and shut down the conversation.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No, read the story. That's mitigation, adaptation is adding double glazing.

But really - we will double glaze these shit boxes as a way of fixing the problem?

Our current way of life is fucking stupid. It has to stop.
Unfortunately its the lower education groups in society which dictate this eg tradies, bogan building companies and unimaginative owners.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Agreed - and your photo is a perfect example. But please stop shitting on the conversation every time people are talking about the things they’re trying to do individually. No one was suggesting that double glazing is the solution to CC - you don’t have to come in and shut down the conversation.
Don't let me shut anything down. Also, I have a right to say something.

I installed Veridian Smart Glass & double glazing on all windows of my house plus left one normal glazed for winter sun.

But I guess that's just an intelligent approach. Anyone who needs double glazing should do it!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There hasn't been a house built in the UK in the last 30-35yrs that didnt have at least double glazing.

I cant understand why it's not the standard for windows in this country, the more popular it is, the cheaper it becomes. The premium to upgrade a new homes windows from standard to double glazing is scandalous.
Just imagine of the government threw the same sort of subsidies at it as they do at coal mining!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It will be 50°C in the Turbine hall, not a good day to have blokes running around unnecessarily.

Besides, we are a fair bit cleaner than all other states in Aus apart from Tassie.

No coal in SA.

View attachment 371636
WA recently had it's first day when renewables provided more power than Fossil Fuels. You would think the government would make a bigger deal of it but I didn't see anything in the press.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
WA recently had it's first day when renewables provided more power than Fossil Fuels. You would think the government would make a bigger deal of it but I didn't see anything in the press.
You guys should be killing this...between all your wind, all your coastline, and all your heat surely you'd be left wanting nothing! I don't recall seeing a lot of solar panels on houses when I was over there.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Parts of Wodonga are really bad.
The full dumbness on display no trees or shade, no eaves or veranda ,dark rooves , windows facing the wrong way, dark cars ,lots of bitumen , aircon on full blast.
5 star rating !!!
I can't believe the things some developers get away with with these new subdivisions around town; and then the absolute crap that gets built on them, and it fills the entire block. A newly filled estate is basically 80% black colorbond, bitumen or other hardstand, by the time you factor in the enormous roof footprints of these mega-houses, but it's OK because they all have 2000L water tanks installed...
Truth be told, I often feel guilty about the part I play in making all this development possible standing behind a theodolite.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah the ugly one near Baranduda kiewa Highway corner.
there was a huge block of mature redgums so the developer took the decision to bulldoze them without permission knowing the fine would be less than the costs of building around them and that the bogans that build there would just complain about having to sweep up leaves..
fine was something pissy, like $40 K.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You guys should be killing this...between all your wind, all your coastline, and all your heat surely you'd be left wanting nothing! I don't recall seeing a lot of solar panels on houses when I was over there.
I would have though Ballajura had plenty of solar. Yes we have an abundance of renewable potential coast is very windy. No shortage of sunshine, there is decent solar penetration but when you have a payback of 3 years or so I'm surprised there isn't more, I think we are at around 20%. In a McMansion with a pool and a black roof you'd be mad not to get it! When the shut down Collie's coal we'll still have gas but will be probably 2-3rds renewables which isn't too bad considering no hydro here.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Right about now when the wind dies off and the sun has gone, its still 36° in SA.

Tell me about those renewables and how they are working right now ?

Every thermal plant in Aus plus peakers that only come online when the pool price is $300-$1000 a MW are running full pelt. Including all those coal plants in NSW, QLD and VIC that have been on half load all day while the solar was working.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Right about now when the wind dies off and the sun has gone, its still 36° in SA.

Tell me about those renewables and how they are working right now ?

Every thermal plant in Aus plus peakers that only come online when the pool price is $300-$1000 a MW are running full pelt. Including all those coal plants in NSW, QLD and VIC that have been on half load all day while the solar was working.
A whole bunch of those molten salt "batteries" would come in really handy in situations like that.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Compare this to earlier, not a bit of 'mustard' apart from WA, that is several hours behind.

When that wind dies off.... renewables are history country wide.

Some people dont think about the things that happen when they sleep.

In NSW alone, they are generating 7500mw per hour of electricity using black coal right now at 20:55pm. That would discharge Elon Musk's famous 100mwh battery in 50 seconds.

Except it can only discharge at 25mw per hour.