Post your wicked BANSHEE thread....

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Banshee owners!

In another two weeks I'll be paying for a Spitty frame (I'd like it to be today but I think rent will put a stop to that).
Currently on 26" wheels, with the intention of getting a 650B set around tax return time.

Herein lies my dilemma.
I'm planning to get a Pike for front end duties, however, I don't know if 150 or 160 would be more suitable.

I see most here are running 160 on the Spitty, with only a few on 150.
My original intentions were to have 150 to try keep that tight, trail bike handling... but would the 10mm really make that much of a difference? Or negligible?

What would you guys recommend?
If I go second hand to save a couple hundred bucks, it looks like most or all are 160... hence the concern.
I know I can have the 160 cut down to 150, but I'd rather avoid the dick around if it's going to come to that.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Are you getting the frame off Mittagongben (Singletraks)?

He'll do a good deal for you on a new Pike. Personally, I'd go 150 on the Spitty, would be a nice balance.

Pretty sure Moorey is running 150 on his, ask him for an opinion. Better yet, just wait for him to give it to you.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Just buy pikes and an extra air shaft. I ran 160mm Vengence firstly, and then 150mm Pikes on my spitfire with both 26 and 650b wheels.
Due to the adjustable chips you can run either 150 or 160mm and fiddle with the HA to set up as you prefer.
I personally preferred the 150mm in neutral chips, but that could be due to the pike over the Vengence.

Ps-Moorey now owns my old spitfire.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a 150mm pike on my spitty, in the slackest setting.
I find this gives a nice low BB, without making the head angle overly slack. Also helps to keep the front end as low as I can get it. Absolutely love the way it handles.
If you look at the banshee website, they state that the geometry is designed around a fork with the axle to crown of a 160mm pike, but my experience says that is awesome with 150mm

Ezkaton

Eats Squid

He'll do a good deal for you on a new Pike. Personally, I'd go 150 on the Spitty, would be a nice balance.

Pretty sure Moorey is running 150 on his, ask him for an opinion. Better yet, just wait for him to give it to you.
Yup, from Ben.
I was thinking a 150 front would go well with the 140 rear... but after seeing most people running 160, it left me curious about the differences.
I shall await the thoughts of the Rotorburn overlord.

I run a 150mm pike on my spitty, in the slackest setting.
I find this gives a nice low BB, without making the head angle overly slack. Also helps to keep the front end as low as I can get it. Absolutely love the way it handles.
If you look at the banshee website, they state that the geometry is designed around a fork with the axle to crown of a 160mm pike, but my experience says that is awesome with 150mm
150 in the slackest setting was what I was planning for. Glad to hear it's a good choice!

moorey

call me Mia

160, arse eyes. Wouldn't drop it for quids

moorey

call me Mia
The rear is so capable, it feels like more than 140 anyway. I raced the alpine gravity last weekend, and despite me being a shit rider, the spitty punches a mile above its weight on the DH tracks with 160 up front.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
150 in the slackest setting was what I was planning for. Glad to hear it's a good choice!
With the CCDB set up for my preferred settings, the 150mm fork and slackest chips left a very low BB and pedal strikes become an overwhelming problem.
If you looking to keep it quick and trail oriented, the steeper HA and SA will make it more responsive.

If you buy a 160mm Pike, I can loan you a 150mm air shaft to try out.

Boom King

With the CCDB set up for my preferred settings, the 150mm fork and slackest chips left a very low BB and pedal strikes become an overwhelming problem.
If you looking to keep it quick and trail oriented, the steeper HA and SA will make it more responsive.

If you buy a 160mm Pike, I can loan you a 150mm air shaft to try out.
If I buy a 150mm air shaft, can you loan me a 160mm Pike to try out?

Boom King

The rear is so capable, it feels like more than 140 anyway. I raced the alpine gravity last weekend, and despite me being a shit rider, the spitty punches a mile above its weight on the DH tracks with 160 up front.
Are you trying to tell us you would have noticed the difference and it would have been less capable with 150mm?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
That's pretty convincing!

I have a DH bike for those duties, so I'm just looking to use the Spitty for XC/Trail/AM... You Yangs, Buxton, Lysty etc. but it's good to hear it's also capable for when things get bigger and rougher.
160 definitely seems to be the more common choice, maybe you're all onto something!

How close to the Banshee recommended settings are your personal preferred settings on the CCDB?

The Overlord has spoken!
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That's pretty convincing!

How close to the Banshee recommended settings are your personal preferred settings on the CCDB?

:
Rebound and compression were a little higher than the recommended settings (can't remember the actual number off hand) but I ran about 30-35% sag.