Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TE72 without a doubt Mark. You're fond of the car and well familiar with it so it's a no brainer really. I do like my 31's even in wagoo form but I'd have to say that the TE72 has a uniqueness which a 31 wagoo really lacks.

skivi

Likes Dirt
alright i'm stumped, I have been trying to start my telstar all afternoon with no luck at all.

things I have checked
-spark (plenty)
-fuel (plenty getting into the barrel and right mixture)
-compression (heaps put a new copper gasket in)
-timing (dead on perfect)
-exhaust is sealed properly

so before I drop to the floor and throw a tantrum or die from exhaustion from trying to bump start it all afternoon, does anyone else have an idea of what the f*** is going on?
$5 says it's the carby (though i'm obviously by no means an expert)

check the float level, jetting, jet, idle screw, choke, throttle cabling/throttle slide, air filter (if you run one), rubber o-rings and rubber seals for holes or weeping.

an ex NSW bucketeer told me old small two-strokes are the simplest of machines, if you've got the basics even remotely set up ok and she still wont start it's the carburettor, get that dialled and they'll run until they die (or in a H100's case put a big hole through the piston!)

mlsred

Likes Dirt
$5 says it's the carby (though i'm obviously by no means an expert)

check the float level, jetting, jet, idle screw, choke, throttle cabling/throttle slide, air filter (if you run one), rubber o-rings and rubber seals for holes or weeping.

an ex NSW bucketeer told me old small two-strokes are the simplest of machines, if you've got the basics even remotely set up ok and she still wont start it's the carburettor, get that dialled and they'll run until they die (or in a H100's case put a big hole through the piston!)
so after rebuilding my existing carby and trying a different carby that I know works with the exact same settings as my telstar one it still won't start. After all my failed attempts at starting I thought it was carby related to, but obviously not. So Nick I will take your $5 and put it towards a large can of "start you bastard" other wise next project before I do anything else i'm going to build myself a set of rollers.

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so after rebuilding my existing carby and trying a different carby that I know works with the exact same settings as my telstar one it still won't start. After all my failed attempts at starting I thought it was carby related to, but obviously not. So Nick I will take your $5 and put it towards a large can of "start you bastard" other wise next project before I do anything else i'm going to build myself a set of rollers.

Shot in the dark. Are you sure your ignition timing is not 180 degrees out?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
What do people know about getting a little more performance out of carbie'd 1.5 litre Honda Civic, 94? I'm contemplating getting one as a cheap 2nd vehicle and whilst I'm not ever expecting to set the world alight in terms of performance, but I'd like to know its possible to squeeze a little more out of it without spending big bucks.

My initial thoughts were:
- new carbie, possibly a 40mm side draught Weber
- pod filter
- mild steel exhaust

I'm particularly keen on the idea of a new weber carbie, but have no idea if it'd fit....

cheers

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do people know about getting a little more performance out of carbie'd 1.5 litre Honda Civic, 94? I'm contemplating getting one as a cheap 2nd vehicle and whilst I'm not ever expecting to set the world alight in terms of performance, but I'd like to know its possible to squeeze a little more out of it without spending big bucks.

My initial thoughts were:
- new carbie, possibly a 40mm side draught Weber
- pod filter
- mild steel exhaust

I'm particularly keen on the idea of a new weber carbie, but have no idea if it'd fit....

cheers
Pretty sure '94 Civic's were definately efi?

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Heya GOUDGEY!!

IMO, dont bother man. At them minimum youll spend a few hundred bucks for stuff all gain. I assume its the "BREEZE" model, bottom dollar spec civic??
If you want any sort of performance, buy the EFI model, itll save you the money modifying a carby POS, the extra fuel itll use as a carby, carby tuning headaches and itll actually be worth something when you sell it!!

If your even CONSIDERING performance, dont even waste your time with the carby civics if you can get an EFI for a little more.

Mark :)

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
positive its back to running cdi off an it 175 so timing isn't a problem anymore
Removed everything intake related from the cylinder to the first point of entry for the air to check for blockages/rags/shit that's in there back to front? Rag in the front mount has caused a few nervous breakdowns. Good luck with it, sounds horrible...

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Rag in the front mount has caused a few nervous breakdowns.
Hahahaaa
Happens all the time!!
Ive had an "acquaintance" with a brand new, few thousand dollar, rebuild need another rebuild after trying to start a 13BT with rag jammed in the ports... He eventually towed it behind a car and tried to clutch it at speed, locking the rears every time!! hahahaaa
Kids these days...

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Heya GOUDGEY!!

IMO, dont bother man. At them minimum youll spend a few hundred bucks for stuff all gain. I assume its the "BREEZE" model, bottom dollar spec civic??
If you want any sort of performance, buy the EFI model, itll save you the money modifying a carby POS, the extra fuel itll use as a carby, carby tuning headaches and itll actually be worth something when you sell it!!

If your even CONSIDERING performance, dont even waste your time with the carby civics if you can get an EFI for a little more.

Thanks Mark,
Good advice there and I'll keep an eye out for a decent EFI Civic...perhaps a VTI.
Yes, it was a Breeze model I believe, although it wasnt badged as such,
Cheers
Mark

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Removed everything intake related from the cylinder to the first point of entry for the air to check for blockages/rags/shit that's in there back to front? Rag in the front mount has caused a few nervous breakdowns. Good luck with it, sounds horrible...

I have heard a story about a car backed into a earthern enbankment that was blocking the exhaust. It confused several mechanics for hours trying to work out why it wouldn't start.

floody

Wheel size expert
Forget the motor. Nice stainless headers and 2.5" exhaust, pod filter (might as well!), coilovers and a set of fat 14s or 15s would make it a fun little car, regardless of grunt.

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
Hahahaaa
Happens all the time!!
Ive had an "acquaintance" with a brand new, few thousand dollar, rebuild need another rebuild after trying to start a 13BT with rag jammed in the ports... He eventually towed it behind a car and tried to clutch it at speed, locking the rears every time!! hahahaaa
Kids these days...

Some years ago I left a rag in the airbox of a 410 Husky then put it all together and took it to a race day. After nearly an hour trying to figure out we started pulling it down , only to find the rag spread from the air box , through the carby and stuck under the inlet valve.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
yep checked the inket and transfer ports for blockages, got the exhaust off last night to check just incase i'm still waitng for the exhaust sealent to dry properly before I do anything. This engine really has me stumped so far I have built 3 seperate starmaker engines some with tricks some without all 3 have run beautifully and start with a jogging start (one I could start by spinning the wheel with my hand!). This particular engine I rebuilt about 3 weeks ago with all new seals and gaskets all was good and I didn't skimo on anything looks like it's going to be rebuilt yet again.