Red Hill; Legal trails

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Very true. Hopefully if a few riders get there during the trial, then hopefully there'll be more access to the lifts at better times and more trails will be built that are accessible for the lift.

I'm going to head down Thursday and I'll give a heads up on how it goes.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Trail maps are available on the Red Hill Riders website. The majority of the trails are about 2km away from either top or bottom stations of the Eagle, either along Boundary Rd at the bottom or Arthurs Seat Rd at the top. Charlottes (Trail 13) is the only trail close to, and best served by the lift; from the top station, head around the west side of the building & follow the path down alongside Purves Rd about 200m, then cross over into the Seawinds Garden entrance. Take the management track from the first carpark until you reach the Charlottes gate feature. From the bottom of Charlottes, take the fire road run out, then turn right onto the gravel road which takes you across the side of the hill to join the Arthurs Seat Rd. It's a relatively flat ride along the contour line, then head down hill when you hit the sealed road.
Another option is to head east from the top of the Eagle along the side of Arthur's Seat Rd, down the fire trail to Crits(10?), down Crits and the into Glenn's Pony all the way to Boundary Rd. Hang a left and ride Boundary Rd back to the Eagle base.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm going to head down Thursday and I'll give a heads up on how it goes.
Just a heads up, Eagle does stop operating the lift in high winds. With strong winds forecast at least until the end of the week it's probably a good idea to contact them before heading down to be sure it's running.

wkkie

Just a heads up, Eagle does stop operating the lift in high winds. With strong winds forecast at least until the end of the week it's probably a good idea to contact them before heading down to be sure it's running.
Yeah, will do.

Anyone else up for the ride tomorrow?

wkkie

Well I just gave them a call then and they've cancelled tomorrow morning and still haven't decided on the afternoon session just yet, so it's out for me.

Looks like there'll be a few of us heading up on the 20th instead.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hit up the gondola today for some laps of Charlottes Pass. It was good conditions and the set up for mountain bikes was pretty good.

I've never done lifts or gondolas elsewhere so all I can compare to is the Blue Dirt shuttles at Buller, bright, kinglake. Compared to that, the gondola is expensive ($45 for 3 hours) and a bit slow but it's also clean, staff are friendly and it seems well run.

I got five runs in during the three hours I had. If you push it you could get six but that would be it.

It's pretty easy to access charlottes pass and I enjoyed that trail. I've never ridden it before but it's got a nice mix of technical and high speed. Even in the high speed sections, there are plenty of rocks and roots ready to push a wheel offline so you have to be on your toes.

The trail back to the gondola base station is a nice little blast thought the bush to keep things interesting.

It would be a bit of a stretch to access the other trails from the gondola so I reckon most people will just do charlottes. Not sure if it willhold up to well with increased traffic but time will tell.

Will be great if they can open up one or two more runs close to the top.

I think they have about thirty four gondolas in total and had just four dedicated to bikes today. Doesn't sound like much but I never had to wait when I got to the bottom. The staff are good too and will sneak you on even if the bike specific gondola has gone by the bike entry door but is still in the boarding area.

Not sure what else to say. It will be up to you to decide if the value is there but it's a good service and the main trail you get access to is a good one.

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for being the guinea pig. Until they build more trails and have cheaper price per day with weekend running I will leave it for now.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Thanks for being the guinea pig. Until they build more trails and have cheaper price per day with weekend running I will leave it for now.
The price thing is interesting. I agree it’s a bit steep but today was packed with paying tourists and evey gondola with just one or two bikes on it, is a gondola not carrying 4 full price tourists.

Maybe today was especially busy but given it was a weekday in winter, it seems to me they are not short of paying customers...

Anyway, I had fun and would probably do it again every now and then so hopefully the trial goes well

slowmick

38-39"
Last week day of school holidays might have played a part in bringing in the Tourists. Cheaper and easier than taking the kids to the snow.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Eagle are now taking bikes every day (weather permitting the thing running) during the trial period, plus I'm led to believe are adding another 7 bike-compatible carriages. It's early days, but this advancemt after only two weeks is a good sign that they're seeing things our way.

Now what would be really good is if they'd channel some funds into tail development in the corridor close to the lift.... More trails would give riders more ride options, and more incentive to use the lift.... Win for everyone. ;-)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Eagle are now taking bikes every day (weather permitting the thing running) during the trial period, plus I'm led to believe are adding another 7 bike-compatible carriages. It's early days, but this advancemt after only two weeks is a good sign that they're seeing things our way.

Now what would be really good is if they'd channel some funds into tail development in the corridor close to the lift.... More trails would give riders more ride options, and more incentive to use the lift.... Win for everyone. ;-)
What's the clubs plan for trails in that corridor? Surely the local council would be on board with some funding?

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Was thinking of heading up on Wednesday and Thursday. Weather may rain out on Wednesday and winds are forecast 24km/h on Thursday. Would that be too strong for gondolas and do we have to book or can we just rock up ? Cheers

wkkie

24km/h would be ok, but if they gust to, I think it's 68km/h then they call it off. And you can just rock up and jump on.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Was thinking of heading up on Wednesday and Thursday. Weather may rain out on Wednesday and winds are forecast 24km/h on Thursday. Would that be too strong for gondolas and do we have to book or can we just rock up ? Cheers
Current wind forecasts are a fair bit higher than that... 20-30 knots wih higher squalls. 1 knot = 1.852km/h, so that's Bloody Windy. Best to give them a call before heading down in case they're not running.

wkkie

Current wind forecasts are a fair bit higher than that... 20-30 knots wih higher squalls. 1 knot = 1.852km/h, so that's Bloody Windy. Best to give them a call before heading down in case they're not running.
Yep, call the arvo before and they might be able to tell you then. If not, call them that morning before heading down