Red Hill; Legal trails

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Rock Salt works have been completed and it's now back open. :smile: Haven't had a chance yet to go & have a look at it; was too preoccupied with the XC race this weekend. Trails held up with that really well; we've had the right amount of rain recently to really stick it down nicely, just a couple of the perennially loose sandy corners on Wombat are slightly more blown out than normal but not too badly, otherwise there's fuck-all wear, and some bits of Pine Climb in particular have really well packed down.

Deadwoods & Crits are closed for the next few days while works are done on the access road, but will be back open for next weekend.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode Rock Salt the other day and the tweaks are good. Has not affected the feel or character of the trail at all, but just made it a bit betterer.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Some pus-nuts has been repeatedly filling in the root gardens on Pins & Needles and Pine Climb, much to the disgust of the trail crew who would rather do other trail work instead of clearing it out. If you're in the area & see weird behaviour, please let the club know so we stick their shovels where the sun don't shine.... :rant:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some pus-nuts has been repeatedly filling in the root gardens on Pins & Needles and Pine Climb, much to the disgust of the trail crew who would rather do other trail work instead of clearing it out. If you're in the area & see weird behaviour, please let the club know so we stick their shovels where the sun don't shine.... :rant:
I saw the trail crew up there a couple of Tuesdays ago and just assumed they had filled it in. Thought it was a bit odd.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Some repair work was done on Pime Climb after the XC race, but I don't believe that included any filling of root gardens, so that's pus-nuts' work too.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What kind of utter knob-head goes to the trouble of smoothing out the natural features on trails kindly maintained and legalised by the hard work of others? Let's make all trails into footpaths so f$%ktard riders with no skills can feel like shredders... Reminds me of the champs who pride themselves getting Strava KOMs at Lysterfield riding down the fire roads beside the actual tracks.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Parks Vic have decided to be a little bit "helpful" with some trail maintenance works on Slippery Gypsy this week (hopefully some of our crew will be allowed to hang over their shoulders to ensure they don't fuck it up....), which will see it closed for a few days mid-week.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Parks Vic have decided to be a little bit "helpful" with some trail maintenance works on Slippery Gypsy this week (hopefully some of our crew will be allowed to hang over their shoulders to ensure they don't fuck it up....), which will see it closed for a few days mid-week.
Hope they don't fuck it. Love this little bit of trail.

Logic

Likes Dirt
What kind of utter knob-head goes to the trouble of smoothing out the natural features on trails kindly maintained and legalised by the hard work of others? Let's make all trails into footpaths so f$%ktard riders with no skills can feel like shredders... Reminds me of the champs who pride themselves getting Strava KOMs at Lysterfield riding down the fire roads beside the actual tracks.
PHP:
So that explains explains how the KOM for follow me is 1:29 seconds! That always baffled me how people could get down there that fast....

Nautonier

Eats Squid
PHP:
So that explains explains how the KOM for follow me is 1:29 seconds! That always baffled me how people could get down there that fast....
KOM for Follow Me is 1:19, which I think is Strava error as it's so much faster than the thousands of riders who have tried to smash that run. I managed a 1:31 once, but I had to pedal to the point of almost vomiting...

I was thinking of Aneurysm, where people love to ride fast down the fire road beside it and halve the time of riders like Troy Brosnan (yes, he is actually on that leaderboard).

Logic

Likes Dirt
KOM for Follow Me is 1:19, which I think is Strava error as it's so much faster than the thousands of riders who have tried to smash that run. I managed a 1:31 once, but I had to pedal to the point of almost vomiting...

I was thinking of Aneurysm, where people love to ride fast down the fire road beside it and have the time of riders like Troy Brosnan (yes, he is actually on that leaderboard).
Holy shit well was done! I've tried going flat out there once but then had a gnarly stack (slid out of a berm) and dislocated my shoulder :( I can't believe Troy Brosnan has even been to Lysty that mad! I wish Strava had a process for banning people...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Hope they don't fuck it. Love this little bit of trail.
Apparently they've already done a bit... :doh: Word from out trail crew leader is that, and I quote, "it's not great". Which could simply mean ineffective.... They were talking about armouring, but if it's the bit I'm thinking of (I can really only think of one tiny bit that needs attention), all it really needs is a bit of reshaping & maybe a little bit of fill to aid drainage.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently they've already done a bit... :doh: Word from out trail crew leader is that, and I quote, "it's not great". Which could simply mean ineffective.... They were talking about armouring, but if it's the bit I'm thinking of (I can really only think of one tiny bit that needs attention), all it really needs is a bit of reshaping & maybe a little bit of fill to aid drainage.
It is open again and I rode it tonight. Not the worst, but I think the armouring just before the tree (you know the one) is going to cause me to wash out and crash there.
That is my prediction for the year.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Well here's a bit of news that will cheer up the anti-climbers....

Red Hill Riders have begun formal discussions with the Eagle chairlift regarding getting bikes on board! Apparently they've been getting a lot of pressure from the wider MTB community, not just us, realised that winter sucks for them (could have told them that months ago), and most importantly have a change of management, and the New Guy who starts in a couple of months is much more open to the idea.

It's very early days yet, and we need to do a lot of consultation and feasibility work with Eagle, so we don't have a timeline of exactly when it will happen, but stay tuned 'cos progress is being made. :smile:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Did my first ride out there on Sunday, it was great. Crusher track tested my skills a bit!
Which track is Crusher? It's not on the trail maps. Eaton's cutting?

Good news about the gondola, are there any plans to put more tracks over that side other than Charlottes? I heard a rumour a while ago about a trail going in directly under the gondola, which would be a great place to put one. Also plenty of potential to put more trails in around Charlottes.