Rocky Trail's SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011

Steven P

Likes Bikes
Revising myself down:
I measured the track with my Garmin yesterday and it was more like 8.5 km in total - not sure if my Garmin was playing up.
I think your Garmin must be playing up - I get about 11.4km for the full red loop using my Garmin! And I know others who get about 11.8km with a speedo that doesn't use GPS. (I'm still not convinced that the GPS units account for all the small ups and downs all that well!)

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Just got back from Awaba and a few laps. 1st time there. All I can say is that it is an amazing track and massive credit to all the people / club etc that have put the time in the get this track to the way it is. Well worth the drive from Sydney. You wont be dissappointed. Cant wait to race on it on Saturday.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Revising myself down:
I measured the track with my Garmin yesterday and it was more like 8.5 km in total - not sure if my Garmin was playing up.

Did 2 laps and rode until 5.15pm. We will let the last riders out at 4pm making it a 7 hour race instead of the full 8. This gives the last rider a good hour to complete the final lap which should be plenty.

Looking forward to the biggest MTB GP to date!
My Garmin today was also 1 km off my mates with normal speedo. I suspect that you lose satellite thru-out the track...The full loop is around 11.5 to 11.8km. Very hard work but awesome.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can somebody give me an idea of how much rain we will be facing.

Also, any chance of a starters list?

dottyman

Likes Dirt

Latest BOM.....Saturday 16 July....Cloudy. Isolated showers about the Lower Hunter, extending throughout from the morning. Winds southeasterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h.
Just looking at the radar now and its about to get wet up there tonight. Pack the mud tyres. BTW the new track sections are awesome...rode them last week and cant wait to get up there on Saturday..... rain, hail or shine. An isolated shower won't hurt the new track and should bed it down a bit.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I think (hope) the rain will be minimal, as it looks to be coastal showers and Awaba is just that little bit inland. However a few mm of rain will probably improve conditions as the last fortnight has been super dry and Glenrock (and probably Awaba too) is getting loose and slippery. Nobbys (the coastal weather station) has recorded 2.8mm overnight while Cooranbong is the closest to Awaba and hasn't recorded any rain yet.

BOM predicting 1-5mm on their rainfall map.

Attachments

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think (hope) the rain will be minimal, as it looks to be coastal showers and Awaba is just that little bit inland. However a few mm of rain will probably improve conditions as the last fortnight has been super dry and Glenrock (and probably Awaba too) is getting loose and slippery. Nobbys (the coastal weather station) has recorded 2.8mm overnight while Cooranbong is the closest to Awaba and hasn't recorded any rain yet.

BOM predicting 1-5mm on their rainfall map.
good news [SUB]10 char[/SUB]

OzDirtCast

Likes Bikes
Just checked with my reliable lady on the scene in Newcastle (Grandma) and she said its been clanging down since 11am. Its just started doing the same here in Sydney and I think a race at Awaba was recently canned by HMBA due to concerns about the track and damage.

What are the chances the race'll be called off??? I'm happy to race but would prefer to avoid the drive if its already in the can!

markusm

Likes Bikes
Just checked with my reliable lady on the scene in Newcastle (Grandma) and she said its been clanging down since 11am. Its just started doing the same here in Sydney and I think a race at Awaba was recently canned by HMBA due to concerns about the track and damage.

What are the chances the race'll be called off??? I'm happy to race but would prefer to avoid the drive if its already in the can!
I'm the same, coming from Sydney so i'm watching this very closely :)

Rida

Likes Bikes

Is there anyone at Awaba tonight who can give us an actual on the ground weather report?

1mm of rain recorded today at the Lake Macquarie rain gauge and 3.6mm at Newcastle (same as Sydney and it's pretty wet on the ground here!).
Also looks like there'll definitely be some more rain tomorrow. Maybe not enough rain to make it necessary to call the event off but quite likely enough to make for wet, cold and miserable riding conditions :(

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Is there anyone at Awaba tonight who can give us an actual on the ground weather report?

1mm of rain recorded today at the Lake Macquarie rain gauge and 3.6mm at Newcastle (same as Sydney and it's pretty wet on the ground here!).
Also looks like there'll definitely be some more rain tomorrow. Maybe not enough rain to make it necessary to call the event off but quite likely enough to make for wet, cold and miserable riding conditions :(
from 8 minutes ago from the Rocky Trail facebook page: all good up here, drizzle only this avo, race track is perfect and nicely bedded in. Forecast for tomorrow: weather good, race awesome!

I'm in Newcastle about 500m from the coast and yes it's been wet today, however this rain is much worse on the coast and a few kms makes a difference, 4.0mm at Nobbys compared to less than half that at (1.6mm) Cooranbong http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.95767.shtml . Even in Newcastle the rain has been drizzly, the ground is wet but I don't think the track will be too bad unless it rains a lot during the race.

driftmonkey

Likes Bikes
i was out there this arvo and it looks the goods

there has been a slight drizle this arvo but the track has just gone for dry and hard to hero dirt! would say that a few more mm tonight wont do any damage. dont worry about being cold there is enough climbing to keep you warm :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Woohoo - awesome race, awesome vibe as always. The track was just about perfect, no rain at all today and the little bit overnight made it tacky and grippy with only minimal slippy stuff, not really any mud. Even with close to 400 riders congestion wasn't a problem (well for me at least) and the track was positively empty after the 4hour ppl left... I got a little lonely!

Congrats Martin and Julianne on another great event!

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
That has to rank as one of the best team races I have done. We were so lucky with the weather and track as it it doesn't get much better than that. And Rocky Trail did a fantastic job - I can't fault the day and the vibe 10/10.

Of course, it is somewhat enhanced by the fact that I finally got on the podium and received some great goodies.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Great event today guys!!!

Had a blast. Well done!

Well done to Chris and his team mate riding for Pedal 4 Pierce, for thier podium result in the junior pairs! Great effort guys! :D

See you at the state 4X. :)

tate6969

Likes Bikes
results?

dont tell me enduropulse managed to put a vid together before the results are even published?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a fabulous day.

Racing wise I had a forgettable day, but once I stopped racing and started rolling around for kicks my day improved out of sight.

Ended up yipping and yahooing with 3 gears (an early crash took out my rear shifter, so I was left with 42-32-24/19 once I attacked my rear deraileur with an allen key to lock it into something resembling a useable gear) it was actually quite fun with just the three gears except for when I was spinning like a madman to get any kind of speed on the fireroads/flat straight single track. (Could we see Rotorburn's biggest SS skeptic trying out a SS in the near future? - stay tuned)

I think I did 9 laps in 7:45 or so. Enjoyed the last 6 of them, and as a result couldn't have been happier.

That ridonculously steep pinch is great fun to attack in a pace-line, everybody is screaming at one another "dont stop! dont stop! or we'll all fall and slide down the hill :p"