ShockWiz - Automated Suspension Tuning

Mimaki

Squid
Don't you just run a higher pressure for bottom out control and then control how soft it is OTT within that first 70mm is so that you're not suffering the general small bump compliance problems that occur with higher spring rates?
Read that the OTT works more like LSC, and the LSC is more mid support.. you can add oil to the air chamber to increase ramp up - but I'll play with air pressure and OTT first to see if I can get everything to green.
At suggested settings I still have about 15-20mm travel left, maybe I should ride a bit harder.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my shock pump is running about 5psi high too.
You lose a bit when you release the shock pump, depending on the design of the fork and the valve (and the low volumes of air involved) 5PSI between the disconnect and reconnect (in this case the shockwiz) is not at all impossible.

Z

Zaf

Read that the OTT works more like LSC, and the LSC is more mid support.. you can add oil to the air chamber to increase ramp up - but I'll play with air pressure and OTT first to see if I can get everything to green.
At suggested settings I still have about 15-20mm travel left, maybe I should ride a bit harder.
I was on the understanding that OTT effects the volume of the negative air spring, which is why it helps with the initial movement and sensitivity of the fork. Oil in the positive always works, but I'd only be resorting to that if you're already at the limits of the adjustments the fork has standard.

Also, was it reasonable that 15-20mm was left? I generally only look at that o-ring if I've hit something which I thought warranted the use of full travel, for general trail blasting, don't usually hit things that I feel should have bottomed the fork out.

Mimaki

Squid
I was on the understanding that OTT effects the volume of the negative air spring, which is why it helps with the initial movement and sensitivity of the fork. Oil in the positive always works, but I'd only be resorting to that if you're already at the limits of the adjustments the fork has standard.

Also, was it reasonable that 15-20mm was left? I generally only look at that o-ring if I've hit something which I thought warranted the use of full travel, for general trail blasting, don't usually hit things that I feel should have bottomed the fork out.
Do you think adding more OTT will push the shockwiz towards seeing more ramp was added?

I think its reasonable regarding the o-ring, just trail buddies keep telling me Im not using 'all the travel' on my fork and to release air... the bike feels fast, controlled, quick & snappy as is.

Z

Zaf

Do you think adding more OTT will push the shockwiz towards seeing more ramp was added?

I think its reasonable regarding the o-ring, just trail buddies keep telling me Im not using 'all the travel' on my fork and to release air... the bike feels fast, controlled, quick & snappy as is.
If it feels good, ignore those voices!!!

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
My New Shockwiz has arrived!

Really it's "our" new Shockwiz as 4 people pitched in on it. But I'm not telling them until I've had a chance to play with it...

My suspension ranges between "good enough" and "she'll be right!". I have no idea what pressure my Fox 36's are currently at, nore where the dials are set. I can tell you that they look sick on my bike. Recently I thought that they were a bit firm so I just pushed the valve a few times until they felt good.
So I'm not sure that I'm the best tester because just about anything will be an improvement. The other three riders however are pretty cluey, so we should be able to give you a pretty thorough run down by the time we've all given it a go.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Helped a mate use his brand new ShockWiz on some Revelation RL forks. Even played with tokens on the side of the trail.

Renting seems wise, lotta cash for what seems to be a short term need.

The app seems lacking considering SRAM's involvement, should have the ability to configure the fork type. I witnessed a novice user looking for a high speed compression adjuster.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt

FYI, I was told by ns dynamics that if adjusting the OTT you should drop the pressure of of your forks prior. My adjuster got stuck!

I've been playing with a shockwiz for about 2 months on my diamonds and the OTT never really affected the recommendations surprisingly

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Played with mine over the last 5 days

Points to consider:

- set-up is pretty easy, instructions are ok

- DON'T run your fork/shock locked at all while you are monitoring/recording it with the ShockWiz

- takes a while to get the correct volume of data (I reached 100% confidence with 2.5 hours to-from and around Lystie)

Not sure if having the unit for only a weekend (i.e. hiring one for that period of time) would be long enough? You would need to make sure you dedicate time to the tuning and maybe bring stuff with you to tune on the trail or in the carpark. A one week hire model would be better

Changed my settings a lot, I'm shit at setting up suspension, now my right hand doesn't fall asleep

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While the instructions are pretty thorough, there is still some things missing. My mate has mine now, and I have been ironing out his problems. He went for a 2hr ride and still only reached a 49% confidence level. However, his baseline air pressure was in the red. Seems like you have to change the pressure to a more acceptable level otherwise it’ll hang forever wrong at 49%. It would work out what your baseline pressure needs to be pretty quick, so after 10 minues on the bike, check what it says otherwise you may be wasting a lot of time!

Another thing, read on MTBR that it can only hold a finite amount of data and on long rides it may start pushing data out. So if you have a commute at the end of your ride, you may only be getting that analysed……

bear the bear

Is a real bear
While the instructions are pretty thorough, there is still some things missing. My mate has mine now, and I have been ironing out his problems. He went for a 2hr ride and still only reached a 49% confidence level. However, his baseline air pressure was in the red. Seems like you have to change the pressure to a more acceptable level otherwise it’ll hang forever wrong at 49%. It would work out what your baseline pressure needs to be pretty quick, so after 10 minues on the bike, check what it says otherwise you may be wasting a lot of time!

Another thing, read on MTBR that it can only hold a finite amount of data and on long rides it may start pushing data out. So if you have a commute at the end of your ride, you may only be getting that analysed……
Any idea on the data storage capacity? 2hr? 4hr?

markb84

Likes Dirt
- takes a while to get the correct volume of data (I reached 100% confidence with 2.5 hours to-from and around Lystie)

Not sure if having the unit for only a weekend (i.e. hiring one for that period of time) would be long enough? You would need to make sure you dedicate time to the tuning and maybe bring stuff with you to tune on the trail or in the carpark. A one week hire model would be better
I've only had a chance to get out on the bike twice since I got my Shockwiz.

Note – You don't have to get to 100% confidence. Anything above 80% is fine to start tweaking off.

I hit the same trail 3-4 times on Sunday specifically trying to put the shockwiz through as much variance as possible, jumps, pumps, drops, rock garden and pedalling back up.
I got good suggestions, made changes, started a new session then ran again and made more changes. It's definitely going in the right direction.

I don't think you'd get to a perfect tune in a day, but you could definitely identify any major issues and resolve them quickly. The refining takes more time.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Anyone interested in a group buy ? If we keep it to riders in CBD Melb and inner north it will be easier to share it around. I'm thinking 5 shares at $100 a piece, I have 2 takers already. After the initial excitement and rush I think sharing it 5 ways will be very easy.

Mods- happy to move this to the trading area if you think that's a better fit.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Logic

Likes Dirt
Anyone interested in a group buy ? If we keep it to riders in CBD Melb and inner north it will be easier to share it around. I'm thinking 5 shares at $100 a piece, I have 2 takers already. After the initial excitement and rush I think sharing it 5 ways will be very easy.

Mods- happy to move this to the trading area if you think that's a better fit.

Have you considered hiring one?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Have you considered hiring one?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I have but I think I'd use it enough with multiple bikes and frequent change overs to justify part ownership. Hire is $50 to $100 a pop so it wouldn't take long to add up.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Second ride report.

Yea, this thing is pretty cool. Dead easy to set up (though it's a 7 minute job if you're running out the door for a ride) and really easy to use.

I rode the a short loop on Saturday afternoon with the shockwiz in the Playful setting (because I'm a playful kinda guy) and scored 88/100.
Honestly, the first time that I unlocked the phone after my first ride I expected to be told to trade my bike in for a tricycle and grow a pair! So whist there was some room for improvement I was pretty chuffed.The trail was about 17km long and 45 mins and I had no problem hitting 100% confidence.

shockwiz.jpg

I'm not sure about the suggested changes to the High speed compression, because it's already wound all the way off. I weigh 86kg butt naked and bone dry so I'm not sure what it's on about.

This morning I did the same the same ride with the Shock wiz in the Balanced setting and got pretty much the same result. So I'm keen to do a little more research into how these settings compare.

I'll try the Shockwiz on my rear shock on Friday morning and see how that goes. I've given my rear shock even less attention than my fork in the past so the results might be more interesting. I'll also handball the Shockwiz to another rider next week and we'll see how it works for them.

Z

Zaf

I rode the a short loop on Saturday afternoon with the shockwiz in the Playful setting (because I'm a playful kinda guy) and scored 88/100.
Does it have a "Frothin' at the lips" setting?! Because you'd be scoring 110/100 with that setting engaged!!:rockon:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got mine sorted, got 100% after 1 hour at Lystie. Custom modified token, drilled some holes in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: