Snakes

driftking

Wheel size expert
Curious how many people have emergency or (ICE) contacts in there phone but still have a passcode lock on it?
Just thought id throw that one out there because Id think many people do this, rendering ICE contacts pointless in a phone that is locked.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Curious how many people have emergency or (ICE) contacts in there phone but still have a passcode lock on it?
Just thought id throw that one out there because Id think many people do this, rendering ICE contacts pointless in a phone that is locked.
I don't run a screen lock in my phone, has actually worked I'm my favour when I left it in a train once.. Lol..

I don't list an ice or emergency number in nine but I do have 'the wife' and 'mum' which should point someone in the right direction

redbruce

Eats Squid
All the modern mobiles I've had in the last 5 years have allowed emergency calls from a locked screen.

Eg on the Iphone, at the bottom of the keyboard screen for the passcode, there is an "emergency" tab. Press that and your call (but only to 000 or 112) will progress.

0psi

Eats Squid
All the modern mobiles I've had in the last 5 years have allowed emergency calls from a locked screen.
Yes most phones will allow emergency calls to be made when locked but emergency services still won't be able to access your ICE (In Case of Emergency) number. So it's a bit pointless having one with a locked phone. If you insist on having a locked phone then carry some sort of ID that lists emergency contacts and allergies. Road ID are pretty good in that respect.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
579090_10151726162356588_1181767919_n.jpg1233457_10151726162461588_2013029180_n.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting some snakes a few weeks ago in what I was assured was a controlled environment. The two "little fellas" are two metre long cobras. Charming chaps, they did everything the instructor asked and didn't launch at anyone in the crowd. The next snake the handler pulled out was a three metre king cobra, now that was impressive! The venom in one bite from a king cobra has the potential to kill nearly forty adult humans in less than an hour. Not bad huh! The handler told us that king cobra's can get up to six metres in length.............sure I said. I then ate my words a few days later when I walked into the snake house enclosure in Singapore zoo and low and behold, there lay a six metre king cobra. It's body was as round as the thickest part of your leg and the snake can stand up and flare it's neck like you see in the photo for a third of it's body length so let's just say they'd be face to face with you in the event that you were unlucky enough to be caught in that situation. That family of snakes may explain why there are bugger all mountain bike trails on the island in Thailand where I visited. The big daddy I'm holding onto is a common python that is similar to what we see here in Australia. He was a happy guy and was pretty chuffed to meet old Dozer and share some stories about having / being a large snake. ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
I've recently met two Red Bellied Black snakes on my local trails.

One gliding across the track in front of me, making me stop FAST.

And one under a rock ledge where I was doing a piss - virtually trod on it, he just made a hiss and slid away.

Scary after the fact.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great thread with important info. I think there should be a sticky about MTB safety or something. As a newb this info is very valuable because I am doing this to enjoy myself and be outside, I don't do it to be a hero and not make it home alive to ride another day. Plus I don't want to give my wife an opportunity to upgrade her husband. Have spent a lot of time researching new bike shoes and fuck all time putting together some emergency gear.

I have been playing with mapmyrun app on my smartphone that will update every predetermined distance or time. I have used it whilst running in the Blue Mts. to keep my wife updated on where as I was as I was just making my route up as I went along. I am going to give it a trail at Ourimbah XC track this week. I think that if something happens like a massive off at least someone would have a last known located for EMS to start looking.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Just came back from a trip to Sri Lanka, while I was there I ran into a snake charmer at Sigiriya (Lion rock). He had 2 Cobras, the smaller one was in it's basket still and in the box hidden behind him was a fairly large python, maybe 3 metres in length.

I'm not sure how safe it all was but he insisted I hold the python and get some photos, which I did. I have heard of stories where some snake handlers in Sri Lanka will refuse to remove the snake from you unless you pay them a hefty amount.... a hefty amount to these people is about 500 rupees (or about $4 AUS).

Capture.JPG

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Last lap of the Scott 25 hour on the weekend. Never pulled up so quickly. Brown snake maybe a couple of metres long. Scared the shit out of me, sticks aren't meant to f#&kin move.

I stop he slithered off and we both got on with our days.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
At least if you see Red Belly blacks around you won't be seeing any brown snakes as they will kill them, but I'd prefer not to see any.

Strangely enough for those that care the red bellies are in decline (not endangered by any means), as their diet mainly consists of frogs, but because of cane toads they are dying as a result of eating them.
Another myth. The reason you don't normally see them in the same place is they generally prefer different habitats but a big brown is just as likely to eat a smaller black as vise versa. And both species have been photoed happily curled up in the same burrow together.
This link below was also in the Tumut and Adelong Times 23/1/09. Looks like the snakes were similar lengths. The photo is the brown snake coming out of the red bellied black. It was eaten head first and then turned around INSIDE the black and then wriggled out by latching onto the lip of the black.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-01-27/hungry-snake-discovers-you-are-what-you-eat/274838

Attachments

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome, reminds me of when I used to go out catching snakes with a mate, and came across a Red belly regurgitating a Death Adder !

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Emergency-Beacons/PLBs

A beacon is a good idea IMO, if you are out in the middle of BF nowhere by yourself. No substitute for good planning and having a good 1st aid kit, but even if people know where you are going, they may only know where to find your corpse if you've been bitten, and it's been too long.

I would rather bring the cavalry in, than cark it unnecessarily.

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Emergency-Beacons/PLBs

A beacon is a good idea IMO, if you are out in the middle of BF nowhere by yourself. No substitute for good planning and having a good 1st aid kit, but even if people know where you are going, they may only know where to find your corpse if you've been bitten, and it's been too long.

I would rather bring the cavalry in, than cark it unnecessarily.
Big +1 there mate. I bought one when we spent a couple of weeks on Fraser island this year and now carry it pretty much everywhere. It stays in my first aid kit in the 4by, and gets taken camping, fishing, hunting and now cycling. So much peace of mind that if you activate it they know who owns it, how many people are registered to it, names ages etc. etc. and exactly where you are. My main concern was that if I got bitten or hurt out Bush, my 4 and 7 year olds need a way to raise help, it doesn't get much easier than activate and sit tight.
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It survived as I saw it slide away. Was around 4 foot long.
This was on the Ginger Meggs run WSRP.
I'll keep an eye out for that one as I ride around there too.
I take the Mrs up there too from time to time. She will commit harakiri in protest before any snake gets close.

I've seen a few blacks over the other side near the Water Tower but not for quite some time. Black don't worry me too much, they look nasty but have usually just got up an slid away. I don't want to square off with a brown snake.

oriion

Likes Dirt
This link below was also in the Tumut and Adelong Times 23/1/09. Looks like the snakes were similar lengths. The photo is the brown snake coming out of the red bellied black. It was eaten head first and then turned around INSIDE the black and then wriggled out by latching onto the lip of the black.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-01-27/hungry-snake-discovers-you-are-what-you-eat/274838
good find, i didn't bother replying back then to try and discredit anyone because some people, well, are just people :)

Benny.B

Likes Bikes
A mate and I crossed one probably 6ft long, as we were riding up one of the trails in the You-Yangs.

Stopped and let him go about his merry way. If we were hooking down the trail, could've been nasty.

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
A few months back I was going a decent speed along a rail trail, Probably like 30km/h.
Saw a snake sunning itself at the last minute and theres no way I could stop in time.
Lifted up the front wheel, And I just felt the rear suspension go over it. Perfect rebound for riding over snakes.

I'm shit scared of snakes so I didn't slow down or turn around, But I did see him slither away...

hairy1

Likes Bikes
I get a one hour break when I'm doing night shifts (usually ~2 am or so) - head out to the singletrack (which starts pretty much behind the hospital I work at) for a ride...have encountered/ridden over a couple of snakes....just makes it more exciting (in retrospect when I've finished shittingmyself)