Snakes

Gripo

Eats Squid
Thisarvo while finishing up my ride, I noticed a "shiny" stick on the neighbours footpath.....before I could grab my my phone out for a pic, the 6ft eastern brown sensed me and slithered into the neighbours yard....just got to keep your eyes pealed around here.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
holy crap...so many snake stories - they never said anything about this @ the lbs when i bought the bike!! :p

Seen a couple at Lysty, both red belly blacks. Fortunately they were off the trails and didn't seem interested. Still scares the s**t out of me, if you run over one at speed what happens to the next poor sucker coming down the trail?!!
ok now im taking notice...as thats my local
i thought i just thought i had to look out for the bastards when i stopped for a slash...will be keeping a more vigilant eye out this summer

Last edited:

cicot

Likes Dirt
I always had this urge to shit in the bush when I went mountbiking here in Italy, I don't know if it will be a healthy habit down there.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
i thought i just thought i had to look out for the bastards when i stopped for a slash...will be keeping a more vigilant eye out this summer
They sure scare the hell of you even if nothing happens. I remember accidentally running over a juvenile brown snake which was only about 20 cms long. I didn't see it in the leaf litter until the front wheel went over it then it rode up over the back tyre and fell off.

I learnt that I have a fear-of-death reflex where my legs will swing up onto the handlebars in record time :pray2:
I do look for them always when riding around the WSRP park which isn't far from the M7 cycleway. They always seem to pop up there. I've only ever seen a small adder in the Blue Mountains though.

bpow

Likes Dirt
Sunday arvo I was doing few laps on my local trail. Pulled up 2 meters from a snake on the trail. First thought it was a carpet snake as it was huge and half in the sun and shade. It sensed me and turned. I then realised it was a monster brown snake. Was huge. About 2 meters long and really round. Wasnt going to move either so went the long way around it. Heard they stay in one area. Is this true? I regularly ride the trail and dont wont to come across it again!

Flint

Likes Dirt
Last year while on a motor bike ride my mate was in front on a stretch of tar just east of Tumut heading into the mountains when he passed a brown snake, it leapt up and bit him on the foot as he passed it at 100 km/hr. I would not have believed it was possible if I didn't see it for myself. He didn't even see it as he was looking up at the top of a nearby hill we wanted to climb. He was of course wearing MX boots so he didn't feel it. When I passed it right after him I had my ankles up over the bars lol.

I saw one on the Kambah BMX track on Sunday, apparently its a resident. Also seen a few at Mt Stromlo.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Last year while on a motor bike ride my mate was in front on a stretch of tar just east of Tumut heading into the mountains when he passed a brown snake, it leapt up and bit him on the foot as he passed it at 100 km/hr. I would not have believed it was possible if I didn't see it for myself. He didn't even see it as he was looking up at the top of a nearby hill we wanted to climb. He was of course wearing MX boots so he didn't feel it. When I passed it right after him I had my ankles up over the bars lol.

I saw one on the Kambah BMX track on Sunday, apparently its a resident. Also seen a few at Mt Stromlo.
Browns are mad.

Unlike most other snakes that prefer to retreat unless cornered, Browns are unpredictable and are known for their propensity to have a go.

That and the nature of their venom make them particularly dangerous.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
geez this thread has got me so paranoid.......cant stop thinking about the possibility of a snake leaping out of the grass and attacking me whilst riding now. seriously never thought about that till i saw that youtube video posted earlier. fuck.

MTBloke

Likes Dirt
Me and a mate had brown encounter at the bottom of the Long Angle gully trail in the Blue Mountains. I pinch flatted and we had the bike upside down with the back wheel off halfway through the tube change.... next thing we hear the leaves in the gutter rustle..... look over..... yep there's a 1 meter long brown looking us in the eye..... fuck....... I unco-ordinatedly shove the tube in the tyre, jam the bead into the tyre, pump it up faster than you can imagine while old mate is just watching us.... turn the bike over and were out of there in world record time....... I think the tube change took about twice as long as it normally would for all the freaking out and its safe to say I lost my valve cap that day......

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Me and a mate had brown encounter at the bottom of the Long Angle gully trail in the Blue Mountains.
Yaaahh, that reminds me. I've seen the tail of one under a tree near Cripple Creek quite some time ago.
On the Blaxland side of the trailhead from Winnicoopa road.

I think it was a black snake, I rode past and had one of 'those' moments. It didn't seem bothered with me or anything else. Just keep your eyes opened while near creeks since they hang around there looking for lunch I guess.

As a side note, there is nice, short but fun uphill detour on the left hand side of this trail. It diverts from the main trail and then meets back with it. It is on the first uphill (I think) on the way towards Yellow Rock. No snakes seen there.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The good thing about snakes is that they aren't that dangerous compared to say, a male funnel web spider. If you bandage yourself up you may have a few hours to live from a brown snake. Get done by a funnel web, especially the male, and you're done in under 80 mins!
So, I would be checking my shoes before putting them on before freaking out about being killed by a snake.

Everyone carries a basic fist aid kit, right?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I hit a black snake today. Coming down through the bush, he was in front of log I was about to hop. I had to pull up early and just clipped him with the rear tire. Scared the crap out of me. Ive often wondered how long you'd have if you got bitten seeing your heart rate is already elevated and pumping hard.....

MTBloke

Likes Dirt
The Venom in Brown snakes (and I think most venomous creatures) travels in the lymphatic system which is the system of hormones and all that "stuff". As far as I know, the flow of "stuff" though this system does not increase with physical activity........ So at least you've got some sort of a chance?

Mr Crudley........ Cheers for the heads up, we usually ride from Yellow Rock to Blaxland and then train it back, as we live in Winmalee, but I'll keep a look out for that side track next time I ride there, hopefully if its a fun uphill, its an even funner downhill ;)

By the looks of that picture, I hope I never encounter on of those nasty looking things :scared:

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I did i took that photo showed the park rangers they were not even aware of what it was. I told the ranger the following week about how poisonous it was they were shocked .

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The Venom in Brown snakes (and I think most venomous creatures) travels in the lymphatic system which is the system of hormones and all that "stuff". As far as I know, the flow of "stuff" though this system does not increase with physical activity........ So at least you've got some sort of a chance?
Exercise does increase lymphatic circulation, there are a few exercises for lymphoedema based on the principle when muscles contract they put mechanical pressure onto the lymph system resulting in increased flow. As far as I am aware this occurs separate from heart rate (?). So as long as you stop riding and walking, do the normal compression bandaging and/or just lie still and relaxed (if that's possible) having a high heart rate initially should not be a concern. I'll wager everyone that gets bitten has a high HR!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The mouse spider is also related to the thunel web and is just as poisonous. But not really known about.
red headed mouse spider has to be the coolest/freakiest spider out there. Females look like a fat funnelweb with shorter legs and bigger fangs. Males... Well the pic speaks for itself