Stromlo Upgrade approved

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
While the main climb and Skyline are now boring AF, had a couple of nice rides at Stromlo this weekend.

Really love the section Caroline's into Triple Treat into Wallaby run (not sure where one starts, where one ends, but right-most trail after the Vapour/Skyline bridge).

The e-bikes are creeping in now though.. And guys with bluetooth speakers playing shitty dance music..

Hoping for Majura's speedy recovery.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Signed as well.

WTF is it with people opting for speakers over earphones??!!

I have word earphones since I started riding, I haven't gone under a car and I haven't held anyone up on a trail yet.

Fuck you and your need for me to suffer your choice of music and overall presence. Eat your fucking noise cube, child.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
(although not much worse than the cyclocross fellas I nearly wiped out standing in the middle of western wedgetail on saturday morning).
Ha, I bet that was the bloke I was playing tour guide to. His first ever time at Stromlo, I think he is off to buy a mountain bike.

In his defence though, the whole main climb and descent down Skyline is perfectly fine on a CX bike these days - that's the problem!! He only stopped on the little drop off on wedgetail because I told him to watch out for it... He was a nice bloke, new to Canberra, new to cycling and I was certainly encouraging his efforts and giving some advice on what he should look for in a new MTB.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So there is a trail building day for two new trails. There is a Facebook page, maybe someone who uses that thing can post some details about it?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1880677481968603/
It really fucks me off when this kind of info is not only limited to face book, but even closed off to people who can't log in.

I've done a bit of searching on the topic in recent months, and emailed the trail builders only to be ignored entirely.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Shhhhhh, don’t rage. Sign up and let zuch sell you to political parties for targetted marketing.

Its fine

Haakon

Do you access the new bits from the Sparrow trail head, or is it from the camp site side?
From the junction area at the top of Stairway to Heaven, Lickity Split and Sideshow. Its the same entrance to Kowalskis Beer Garden as before. Most of Beer Garden is back, (although that awesome super fast dip the gully is gone..) then its just a matter of following the 9km loop that brings you back to the gate. There is some good stuff in there.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hmmm, I just seem to remember last time I went to Kowen there was a sign saying Stairway etc was accessed from the other trail head. Maybe that was a temporary thing, but there wasn't a long loop there so I've done Sparrow the last couple of times Ive gone

Haakon

Stairway is as it ever was from either end (ie a long slog up I still cant do without dabbing at least twice...) But at that gate at the top there is a new sign explaining the new trail - get out there, its well worth the effort!