DH Sunday Rebuild Thread - Finished

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Awesome, it will be good to see the green against the black since I can't get mine painted until GripSport are done with it, which should be the second half of September. :(

Might make me motivated/excited again, hah.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I had to go green and black, because Ironhorse. The green is getting sprayed first before the black, I might head down there tomorrow and have a look to see if the green is done and get a photo for you to see it.

EDIT: Saves posting another reply, K9 reducer cups arrived this afternoon, cheers to Al from Pushie Industries again for that. Every part has now arrived and it's ready to go as soon as it's back from paint.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Got a photo for you Ezkaton, keeping in mind this is after it's been sanded back for the black to go on top. It looks pretty flat, and shitty phone camera quality, so I guess the 'truest' colour in this photo is in the gusseting around the shock, it's lime but not over the top bright green. It's definitely the green I was looking for, will contrast really nicely with the black.

EDIT: Should note, all the scratches from the rack and years of abuse are gone, the dents have been filled and it really is a 'holy shit' feeling seeing her not so haggard.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Weird, it looks more pastel in the pic.

The bit I sprayed onto some paper from my can looks more saturated.
Colors come through nicer once there's clear on top as well though I guess.

The black I did for my rear triangle looked like a dark grey unless you were out in sunlight.
Once I put the clear over it, the black looks really deep and dark.

Interested to see the contrast against the black, and again once it's clear coated... (and in focus :p).

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Yeah it really was very different in person, and it was sitting in an unlit corner of the building so what can you do. At the end of the day green and black are green and black I'll be happy. Now I'm just trying to find the right bearings for the k9 cups

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Al pointed me in the direction of getting an IS-3 headset from cane creek and getting the bearing out of that, but if I can just get the codes and buy them when I grab the rest of the bearings it will work out cheaper. Dirt works are selling what I think are the right ones for ~$40 but the rest of the frame bearings are ~$5 each, just trying to save where I can. Have a mate who just bought K9 cups but for a tapered headtube and used old bearings from a set of 1.5" cups so me thinks he should have a spare cup with the bearing in it??

I have everything bar bearings and I might get every bolt replaced, a lot of the heads of the bolts are pretty worn out and new might make the long run easier if I change anything. So given the progress I'm not holding my breath to have the paint finished this week but next weekend for sure, and regardless if it's finished on a Monday it's getting built of a Friday night.

I've been watching your Moorwood as well, it's good to see the old girls getting a breath of new life.

EDIT: Again, saves double post,

The chain guide is a bit dodgy, the top guide is snapped and my effort to keep it going was tightening the shit out of it and applying a bit of heat to try and melt it back together. Just saw that the Csixx guide with all its carbon glory comes in green, so I've been convinced. Sad, I know. Chain stay cover comes in green as well, wanted to somehow refresh the original but it's long gone, so these should look pretty good. I don't think the guide will be an immediate thing but the cover certainly will be.

150-range.jpg
4482-image.jpeg

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I have a cSixx 150 in black, and I'm getting 2 green cSixx chainstay protectors with my bars this month.
Considered a green guide, but the green isn't the right shade for my OCD so I went for black.

I've also gone to the trouble of getting new bolts, a new thru-axle and main pivot straight from Morewood, new derailleur hanger, new EnduroMAX bearings...

It appears we have similar tastes! :0

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Haha, it's looking like that. But my wheels are bigger than yours!

What's the go with enduro max bearings? I just went on ridemonkey and got all the bearing codes I needed and only one of them is an enduro max?

The chainstay cover I just thought about, I might have to cut two sections out to go over the cable routing, if I could get an original horse one that'd be better but fat chance I'll find one.

I think the green will be green enough for me, but pricey. might stick with the old LG1 for now, every now and then it just falls apart and holds the chain, quick fix but a bit of a PITA.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Old codes hazza. Just get all if them as MAX. DIYMTB.com.au has full Sunday sets. They express post too.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
What's the go with enduro max bearings?
Stronger and more durable for suspension pivots apparently.
I plan on replacing my stock (and untouched for 2.5 years) Trance bearings with a set next week.
I've read they even give everything a much nicer feel.

The chainstay cover I just thought about, I might have to cut two sections out to go over the cable routing, if I could get an original horse one that'd be better but fat chance I'll find one.
Yep, I plan on getting 2 and cutting out 2 holes for the cable routing on the seat stay protector - as I've seen done on other Makulu. :)

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Or just order the ones you need if full set not necessary.
Full set definitely needed, they're all pretty fucked and if they weren't while they were in the frame, they were after I bashed em out.

Yep, I plan on getting 2 and cutting out 2 holes for the cable routing on the seat stay protector - as I've seen done on other Makulu. :)
Hmmm, two. Didn't consider seat stays. I never really noticed much damage on the seat stays before, your stays are very low whereas the Sunday stays are a bit more out of the way. I might just go with the one, for now. Now I'm just sitting here choosing the csixx 150gm or the 175gm. Full bashy or just the bottom bash bit. I've worked out the BB on this bike will be lowwww, so maybe that extra protection will be worth it over looks, but, looks are good and good looks look the goods.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
http://www.diymtb.com.au/displayItems.asp?cid=90

$80 express posted for a full set of enduro max bearings. This guy is fantastic!

You won't damage seatstays on the Sunday frame so one will be fine.
I can't pass that up, it's a little more but if they're all enduro and I don't need codes I'm happy. Rather pay more to know I'm getting the right stuff. I didn't think I'd hurt the stays too much, looked at some old photos of the bike and can't see much damage there at all, and if it does get a bit messed up, stickers.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
South Penrith smash repairs, from what I can see so far its a quality job.

Just sorted bearings for the headset, ordering the Sunday frame bearings this afternoon, cheers for the link.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Sundayers, what's a good source for Sunday frame bolt torque values? I have a fairly official looking diagram from sicklines (it looks like I can't copy the link). Some of the values appear to be really high (none of the values are in Nm). I snapped a bolt following these values.

If the 2007 Sunday diagram from sicklines is correct maybe I'll need to be a little less cackhanded.