The Chilli Thread!

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Sweet! How the hell do I reduce the amount of nitrogen it's getting? What's it in??
Hey mate. Limited amount of knowledge here but the nitrogen (N) referred to is found in the soil and is responsible for stimulating plant/leaf growth. The element responsible for flower health is phosphorous (P) which is also found in soil, and lastly potassium (K) for root growth. If you are using potting mix the NPK ratio is labelled to give you an idea of what mixture of elements are contained. If the nitrogen is too high Google plant symptoms to see if you get a match. A thorough watering will solve the problem. If the plants have a potassium deficiency then you can adjust accordingly. Hope this helps.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
My largest chilli plant got eaten by something and the little seedlings I planted probably 2 months ago are still only a couple of inches tall, its as if they stopped growing altogether! Need to find out what's eating the larger plants.
Hey Stirk
Do you have possums where you live?
My plants kept mysteriously getting eaten until one night I spotted one munching on it. Fruit and all. Now all I'm left with is a Bonsai chilli plant and a resident possum with a taste for Habenero

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Adding more K won't reduce the amount of N. It needs to be flushed out. If your using a fresh soil mix with loads of chicken or hot stable manure then there isn't much you can do other than wait or replant.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I neglected my super hot seedlings for a week and they all perished... Oops. My other plants are going nicely however the fruit doesn't seem to want to turn red, sometimes dying and falling off before changing from green. Any ideas what my other plants are lacking?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I neglected my super hot seedlings for a week and they all perished... Oops. My other plants are going nicely however the fruit doesn't seem to want to turn red, sometimes dying and falling off before changing from green. Any ideas what my other plants are lacking?
If you post up a picture I could have a guess. I need to be able to see the top growing shoot and some older leaves.

indica

Serial flasher
I throw chillies on the BBQ regularly and smoke 'em.
Fuck me it is good.
Although 2 choc habs in a salsa is apparently too many.

I have so many nagas they are just falling to the ground.

Excess chillies freeze well. Or make fermented chilli sauce.

Come to think of it fermented smoked chilli sauce may well be the duck's nuts...

Zam

Likes Dirt
Excess chillis do freeze really well, i have a heap of thai and jolokia chillis in freezer bags in the freezer, just make sure when you use them after they have been frozen i find its best to cut and use them when they are still frozen coz they can go a little squishy when the defrost.

Also i plan on making some hot sauce this year from my crop just to see how things go and will also dry a heap and make chilli flakes for the year.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Not much but a nice little harvest of orange habs and jalapenos.
uploadfromtaptalk1452992418558.jpg

My Zimbabwean birds eyes, penis peppers and bishops crown have started to fruit, still waiting on the naga bon, pink 7 pot and chilli jays red.

indica

Serial flasher
Not much but a nice little harvest of orange habs and jalapenos.
Habs are the best thing ever.
So hot yet so nice.
Nagas just fuck with me for little return.
I just love the fruity brutal burn of a Hab. Fresh, roasted, smoked lovely lovely stuff.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you guys played the game built into the Google image today? Pretty lame but a good work distraction.

My little habanero plant delivered two lovelies this morning, still a way off the old plant that delivered bowls and bowls every few weeks, but it's a start.

stirk

Burner
I just got slapped by a jalapeño!

These are not supposed to be very hot based on previous experience with little green ones that seem to be the 'standard'.

Bought some big red and green to turning red ones from the markets today to heat up a vindaloo I'm making for my work teams 'pot luck' lunch. Pot luck lunch is where everyone brings a dish.

My team are going to hate me! :evil:

Mwhahahaaaaa.

IMG_20160228_202011.jpg

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Mine are pissing me off, not sure what the hell is causing it but I seem to be losing all my fruit just before it ripens. They go a bit brownish/opaque and soft. Most just drop off the plant. Can't seem to stop it and have lost soo much fruit it hurts

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Mine are pissing me off, not sure what the hell is causing it but I seem to be losing all my fruit just before it ripens. They go a bit brownish/opaque and soft. Most just drop off the plant. Can't seem to stop it and have lost soo much fruit it hurts
My first guess would be irregular watering. Keep the soil moist but not wet, don't let them dry then drown them. I'd love to be able to grow them like you can up north, your season is so much longer but I can grow apricots to make an awesome sauce with my chillies.

Yesterday I made a huge batch of jalapeno and rats tail sauce. I charred the skin of the jalapenos to give it a smokey flavour added some lime juice and a small amount of garlic with 2% salt.. Now I just have to let it ferment for a couple of weeks. I tasted it as is and I'm pretty chuffed. It's pretty hot and the flavour is only going to get better.

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
It could also have something to do with the soil and nutrients, i had a similar issue or plants flowers but not fruiting completely, it was suggested i use some pot ash which i did and started fruiting and ended up with a reasonable harvest of habs without being fantastic.

Also with watering, i find if you water the plants too much you get some great growth but a similar issue to what you have and heaps of fruit but not very hot chillis, try watering the plants and then wait till the leaves start to wilt a little before watering again, without drowning the plants when watering.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Well, a bit of love, a good feed, herbicide and pesticide, then monitored with very little watering (we got enough rain) and things are looking up!! Even got my 6mth old penis pepper plant to deliver its first ever fruit (it's just started to grow) :)

Sadly, the ones that were transplanted from the veggie patch due to probability of getting trampled by my partners father building a new retaining wall aren't doing too well. Will give them some more love tomorrow...