The Chilli Thread!

Hew

Likes Dirt
Some great looking chillis in here. Would love to get into making some chilli sauce. Have experimented before, but would be great to go down the chilli oil route.

Anyway, I figure one of you guys would know. A friend of mine gave me a bag of these, which I've never seen before. She says they're too hot for her and she only grows them for aesthetic reasons. Any ideas what they are? I asked her and she just said 'Black chillis!"

stirk

Burner
While I wait for my chilli's to grow it's great Coles has a good variety for once!

Picked up some habs, Carolina reaper and a few other milder ones. I hope this chilli sale is permanent.

IMG_20160515_142841.jpg

Edit: thought Bulgarian orange chilli would be mild, thought wrong as I munch into a big chunk.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
^^^ so jealous I have been fortunate enough that Coles have had a decent supply of chilli's.

I've got a bad of habs before the special runs out so am looking for the best way to keep them over the winter for a good ready supply of tasty heat.

Freezing or blitzed in oil seems to be the best option or make a bloody hot chilli jam. Leaning toward the jam.

Any awesome personal recipes for preserving the chilli?

stirk

Burner
U mean a chilli sauce recipe?
Yeah kind of, looking for good ways to preserve the chilli for future cooking use but not simply freezing or storing in oil.

I'll try something like this and see how it goes.

1kg fresh tomatoes chopped
1 clove garlic
4cm chunk of ginger
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 to 1/3 cup of brown sugar, don't make it too sweet
1 red onion chopped and slowly caramelized in a good lug of olive oil
15 to 20 habaneros or similar quantity of hot chilli

Cook the lot down till jammy

I figure this should be quite hot, if not add more chilli till firey, throw this into curries, stirfry or spread on toast.

I'll make it tonight.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few thoughts as my ring burns from Indian spices, I think your sugar is about 10x higher than it needs to be but could be your preference. also for preservation next time consider garlic flakes as raw garlic can apparently lead to botulism and screw up your sauce. I'd skip the tomatoes and onion and sub in 1cup of tomato sauce. Just my preference with chilli sauce. Might even add a splash of worcestershire, pinch of salt. I generally cook half and add the other raw half in towards the end. Jammy and spicey. Clean the bottles and place a little pool of vinegar on the top surface. And don't give too much away!

stirk

Burner
So mad, my only two producing plants have been stripped of leaves and chilli.

How the fuck do possums like eating chilli!!!!!!!!!

All plants which are not fruiting have been left alone thankfully.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Ive made a few fermented chili sauces.
I de-stem the chilies, blitz them in a blender with garlic, weigh the final paste, mix 2% of final weight in sea salt. place in a super clean bucket and cover with chux cloth. Leave it there for like 4 weeks in a cool place, checking to make sure no white mold is present. once fermentation has stopped. pass through a fine sieve. I adjust consistency with a little xantham gum and apple cider vinegar.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuck off.....
Where did you read tht?
Interwebs while searching for sauces. Apologies if you knew of this - basically a bacteria that if kept in low oxygen environments, with poor preparation, can lead to it spreading throughout. And that bacteria is known to exist in raw garlic.

"Garlic bulbs can pick up the bacteria that cause botulism from the soil. Storing garlic or any other low-acid vegetable in oxygen-free conditions at room temperature can encourage the growth of the toxins responsible for food-borne botulism, a dangerous illness."

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to fck it up, but it can and has happened, more commonly with commercial canneries, even of canned chili sauces. And if you use dried goods - zero chance.

Alternatively I spose you could cook the shit out of it, sterilise the bottles with boiling water, and keep refridgerated. Fck, I do that anyway.

indica

Serial flasher
Found it. Basically a lacto ferment like a sauerkraut etc.

Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies

1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.

>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day (or two, liquid comes out and you need this for the ferment)

>Put all in a container with 1 cup water

>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down. (try to keep the chillies submerged. White film on top is good and just what you want)

>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Frank’s RedHot–Style Pepper Sauce: Purée a half clove of garlic (or more to taste) with ⅓ to ½ cup pepper mash and ½ cup vinegar in a blender.
Texas Pete–Style Pepper Sauce: To make a vinegary pepper sauce like Texas Pete, use ⅔ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Crystal-Style Pepper Sauce: To make a thicker pepper sauce like Crystal, use ⅓ cup vinegar to ½ cup pepper mash.
Asian-Flavored Pepper Sauce: Add ⅓ cup to ½ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar with garlic to ½ cup pepper mash.

The famous Huy Fong Rooster Brand Sriracha Sauce is made in California from red jalapeños. It is named after the hot sauces of the Thai coastal town of Sri Racha. The Thai Sri Racha sauces are thinner and runnier than the American version, which is very close to the consistency of ketchup. You can make your own Sriracha sauce with fresh chiles, if you like, but it doesn’t last very long in the refrigerator. Most people agree the fermented version tastes much better; it also lasts a lot longer. + If you have some fermented pepper mash on hand, it’s easy to make your own homemade fermented Sriracha sauce. And since you don’t need as much vinegar, you will probably like the homemade version better than the stuff in the bottle.
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed fresh red chiles or Fermented Pepper Mash
2 garlic cloves
Combine the sugars with the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugars dissolve. Allow the vinegar mixture to cool. Combine the vinegar mixture with the mash and garlic and purée in a blender until very smooth. Strain to remove any grit or large particles. Store the sauce in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks if made with fresh chiles, or for up to 6 months if made with fermented chiles.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Hey Chilli Gurus,

Looking at growing my own chilli's and making my chilli jam, pastes and oil. Just wondering if someone could give us a quick run down on where to start. Few questions though.

Can you successfully grow chillis in a Pot only, if garden space is 0?
Ive noticed garlic in nearly every recipe, do you have to add it, if you don't like garlic?
Is now (May) in Ipswich, QLD a good climate/time of the year to try and grow chillis?

Thanks!

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Bloody possum ate every plant last night! Been growing from seed for the last 4 months. Native food must be scarce. Fence building time!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Don't need garlic.
Pots are fine.
Do you get frost? If so don't if not do.
No frosts, can can get to 0 once or twice a winter though. But I could move the pots under the patio of an evening on those freak days. Would this be ok?