The Chilli Thread!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
My trinidad scorpions are dying.
They got a thick crunchy frost about two weeks ago so I went and got a big walk-in plastic green house for em. The leaves are going yellow and falling off and just leaving a stick in the middle.

Only got about 5 left from 20. Any suggestions? It's their first winter.

Naga morich, Bhut Jolokia, Morouga, Scotch Bonnet are all fine. It's just the scorpions having a freak out in the cold weather.

indica

Serial flasher

They may be too wet. My Hab's lose leaves - they turn yello - when they are too wet, other than that bring them in at night to keep them warm.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They got a thick crunchy frost about two weeks ago so I went and got a big walk-in plastic green house for em. The leaves are going yellow and falling off and just leaving a stick in the middle.

Naga morich, Bhut Jolokia, Morouga, Scotch Bonnet are all fine. It's just the scorpions having a freak out in the cold weather.
If the stems/branches still look alive and green they may still bounce back. My plants almost always drop their leaves when I prune them back and within 4-6 weeks they come back looking more lush and green than ever.

Most of my plants are just starting to get their first fruit for the season here on the NSW south coast. I'm just about out of dried and frozen chillies from last season so they can't come soon enough!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Wow, some serious chilli peeps here.

My own attempts at growing a few birds eyes have been rather lame. Any tips for a brown thumb?

Had them in one of those self watering planter boxes but they never grew well or fruited and had sickly yellow leaves. I just transferred them into individual pots, not the self watering ones this time.

Asterope

Likes Dirt
Nope sorry.
They rock fresh in a salsa BTW - mint, olive oil, tomato... yummy!
*prepares to make herself sick on 1/2 kilo of fresh habanero salsa* :high5:

Brisneyland - now that it has decided to stop raining and start warming up in Brisbane, you should see some improvement in your plants. The only thing you need to watch out for is sucking insects now (mealybugs, aphids etc) and stay on top of them!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I'm about to have my first crack at growing some chillies, got some seeds on the way for Bhut Jalokia, Naga and Habaneros. Will be intersting to see how hot these are.

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Finally dried and stored some seeds from the chilli's you sent Indica :)
Going to try my luck at growing my first plant, I'll let you know how it goes.
Any recommendations on the pot size for 1 plant?

Thanks again!

willsy01

Eats Squid
*prepares to make herself sick on 1/2 kilo of fresh habanero salsa* :high5:

Brisneyland - now that it has decided to stop raining and start warming up in Brisbane, you should see some improvement in your plants. The only thing you need to watch out for is sucking insects now (mealybugs, aphids etc) and stay on top of them!
Mine have been hit by aphids a couple of times. My brother put me onto this stuff:

http://www.yates.com.au/products/pe...s/yates-mavrik-chewing-sucking-insect-killer/

Works a treat. I get a strange satisfaction out of spraying them and watching them fall off :)

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had any problems with possums eating their plants? I had some yellow haberneros seedlings that were taking off only to find them one morning munched down to the stalk. There was no evidence of slugs or snails so the only other thing I can think of is possums. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

donny70

Likes Dirt
Our plant of Birdseye chillies was a good sized bush. Heard the possum feet on the roof one night and the next day the plant was a few twigs and a stump.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Might not be the thread for it but I am trying anyway!
I am after some of this hot/chilli sauce?
My brother got it somewhere in South America and it's the last bottle!!
I don't plan on an overseas trip just to pick up a bottle of sauce, so I'm asking here if anyone knows where I can get it in Aus???

cheers

EDIT holy heck those original images were large...
image(3).jpegimage.jpegimage(1).jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Asterope

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had any problems with possums eating their plants? I had some yellow haberneros seedlings that were taking off only to find them one morning munched down to the stalk. There was no evidence of slugs or snails so the only other thing I can think of is possums. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Yes - used to all the time when we lived a bit more 'cityish' and had to set up lattice/mesh cages around our chillies/tomatoes/herbs to stop them eating the lot. They don't like basil at all so try planting some of that around them perhaps? and a few gardens stakes with bird netting draped over keeps them out.