The Fixie Thread

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Of those people that are running front brakes, which brakes have you found to have the shortest arms?
I want to do the unthinkable and drill a track frame front and rear for a single speeder setup...something i can ride on those days when i dont feel like pedalling too much.
Don't worry about a rear brake, you won't need one. Alien bikes have brakes with super short arms to fit their forks which look to be super tight. Scroll down on this page:

http://www.alienbikes.com/gear.php

'Ross

Eats Squid
DO worry about a rear brake
Exactly, I've been running SS rear brake only for a few months, only had one caliper and cbf buying another one....front only is a joke option for dumb hipsters, front and rear is ideal.

You can get clamp on kits for the rear seatstay as well, does not damage the frame either. If its for the RAM? I wouldn't drill it, but if you have another 'crappier' frame might as well just smash some holes into it.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
The one brake thing I guess is relative to how and where you ride, if it is super steep and you seeing yourself get up to high speeds on a regular basis, then yeah... go for the rear as well. But for me when I was riding ss I never came across the situation as to when I needed more braking power and was never in danger of going over the bars.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Exactly, I've been running SS rear brake only for a few months, only had one caliper and cbf buying another one....front only is a joke option for dumb hipsters, front and rear is ideal.

You can get clamp on kits for the rear seatstay as well, does not damage the frame either. If its for the RAM? I wouldn't drill it, but if you have another 'crappier' frame might as well just smash some holes into it.
I have no issues with drilling the ram. I'm never going to sell it, so I'm not really tarnishing it for future owners.
BUT I am keeping an eye out for something else so I can save the ram from the drill.

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Back brakes are rubbish, most of the braking is done from front brake.. If you have to stop quick you chuck the anchor on and move you weight waaay back of the rear tyre... oposite of skidding on a fixie... You'll stop fine :D

Rear brake will help but seriously, it doesn't do tooo much...

What i cringe at is people who ride SS with only a rear brake - now thats silly... Unless they have a coaster brake (those things are wicked)