The Fixie Thread

spewyogrady

Likes Dirt
second time lucky.......

Finally got around to doing up the Council clean-up Zeus that's been hanging in the garage for the last year.
Unfortunately the left hand side crank arm has a hairline crack.
Does anyone have a left hand side, fluted, plain, campag/zeus style crankarm - square taper -170mm lying around???
Or know of where I can get one without trolling though ebay for months???
Thanks for your assistance.
Also can anyone recommend where I can get a good quality/good value fixed gear rear wheel??? once again can't be bothered trolling around on ebay/cell/velo-gear whatever...Unfortunately I think the postage costs for Velo Orange for large items are a bit prohibitive...:fat:

HLC

Likes Dirt
Finally got around to doing up the Council clean-up Zeus that's been hanging in the garage for the last year.
Unfortunately the left hand side crank arm has a hairline crack.
Does anyone have a left hand side, fluted, plain, campag/zeus style crankarm - square taper -170mm lying around???
Or know of where I can get one without trolling though ebay for months???
Thanks for your assistance.
Also can anyone recommend where I can get a good quality/good value fixed gear rear wheel??? once again can't be bothered trolling around on ebay/cell/velo-gear whatever...Unfortunately I think the postage costs for Velo Orange for large items are a bit prohibitive...:fat:
If you couldn't be bothered trawling the net, go to your nearest bike shop and ask them to order a velocity deep v/b43/aerohead or whatever for you. You will pay through the nose, but hey not my money.

If you want a good value wheel for a good price, then trawl eBay or velomine or wiggle/ribble/CRC where there are plenty of choices for very reasonable prices.

And if you are worried about postage and you find some wheels at cell that aren't quando, just go to their shop on parra road at enmore/stanmore and pick it up.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Hey Mr Sheen

I wouldn't recommend getting an External BB crankset for a fixed gear. Two reasons 1) Ex BBs have poorer sealing and thus wear out quicker than sealed bearing Square Taper / Isis / Octalink BBs. 2) you have bugger all ability to manipulate your chainline.

Your chainline is dependant on the hubs that you end up using and if you switch hubs your chainline will inevitably change too. Get a square taper BB that way you can adjust your chainline by swapping out the BB for one with a longer or shorter spindle.

If you're on a budget I'd look at getting a Roselli crankset (classic track 144BCD, 1/8 pitch) - you can get them from Gear Brisbane
or Sugino RD (JIS, 130BCD, 3/32 pitch) - this is a good budget crankset but not really track.
or if you have a little more money the Miche Primato ones are really good and also come in black (144BCD, 1/8 pitch, ISO ST BB).

165mm cranks are advisable for fixed gears.

Hope this helps.

takai

Eats Squid
Just fixed up my old $60 pub bike that i scored a bent wheel on courtesy of a douchebag.

Also relevant to the wheel discussion as that pair of wheels was only $80. Had to compress the rear of the frame though from a 135mm spacing to a 120mm. Its under a bit of tension but it should survive :distrust:

The wheels are from Reid cycles, not bad weight although still a fairly cheap rim with average welding of the hoop.

HLC

Likes Dirt
Hey Mr Sheen

I wouldn't recommend getting an External BB crankset for a fixed gear. Two reasons 1) Ex BBs have poorer sealing and thus wear out quicker than sealed bearing Square Taper / Isis / Octalink BBs. 2) you have bugger all ability to manipulate your chainline.

Your chainline is dependant on the hubs that you end up using and if you switch hubs your chainline will inevitably change too. Get a square taper BB that way you can adjust your chainline by swapping out the BB for one with a longer or shorter spindle.

If you're on a budget I'd look at getting a Roselli crankset (classic track 144BCD, 1/8 pitch) - you can get them from Gear Brisbane
or Sugino RD (JIS, 130BCD, 3/32 pitch) - this is a good budget crankset but not really track.
or if you have a little more money the Miche Primato ones are really good and also come in black (144BCD, 1/8 pitch, ISO ST BB).

165mm cranks are advisable for fixed gears.

Hope this helps.
A lot of people run SRAM Omniums on their street and track bikes with no real issues...

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Heyo,

Anyone trying to get rid of a fixie/ss reasonably cheap? Don't hae the time to build one up unfortunately.
Edit: Anyone know anything about Reid Cycles bikes? They hae some incredibly good deals...
Alternatiely can anyone else point out some brands I should look into? There seem to be a tonne floating round.

Also, I heard a rumour that Brisbane was rethinking it's helmet laws a while ago - truth?

Last edited:

potato

Likes Dirt
I can sell you a steel track frame with weinmann deep v rims, pake cranks and whatever bar / stem combo you fancy for $500

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Still trying to shift my Fuji track frame. If you PM and tell me you saw it in this thread, you can have it for $100+post. Link is in the sig.