The Hardtail Downhill Thread.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clips are brilliant, but they take a bit of commitment to get used to em (doesn't take long though). I've always been able to unclip mid-air despite what people say. Plus clips will probably prevent lots of crashes.

Most Wellgo pedals are actually pretty good, the b54 and the MG-1 are good. But if they aren't that new pedals n shoes will make a big difference. Most people run 5.10s. I think they are good, but only marginally better than a lot of other shoes. I like Vans myself. So much more comfy, but still grippy.
I switch between MG-1's and Shiman DX's.

I dont even realy have a formula like "Its steep rocky and hard so ill wear flats or " its got alot of pedaling so ill clip" I mean these thing matter but it really just comes down to what I'm feelin on the day.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
If your new to mtb you might find it difficult at first to stay on flats because other cycling doesn't really throw you around so much (i.e. bmx, some cross country, etc). I'd suggest sticking with flats for the short term, if only because a set of clips and suitable shoes is going to set you back a reasonable amount of money.

In my personal opinion starting out on flats gives a rider a much better grounding for riding - if you watch a bmx race you can often tell the guys who have ridden clips all their lives compared to those who started on flats, and continue to train on flats. The clip guys are generally nowhere near as smooth and rely a lot on their legs being clamped to the bike to move around in the air. They tend to be more unstable and more prone to crashing.

Please don't take this as an "OMG clips fail" post, because it isn't, but there are definite benefits in sticking with them short term

LowDrag

Likes Dirt
Gradually changing dj bike to a somewhat dh setup,got some manitou's on it,for fair old forks they work really well,crowns are a bit how's your father though,might make some new beefier ones up at work.

apologies for the quality

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
i went riding today and was playing with tyre presures. . . which lead me to the question. what presures do u guys run? cheers mb

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i went riding today and was playing with tyre presures. . . which lead me to the question. what presures do u guys run? cheers mb
I believe this was one of the first things covered. For me I found that 28psi front and 32 rear seemed pretty perfect with tubes. I found it near impossible to pinch flat and still didn't bounce, even on rocky tracks. When I was tubless or on a smoother track I rode 22 psi front 26 rear.

FLE: Get it built :p I want to see it mate.

fairy1

Banned
20PSI front 23 rear and I'm 100kg, rim shape will be the main foctor on how low you can go before the pinch flats begin.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
I try and stay around 30 - 40psi front and rear, I'm running Nevengal tyres with tubes on Sun SOS rims and find if I go any lower than 30 it's pinch flat city. I weigh around 85kg or so for reference.

song

Likes Dirt
bighair,
i really really really hope that your seat is only that high because its on the workstand..:p

i'm honestly considering taking my seat off entirely when i ride dh on my hardtail, find it has no use other than a testicle crusher.

i totally agree!

FLE

Likes Dirt
I believe this was one of the first things covered. For me I found that 28psi front and 32 rear seemed pretty perfect with tubes. I found it near impossible to pinch flat and still didn't bounce, even on rocky tracks. When I was tubless or on a smoother track I rode 22 psi front 26 rear.

FLE: Get it built :p I want to see it mate.
she built and running like a dream mate ill post up pics when i come back from holidays (as i have no internet and cant take it with me :( ) but its awsome! only have to change the rims and forks........

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
Gday

Well i recentley got this Advanti Hotdog off a mate for a great price.

Now i had hoped to have enough coin to get a Reign X but thats not going to happen, and seeing that im going to hang on to this for another year id like to make some upgrades to it, Ive got $1200 to throw at it.

Is it even worth building it up?
I do pretty much every kind of riding, from day XC stuff with mates on daisy hill to chasing mates (gamblers and demo 8's) down steeper stuff/north shore's etc etc.

It allready has:

-Da bomb predals
-Protaper Bar
-Minions
-Lock on ODI's
-Chain guide (home made)
-Bash ring

I was thinking of adding:

- 160mm fork (i reckon triples would look horn :D)
- New stronger wheels
- Avid Disc Brakes
- New stem
- New shifter (old one is destroyed)
- Can you get rear derailer's rebuilt????
- Cranks (the old ones have a slight bend in them)

Cheers Guys

eddy78

Squid
my HT DH setup..

OK i'm a bit late with this post as I have now moved from HT to dual suspension and have now sold my bike but I did ride HT DH for a few years (racing as well) and this is the setup I eventually settled on through about 3 differant frames. Santa Cruz Chameleon (Long) with Pikes and a full saint setup, e'13 lg1, hope hubs and mavic 729m rims. I used Straitline for stems and pedals, SDG ibeam saddles and seatposts and funn full on bars. The most important modification I made to stock was to run and single speed hub out back with just 5 gears instead of 9. Pretty similar to some of the 4X setups you see now and for racing, man did it make it sweet.

Blythy

Likes Dirt
Yeah...im a downhill hardtail rep...good hardtailers have twice the amount of skill of duallie riders...i have a santa cruz jackal with a norco manik build kit off tbsm...once i get a bit more kanga i hope to upgrade from my 55r's to a 180 mm fork and get some mtx's, fro tyres and downhill hubs ect...im a small bloke so the short wheelbase of the jackal and the low top tube suits me perfectly...the frame allows me to rip through berms and launch over doubles with ease...hardtailers...respect...

Blythy

Likes Dirt
Gday

Well i recentley got this Advanti Hotdog off a mate for a great price.

Now i had hoped to have enough coin to get a Reign X but thats not going to happen, and seeing that im going to hang on to this for another year id like to make some upgrades to it, Ive got $1200 to throw at it.

Is it even worth building it up?
I do pretty much every kind of riding, from day XC stuff with mates on daisy hill to chasing mates (gamblers and demo 8's) down steeper stuff/north shore's etc etc.

It allready has:

-Da bomb predals
-Protaper Bar
-Minions
-Lock on ODI's
-Chain guide (home made)
-Bash ring

I was thinking of adding:

- 160mm fork (i reckon triples would look horn :D)
- New stronger wheels
- Avid Disc Brakes
- New stem
- New shifter (old one is destroyed)
- Can you get rear derailer's rebuilt????
- Cranks (the old ones have a slight bend in them)

Cheers Guys
not worth it mate...if u got 1200 sell the avanti and buy a norco sasquatch...they pretty much got everything u need for dh ht exept for a chainguide

Davo94

Likes Dirt
not worth it mate...if u got 1200 sell the avanti and buy a norco sasquatch...they pretty much got everything u need for dh ht exept for a chainguide
Yeah, Sassy's are good my mate got one for around $900

The most important modification I made to stock was to run and single speed hub out back with just 5 gears instead of 9. Pretty similar to some of the 4X setups you see now and for racing, man did it make it sweet.
It also makes a stronger wheel by having no dish.

Blythy

Likes Dirt
Clips are brilliant, but they take a bit of commitment to get used to em (doesn't take long though). I've always been able to unclip mid-air despite what people say. Plus clips will probably prevent lots of crashes.

Most Wellgo pedals are actually pretty good, the b54 and the MG-1 are good. But if they aren't that new pedals n shoes will make a big difference. Most people run 5.10s. I think they are good, but only marginally better than a lot of other shoes. I like Vans myself. So much more comfy, but still grippy.
agreed...my dh ht built santa cruz jackal has dabomb bulletholes (flats)...but i ALWAYS ride with vans...always have and always will...the bulletholes and the vans work ace together...i have vans authentics

Davo94

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Whats your view on cranks? I want some that are strong but flex a tiny bit to soften the bumps a tinny bit.
Not to mention that I want them cheap

Dave

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

Whats your view on cranks? I want some that are strong but flex a tiny bit to soften the bumps a tinny bit.
Not to mention that I want them cheap

Dave
Shimano SLX.
i use em for DH on my dually, super cheap too, got em 170 posted from crc