The hardtail riding thread

yeah im picking the fork up tomorrow, then rebuilding it with new oil and seals, and lowering it to 60mm.

also ordering a dartmoor raider rim for the back while my wheel is apart (sprayed the hub too), found that the shop i work at actually has an account with them so that makes it a bit easier. hopefully i can get all the parts within a week.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Just a quick question re Hardtails. Are they relatively comfortable to ride distances? Also I have noticed alot of them are single speed. Is there a reason for this, is it possible to buy/swap to multiple speed? Looking for something that i could dual purpose for a small commute and for fun.

Thanks

Last edited:
for small commutes a singlespeed hardtail does fine, if you want to use gears it depends on the hub and frame. as for comfort its hard to say. i am comfortable on mine but thats because im used to it. if you have a long-ish seatpost and a good seat it shouldnt be an issue.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a quick question re Hardtails. Are they relatively comfortable to ride distances? Also I have noticed alot of them are single speed. Is there a reason for this, is it possible to buy/swap to multiple speed? Looking for something that i could dual purpose for a small commute and for fun.

Thanks
What sort of bike have you been riding?

Go single speed and just get stronger legs.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
for commuting I prefer to ride my bmx(i know it ain't a HT) rather than my giant trace for some reason I just prefer SS for commutes

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

I've got a set of Pikes (2009), just wondering how do people lower them? From the stock 110-140, down to 80-110

What do you use for spacers and can get you get specific spacers for the fork?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm assuming they're dual air versions if they're 110-140? You can run more negative than positive air in your forks which sucks them down into their travel. I did it with my dual air revelations and it worked great. They will run a little softer initially but ramp up really nicely, I liked the set up.

Otherwise there are generic travel spacers which you pop in the fork to lower them. Google it, there's plenty of tutorials.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

lowering your fork is very simple once you have all the right tools and have read the tutorials, i recently did this for the first time myself, just on a different fork, they are all similar though. if its a dual air and not coil its fairly simple and not ghetto, just add spacers to the travel rod and put the fork back together the opposite way you took it apart. usually you dont even have to touch the damper side. with coil forks you sometimes need to cut the spring. remember to let all the air out of the fork and have the correct oil weights and volumes and you should be ok.

rockshox has service manuals online so all the info should be in there.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet, pulled them apart before to respray the lowers and install new seals. It is a dual-air, found a good guide on bikeradar on how to lower them, seems actually very easy.

Will see if I can get a spacer kit off Monza next week.

Cheers for the info.

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Just picked up a Leaf Ruler frame today and my old tensioners don't fit in it, and because I have the QR skewer it's not doing up tight enough.
What does everyone use on the rear?

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Just picked up a Leaf Ruler frame today and my old tensioners don't fit in it, and because I have the QR skewer it's not doing up tight enough.
My hub is a 10mm bolt up, and I run no tensioner,
if by chance you have hope hubs, you can buy conversion kits.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rulers have horizontal drop outs, you shouldn't need a tensioner. if it is too short/long just put one half link in your chain to get the right length.

yeah hope make a conversion it for 10mm bolt up. i highly recommend doing that. its fairly simple to convert it, at most youll need a rubber mallet to tap the axle out. i love hope because they have all the diagrams online, so if you have bits left over after reassembling the hub you can look it up there, also they have great customer service.

also the fluoro yellow 831 and pro 2 ss is almost ready. lowered it to 60mm just need oil and seals. also a rim. hopefully dartmoor raider or maybe an ns trailmaster.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
edit: just saw the other posts, yep conversion kit is definitely the go for your hope hubs!

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
$33 on CRC is alright. Thanks for that guys!
Yeah I know how to pull it apart. Simple as! I'm really loving these hubs more and more all the time!

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Spending all that time rawing my other frame back was a waste of time... Picked up the Leaf D.Two (not a ruler as I later found out) with a headset thrown in for $199. Pretty happy! :)

Any good places to ride it in Melbourne when I'm there in 3 weeks?

48201_288378434600135_69005239_o.jpg

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Spending all that time rawing my other frame back was a waste of time... Picked up the Leaf D.Two (not a ruler as I later found out) with a headset thrown in for $199. Pretty happy! :)

Any good places to ride it in Melbourne when I'm there in 3 weeks?
mate she looks good!! Nice to see your running the stem sallaaaaaamed!!!