The hardtail riding thread

leadz

Likes Bikes
Mine's a regular, pretty happy with the new wheels too, front is dt 330 with dt comps laced to ztr flow, rear is dartmoor k-drive, dartmoor spokes laced to dartmoor raider.
Will there be anything wrong with running all my BB spacers on the drive side? The sprocket doesn't clear the frame otherwise...
Hi dude.
Just run one spacer on the drive side just to clear the frame and no spacers on the non drive side and she will be good too go.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi dude.
Just run one spacer on the drive side just to clear the frame and no spacers on the non drive side and she will be good too go.
No, i need to run 3 spacers so the BB is spaced correctly.

If i have 2 spacers or less on the drive side the sprocket will hit the frame.

well youll need to make sure your non drive side crank arm clears the frame, but will probably need a longer spindle if you want your cranks to be centred in the frame.
Nah the arms clear the frame no worries, it's just the sprocket.

Also, rawed and polished my bars today, turned out pretty neat....
1353047721281.jpg

Last edited:

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Just throwing this out there...

How many people are using BMX style cranks?
I know that I have to get a longer spindle to suit them,
I have Saints on my amp and was considering swapping to Profiles or similar...

Last edited:
profiles are good. some of the cheaper cranks you can get here and theyre very strong. they also now use a standard 6mm allen key and not a 7mm which means no more extra tools to carry around. theyre easy to install and with a spline drive sprocket theres very little that can come loose when riding.

you might need a longer spindle than the standard one, id also recommend a deity external euro bb because the bearings will last longer than an internal bb cup.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Is there any reason behind your choice in cranks?
Also where am I likely to find a longer spindle to suit them? (Admittedly I haven't searched yet)
Is there any other cranks that I should look for?
I've really only ever used MTB style cranks so I'm new to this...

i have a mid bb, so i have to run bmx cranks.

profiles are cheaper than most cranks and are easy to install. the weight isnt bad and theyre strong, theres plenty of setups possible on profile cranks ( spindle length, arm length, lhd, rhd, spline drive only etc.) the crank bolt is also fairly far in so i dont tend to hit my ankle on it like i do on my animal cranks or any mtb crank that ive used.

profile and deity make longer spindles, either will work. eci imports has some so any shop that deals with profile, fit, kink should be able to get them.

demolition medials are also good, if youre a hack the animal cranks are some of the stiffest ive ever used.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
hey guys with my morewood frame it has vertical dropouts, if i run a half link chain do i still have to use a chain tensioner?
It really depends on your gearing, I had an STP 0 with a half link but it was still slack, I tried putting a bigger rear sprocket, (cos I already had a 36 on the front), on it and it seemed to fix my problem...

Wazza3

Squid
I found that even using a half link I wasn't getting enough tension so I'm running a chain tensioner. I also found that I stretched the half link so I got rid of that.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found that even using a half link I wasn't getting enough tension so I'm running a chain tensioner. I also found that I stretched the half link so I got rid of that.
Every chain you buy is going to stretch, not just half link chains.

funnily enough out of the chains ive used, my shadow interlock was one of the best in terms of stretch (the only chain that was better was the kmc 510 which is really strong) normally its the other way around.

buy a good quality half link and youll notice the difference. the cheap ybn ones are shit.

anyway, R.I.P. fox 831. its now cracked and bent after one too many 360 drop attempts (footjams didnt help either, the crack is mostly behind the arch near the seal). replaced it with a 36 float rc2 which feels way more solid. if i crack this ill be very surprised and will resort to finding some second hand totems haha.

Last edited:

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of trying out a set of NS District bars for a few weeks, just to see whats the go with riser bars...
I'm pretty sure they're a 22.2 clamp area, so I was wondering what stems you guys are using...

it was a rhetorical question ;) just saying its a great stem. but yeah, going to a 22.2mm bar clamp is more so you can use a higher rise bar, it wont make a huge difference.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
it was a rhetorical question ;) just saying its a great stem. but yeah, going to a 22.2mm bar clamp is more so you can use a higher rise bar, it wont make a huge difference.
yeah I know it wont make a difference, its just the bars are a mates an he offered to lend them to me...
Ive only used flat bars before so im a newbie when it comes to 22.2 stems... the only one i know of is the elementary stem which is what Ive got...