The hardtail riding thread

on a bmx with pegs its so when you double peg or crooked grind your sprocket doesnt hit the rail and get mangled. on my bike its so i can grind on my crank arm without having to worry about damaging my sprocket, and also lets me grind on my bb shell

FMS

Likes Bikes
on a bmx with pegs its so when you double peg or crooked grind your sprocket doesnt hit the rail and get mangled. on my bike its so i can grind on my crank arm without having to worry about damaging my sprocket, and also lets me grind on my bb shell
How strange does it feel?
Having the weight on the lh side

Last edited:
How strange does it feel?
Having the weight on the lh side
dont notice it when riding, other than a lack of me going over the bars doing crank arm grinds.

you notice it more when you go to work on your bike and keep putting it in your stand the wrong way and the drivetrain is facing the wall haha.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Building a new bike this afternoon.. complete parts bin special after my bike was stolen last year and I blew all my money on proper mtbs.

I'm going to try and relive my youth with somethings I always wanted to do back in the day. Aaron Chase style neutral gear, and a 26t E-13 SST chainguide if I can find one now..

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I'd post my ns suburban up. Got it 2nd hand and changed pretty much every component except for the wheels and seat clamp. I think its an 06 model can anyone confirm?

ns suburban nice.jpg

Manitou Circus Comp dropped to 80mm - Hadley - 24" MTX - Profile Race - Odyssey - Thomson - Octane One - Shimano SLX
12.1kg as it stands
Thinking of running resin pads to improve cold bite

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

think ill build myself a new cody with rainbow metallic spokes ( mixed of blue/purple/gold/green), all black spec and purple textris grips, and i dont even ride street!

Last edited:

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a sneeky fang on the STP this arvo. Anyways I have a few rollers and a berm near the local train station, Police patrol the station which is a good thing but they also like to see what a young punk is doing late at night on a bike.

They come driving towards me high beams on, but they dont know there is huge ditch there... BANG smack stuck. I roll over and ask them are they ok? Not happy they try and ignore me when they realise im not 15 years old and actually sold him a bike a few weeks back. :crazy:

haha thats pretty good, most of them are ok but you get the occasional kook.

ive been told to sit against the fence and empty my pockets for riding my bike in the middle of the day at a skatepark. the reason: theres graffiti there and were checking for spray cans... :crazy: seriously? searching me and my bag and asking me where i bought my bike just for riding? then get questioned about why i need to carry a 17mm extension socket in my bag? (was on my bmx with pegs at the time)

Macca8530

Likes Dirt
Just got back into riding, bought a 2013 norco 250. Changed a few things like brake to a avid elixir 3, and chucked on some lock on grips. Just wondering what everyones running for tyres as the geax tattoos are great for park/street, but i mainly ride dirt and they get flats really easy and are abit slippery. Was looking at either holy rollers, or schwalbe tabletops, also maybe small block 8,s? What sizes are people running on the front and back also?

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Ive run DTHs, theyre rad, just theyre no good for non groomed trails. ie. dusty, loose. in 2.3 and 2.1, I'm currently running DMR supermotos, I love them to death, and am going to get more.. theyre pretty much the same deal as the DTHs, not flash for dusty loose trails. SB8s are the tits...

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Building a new bike this afternoon.. complete parts bin special after my bike was stolen last year and I blew all my money on proper mtbs.

I'm going to try and relive my youth with somethings I always wanted to do back in the day. Aaron Chase style neutral gear, and a 26t E-13 SST chainguide if I can find one now..
What'd you build?

Also I'm running 9mm, pretty stiff haha. Some nice bikes being posted! Yours looks sweet now rob!

Ns Capitol 26" ridged, rhyno lite, g-sport ratchet, dth, district high bars.

Still getting used to it, I want to change the cranks and get suspension one day. Also I need some riding buddies

Attachments

Macca8530

Likes Dirt
Thanks man. I ordered some folding tabletops in 26x2.25 so hopefully they'll be a sweet tyre. I might have to look at DMR supermotos or sb8's down the track

Ive run DTHs, theyre rad, just theyre no good for non groomed trails. ie. dusty, loose. in 2.3 and 2.1, I'm currently running DMR supermotos, I love them to death, and am going to get more.. theyre pretty much the same deal as the DTHs, not flash for dusty loose trails. SB8s are the tits...

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What'd you build?

Also I'm running 9mm, pretty stiff haha. Some nice bikes being posted! Yours looks sweet now rob!

Ns Capitol 26" ridged, rhyno lite, g-sport ratchet, dth, district high bars.

Still getting used to it, I want to change the cranks and get suspension one day. Also I need some riding buddies
There's plenty of buddies in Sydney! Come back,

I did a terrible thing and got an STP. But it goes alright. Weighs in a shade over 10kgs and cost me $30 all up to build.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One day! Tho having to find a new flat for the 4th time might wear Sam down enough that she gives up on noosa, so maybe it will be sooner then expected.

Haha nothing wrong with riding an stp, especially for $30 0_o

Haha I must say its nice to have scabs and pedal cuts all over my legs again, must be riding more!

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks man. I ordered some folding tabletops in 26x2.25 so hopefully they'll be a sweet tyre. I might have to look at DMR supermotos or sb8's down the track
Running folding tabletops now, awesome tyre, the lightest in its class too. had dmr's before and they were a good 200g heavier each - made a big difference to the way the bike felt when rotating it.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
SB8 claims lighter....
I've run both and gotta say the sb8 shits all over everything. I had to lower the psi in my TT by about 10psi in order to get any grip compared to the sb8.
Friend recently got the Slant Six, said it was great and grippy. DMR tires are super heavy, i've got some that come in over a kilo ><

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One day! Tho having to find a new flat for the 4th time might wear Sam down enough that she gives up on noosa, so maybe it will be sooner then expected.

Haha nothing wrong with riding an stp, especially for $30 0_o
Hooray! I don't ride much street any more, need more people to get me out on the little bikes.

The STP goes surprisingly alright, took a bit of adjusting but I can ride it quite confidentially.

Table tops don't grip very well at all, found them quite disappointing. SB8s are good but wear out a little fast. KHE make the lightest street/dirt tire going at $100 an end there are better value places to save weight though. I've found DTHs to be the best trade off between grip/wear/price/weight. I've had success running xc tires with shorter more compact tread patterns, it really depends on how much of a hack you are though.. I'd love to give some maxxis 310s a go.

im riding more park now so i lost a few things, would like to start riding street more but not so motivated to ride by myself when most street spots are an hour away.

the knobblies on sb8s flex too much for park i found, theyre too soft for my liking. for street im running bombtrack helix tyres and while theyre heavy, they grip really well and roll fast.

dth is the best all rounder, but towards the end of their life they puncture so easily. i was getting flats almost every ride when i switched them over. MAC2s were going for about $60 when i got mine, but good luck finding them anywhere, sold out in pretty much every online store. they also wear out pretty fast, if youve got boatloads of money to blow on tyres their great, less flats than the dth and very fast and grippy.

why cant they make aitkens and hawks in 26" :(

Last edited: