The Snow Thread

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
Going to thredbo tomorrow, but wont start skiing til saturday.

got a few new bits of kit..

-westbeach 2010 jacket
-Smith Phenom goggles, with higher grade lense
-Swany gloves of some sort, cost a fair bit too
-Snow proof electric hat

I seriously hope there's going to be enough snow left!!

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
-Smith Phenom goggles, with higher grade lense

-Snow proof electric hat
personaly id wear a helmet!

and what lens??

iv heard nothing but excellent comments about the sensor mirror lens by smith! wish i could afford a set of new goggles, id defiantly get phenoms with a sensor lens. might chuck em on my next backcountry order actualy.

was up at falls ysterday... VERY VERY rain damaged up there.. there was no ruined castle park, heard conflicting reports, one was that they knocked everything down for stylewars last weekend, and the other was that, all the rain during the week made the park unrepairable, so they decided to start from scratch..

either way was freakin shit.. was aperfect park day, fairly windy, good vis, and slushy snow.

was on way at at 3pm... which is odd for me.

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
I've been snowboarding up at buller the last 2 weekends...and I'm hooked.

Looking into buying some gear, but don't really know what to look for. I've only spent 3 days boarding, so I'm still pretty ordinary, but confident. Spent most of my time over around Wombat etc. just mucking around really.
I'm around the 5'8", 60kg mark. Last weekend had a 149 board, then this time had a 155 (hire gear), I found the shorter board all around more enjoyable + comfortable.

So what should I be looking for in a board/bindings/boots? Is snow gear anything like bike parts in that its much cheaper to buy online from O/S? I'd imagine you'd buy a board/bindings from O/S but boots would be something you'd buy locally for the perfect fit. How much do I have to spend to get something decent, and how should the spending be broken down? eg. boots as the most important part then bindings followed by board?

I'm a n00b, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be swell!

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
personaly id wear a helmet!
and what lens??

iv heard nothing but excellent comments about the sensor mirror lens by smith! wish i could afford a set of new goggles, id defiantly get phenoms with a sensor lens. might chuck em on my next backcountry order actualy.
I believe it is a sensor lense on the goggles and they also have a little dot thingy on the left side that i have no idea about. I do know though, that I never once had foggy goggles, NOT ONCE!!! Best goggles I've ever had and should last a fair few seasons. Got them 20% off at ESS store.

The goggles are the ones below, but with a higher quality tint.

2 mates had stacks on the weekend, one with a broken collar bone from slipping on a rail, and one with a broken wrist from skiing off a run. The wrist was the worst, because they had to massage his wrist for 30 mins trying to get the bones back in place, OUCH!!

BTW did anyone see the HUGE jump at the top of merrits? I swear they must have spent a week building the down ramp!! looked so smooth too. They were having a big air comp, but I didn't get to see it.

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
BTW did anyone see the HUGE jump at the top of merrits? I swear they must have spent a week building the down ramp!! looked so smooth too. They were having a big air comp, but I didn't get to see it.
yea i seen it looked huge everyday that i went up there they were pushing more snow on it.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
hey im looking at buying a millennium three snowboard and bindings set up, the sizing options i have for the bindings is either medium or large, i am yet to buy boots and i am a size 10 in shoes so what would be the binding size i need.

thanx

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Well, due to the dust storm I skied on red snow this morning. Unfortunately didn't have the camera, but these two shots are taken from Monday.

Both are me. :)

Antons 45 footer.

Antons butter-pad.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
last weekend of season here in vic...

and look what fuckin happens, 30-40cms of fresh snow fallen at buller in 24 hours! with more to come!

could end up being a 60cm dump and the dick heads aint gunna extend the season.

looks like my drinking today will have to be cut back to head up tommorow, did the first day of season, and ill do the last day.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I just spent the day up in Thredbo in 25cm or so of fresh pow. Fun times.

They were predicting 50-80cm over Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, but I don't think it'll happen. Hopefully we get another 20 or so tonight.

The bottom is still sketchy as hell though.

whatsername223

Likes Dirt
was so pissed about this... just got brand new 4frnt stl's the other day in a sale, expecting not being able to go up. So i didnt get the bindings fitted. Now this darn dump comes. FML

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Interested in buying some snow gear for next season. Does anyone know any decent and reliable online sites (preferably US) as the AU dollar is up. Looking at buying the usual gear; pants, jacket, goggles, helmet etc. Is this a good time or do i need to wait for the US season to finish up?

Cheers.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Any Euro/US/northern people on this thread looking forward to winter? I'm going to Colorado for a short project in the next couple of weeks and am looking forward to doing some skiing if there's some decent snow.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Any Euro/US/northern people on this thread looking forward to winter? I'm going to Colorado for a short project in the next couple of weeks and am looking forward to doing some skiing if there's some decent snow.
Hell yeah I'm looking forward to it! Doing 4 months at northstar-at-tahoe in California. So stoked to ride some REAL powder. Not sure if there'll be enough snow in the next couple of weeks, but you could get lucky...

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
When mate?
I'm gonna be in summit county from about the 20th Dec to 30th or so.

New board waiting for me in Denver - custom titanal Donek, can't farkin wait, it's gonna be sick.

BTW Loveland is the place for early season snow. I think they usually open early Nov. Worked a season as a lifty there.

And then i'm off to chamonix and italy...

Anyone know of places to stay in Cham that won't be booked up at New years? Was gonna spend New Years there with teh girlie but can't find accom. Lucky she checked I usually find something when I get there...

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to it! Doing 4 months at northstar-at-tahoe in California. So stoked to ride some REAL powder. Not sure if there'll be enough snow in the next couple of weeks, but you could get lucky...
sierra cement isnt real powder!

Bud Weiser

Likes Dirt
STOP BUYING ONLINE!!!!!!

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL STORE AND THE WILL SUPPORT YOU

I dont want to start that whole debate but its the same in the snow community as the bike community.

Now if you want an incredibly good store with no big flashy bullshit and a good crew of workers who ride and you live in Melbourne you must visit MELBOURNE SNOWBOARD CENTER!!! they will do you the best price and always sell you what you need and are out there to provide you as the rider the best experience on the mountain possible!

Go visit them:

MELBOURNE SNOWBOARD CENTER
392 Plenty Rd Preston
http://www.melbournesnowboardcentre.com.au/

(they operate as a wake store in summer and snow in winter but the new store has snow display year round and they can always get you what you want.)

I know i sound like im selling for them but they are my local store and i have always had the best experience shopping there and it is now the only place i shop!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Bollocks. When local stores start selling what I want, at prices that a reasonable, then I'll do it.

At the moment, I can get a full custom, titanal/carbon board for what boring-as-shit fiberglass stock shapes go for locally.